Tips/Info for Ruby Princess to Alaska 2015

Luvsnorkeling

Do you know if the Ruby has the Princess @ Sea available? We leave Sunday and would love to stay in touch onboard with a couple of teens!

Princess@sea is available (lets you check your onboard account, see the Patter, etc). However, I do not know if the messenger add on for Princess@sea is available yet.

What is the earliest you can get off the ship when disembarking on your own? We have an 11:30 a.m. flight. Don't want to be too stressed out. Are cabs readily available returning to the airport?

The earliest you can get off is about 0715-0730. You should have no problem with making an 1130 flight. If you get an early disembark time you should have no problem at all making your flight. There will be a line of cabs just across the driveway from the building you will exit from and there will be people directing you so you should have no problem finding the taxi line as the bright yellow cabs are very visible. The drive to SeaTac airport is about a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic.

Tom

Tom,

What is the wheelchair situation like at the pier? We are taking my 87 year old mother and she needs wheelchair assistance to board the ship. It is already on the Princess reservation but I am wondering if it is a long wait for the assistance and where we find it?

We were on the first cruise of the season......May 3........

I have a comment on the food..........the king crab legs were GREAT........I'm fussy about crab & know crab.....from the Pacific Northwest........a large portion & the legs were sliced so you didn't have to break them open.........I thought the deserts were great........sweet & tasty.......even in the IC.........

We enjoyed the ship & food so much that we are going back on Sept 6 on the Ruby........

We did self disembark & were leaving the ship at 7:15am............

This was our 9th cruise to Alaska.....not all on Princess.........

Sharon

Edited by L&S80
forgot something

Tom,

What is the wheelchair situation like at the pier? We are taking my 87 year old mother and she needs wheelchair assistance to board the ship. It is already on the Princess reservation but I am wondering if it is a long wait for the assistance and where we find it?

Whether there is a wheelchair available immediately upon your arrival at the pier depends on many things such as how many people have arrived before you and who need a wheelchair and the actual time of your arrival. That said, yes, there will be wheelchairs available for your mother but it may take a few minutes to get one to you. I see that you're from Quebec and so I'm going to assume that you're going to be coming to the pier either by bus from the airport or a hotel or by taxi from the airport. If that is the case, then the wheelchairs will be very close by as they will be under the covered awning between where the buses pull in and where the taxi's pull in. If you are coming to the pier via a limo from somewhere or by private auto then the wheelchairs will be beside where you come in and will come over to your area to pick up your mother once they know that you need a wheelchair. Just tell any of the people in uniform that will be working with the vehicles that you need a chair and they'll notify us.

Now, one thing that will affect how long it will take a chair to reach you how many chairs are already taking people upstairs for processing. In this regard, please remember that the Ruby is full for your cruise and there will be one other ship (a Holland-America ship) also at the pier so there will be about 4500 people getting on the 2 ships and there is no telling how many will need wheelchairs.

When the wheelchair does arrive to take your mother into the building, the other person in her cabin can accompany her through ADA processing. The rest of your party will go through normal processing. What I would suggest is that the rest of your party take care of everybody's luggage (if it's not already been turned in at the airport) except for what will be carried on by them onto the ship and go on in and begin processing. Your mother and her cabin-mate can have a seat on a bench where they got off the bus/limo/whatever and wait for the arrival of the chair. Their processing will probably be much quicker than the regular processing so they may very well beat the rest of you onto the ship anyway!!

One thing to please be sure of is that everyone has all of their travel documents in their personal possession (passports, etc.) and that they are NOT in their bags!! Everyone will have to show their IDs prior to being allowed into the building and a missing or lost ID document can cause serious problems and a long delay in getting on the ship so this is a critical thing, especially if the baggage containing the documents have already been turned in at the airport!

Once your mother goes through security and check-in she will be transferred to a ship's chair which will take her on board the ship. Again, there may or may not be a short delay if all the ship's chairs are currently moving passengers. But by that time, all the "work" is done and she'll be all processed and have her cruise card in her hand!

One last thing. Here's some info on weather in Seattle this coming weekend.

"Here's the latest update on your weekend Seattle weather.

For those of you who will be arriving in Seattle on Saturday, the 6th of June, the high for that day is predicted to be 80 degrees and sunny with a 0% chance of rain, so make sure to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses and cool clothes. Departure day, Sunday, the 7th of June is also predicted to be 83 and sunny with a 0% chance of rain.

The ship is going to be about full both on it's return to Seattle and on your departure so take that into consideration. Another thing to remember is that the Ruby will not be the only ship at the pier. Holland-America's Amsterdam will also be there so that will mean that it will be a bit more crowded with about 4500+/- passengers getting off the two ships and another 4500 +/- getting on.

The weather in Alaska has been very good so far this year with almost no rainy days according to the returning passengers, so that's good news!"

Hope you have a safe trip to Seattle and a great time on your cruise! If you have any other questions, please let me know. See you at the pier!

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
add info

Tom,

Thanks for all the information.

We are sailing on August 2nd.

We will be arriving from the Hampton Inn Downtown by their shuttle. My mother has a cabin to herself but there are 10 of us to help her.

Is there a time that you would suggest is the best to arrive at the pier? Sometimes a little later is better than earlier.

Debbie

Tom,

Thanks for all the information.

We are sailing on August 2nd.

We will be arriving from the Hampton Inn Downtown by their shuttle. My mother has a cabin to herself but there are 10 of us to help her.

Is there a time that you would suggest is the best to arrive at the pier? Sometimes a little later is better than earlier.

Debbie

Oh, I thought you were on the cruise this coming Sunday. Okay, for the Roll Call for your cruise on 2 Aug, here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156875

Since she's in a cabin by herself, I'd suggest one of you check in with her so she'll have someone to be with while the rest of the group is getting through the process.

As to when to show up, if I were showing up at Pier 91 and I wanted to get on with as little hassle as possible and get onboard easily and quickly I would show up at the pier at about 1030. By that time almost all (if not all) of those disembarking should be off the ship and the embarking passengers may very well be already starting to be allowed into the building. The second best time, in my opinion, is to show up at the pier at around 2-2:30pm. By that time the vast majority of the passengers have already been processed and are on board already. The advantage of that is usually you have very short (if any) lines to get in the building, go through security or to go through check-in. The downside of arriving at this time is that there are usually lines at the buffet on the Lido deck and your bags will be some of the last ones delivered to your rooms so if you will need clothes to change into for dinner that may be a problem.

The hotel shuttle will let you off in the POV (privately owned vehicles) area. If you want to have a longshoreman take care of your baggage, have the luggage tags already stapled onto your bags and they can take your bags from you right there at the shuttle. The next time you'll see them will be when they arrive at your individual cabins. Again, I need to stress that you need to make sure that your travel docs are NOT in those bags. Each person should have their own docs with them. As to longshoremen, you will see two different types. One will have red vest-type shirts on and another will have bright yellowish-green ones with silver stripes. The ones wearing red handle Holland-America passenger bags only so you will be looking for one wearing the yellowish-green ones as they only handle Princess passengers.

Any other questions, let me know.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
add info

Tom,

Thanks again for all the info about the Seattle piers. I have been on 75+ cruises so I know the drill and I will make sure that my family is well prepared.

Last time I cruised from Seattle we got to the port around 2pm and walked right on the ship.

We also were on the Ruby last week. Here are some of my random thoughts.

I loved the Crown Grill. Both food and service were excellent. Was not as impressed with MDR or buffet but I still found plenty to eat. Also liked the Pub lunch served on Monday and Saturday.

Really liked the band Passion.

Agree with OP that going ashore was a pain. Long, snaking lines were not good with elderly family members with limited mobility.

Both embarkation (got there about 11:00) and disembarkation (were in walk off group 3 and was off by 8:00) went much better then I could've hoped!

My kids did go swimming. First pool they tried was not heated but they moved to a nearby one (way in back of boat) that was heated.

Overall... A great trip!

Hope you have a safe trip to Seattle and a great time on your cruise! If you have any other questions, please let me know. See you at the pier!

Tom

thanks so much for all this info. I don't care if I have to eat hotdogs all week.it's ALASKA!!! I do have a question...I will be in a back brace will I have to take it off to go through security?? Thanks in advance.

I do have a question...I will be in a back brace will I have to take it off to go through security?? Thanks in advance.

No, you won't have to take it off. When you get to the end of the security line and hand the person your passport, just tell him/her that you have a back brace on and that it will set off the machine and they will tell you that you will get patted down on the other side of the scanner. You'll then collect any carry on items that you've sent through the scanner and will be patted down. Once you've been patted down you will collect your carry on items and proceed to the check-in line.

Tom

Is Creek Street in Ketchikan within walking distance of the Pier or do we need to take a bus? I read a while back that Princess was parked the furthest away. I printed out a map and it doesn't look too far :rolleyes:

Just off the star and found the deserts plenty sweet,and I like sweet deserts. Limited but usually one good one each night. Ice cream was fine. The Norman Love deserts were both very good.

The veal scallopini on Italian night was good. Good marsala flavor,nice variety of mushrooms,good sauce and tender meat.

The one area that has declined is the pasta.very boring and similar sauce every night. Often times ingredients not as described

Is Creek Street in Ketchikan within walking distance of the Pier or do we need to take a bus? I read a while back that Princess was parked the furthest away. I printed out a map and it doesn't look too far :rolleyes:

It's about a block away from where the ship will be docked. Here are a couple of links to help you.

info: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=25

map: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31030-d106663-Reviews-Creek_Street-Ketchikan_Alaska.html#MAPVIEW

Tom

Yes its within walking distance.

By the time you find the bus you will be there. ;)

My 2 cents

I couldn't agree more with the OP about the desserts the last year or so . As the OP reported I've noticed on my last 5 or 6 cruises that most (not all) of the desserts lack the sufficient sweetness and flavor that I remembered previously , and while food and tastes are very subjective, desserts at a minimum should taste like what's described on the menu and what it appears to be, and not IMO bland and basically tasteless as seems to be the case lately on Princess ships.

Of course as always YMMV

Srpilo

No, you won't have to take it off. When you get to the end of the security line and hand the person your passport, just tell him/her that you have a back brace on and that it will set off the machine and they will tell you that you will get patted down on the other side of the scanner. You'll then collect any carry on items that you've sent through the scanner and will be patted down. Once you've been patted down you will collect your carry on items and proceed to the check-in line.

Tom

thanks...it's a hassle to get it off and on and I prefer to wear it under my clothes..so this will work!!

Edited by TXRed

What I would suggest is that the rest of your party take care of everybody's luggage (if it's not already been turned in at the airport)

Another question please....what do you mean 'if it's not already turned in at the airport' How does this work? turned into who? Again a huge thanks in advance

Just pulled our paperwork from week 3's cruise. The EZ Check group with flights between 11:00 and 11:59 AM was the first off the ship and disembarked at 7:40 as did groups 1 & 2 who carried their own luggage. EZ Check with flights between noon and 4 PM disembarked at 7:50. Next 2 groups walking off with their own luggage left at 7:55 AM with all others at approximate 5 minute intervals. Last group was off the ship at 10:30.

If you want to be in a particular time slot, be sure to go to passenger services and request it. Even if they assign you a time and give disembarkation tags in your cabin, it can still be changed. We changed ours.

Saw plenty of taxis outside once we disembarked. If you are needing to go to the airport, I recommend Express Shuttle at $12 a person. You can find them online. We used them from our hotel to the pier and then back from the pier to the airport. $24 round trip per person.

Cannot speak to the Princess@Sea as we did not use it.

Obviously, sweetness of desserts is a matter of personal preference just as saltiness of other things can be. You'll have to judge for yourself...

From where we docked in Ketchikan, Creek Street was a good 7-8 block walk. It was quite doable if you have no mobility issues. If you do, take the free shuttle that runs from the ship to various points downtown. It runs about every 15-20 minutes.