Tips/Info for Ruby Princess to Alaska 2015

Luvsnorkeling

Tom,

We are thinking of coming to the ship on August 2nd at around 2pm. Is that usually a time when it isn't so busy? A better chance of getting a wheelchair quickly?

Thanks

If your mission is to avoid lines, that is a good time to arrive and yes, normally that is a rather slack time for wheelchair requests. Of course there is always a possibility that you'll arrive 5 minutes after a bus that has a need for 3-4 wheelchairs. :rolleyes: The lines are usually short to not at all around then but if you are in a wheelchair you're going to be avoiding almost all of the lines anyway.

If you're arriving at the pier by bus or taxi the wheelchairs will be right there where you're located. If you're arriving by towncar or private vehicle, you'll still be in the same general area and the just a bit to your east on the Princess side of the pier. Just let a porter know or one of the gentlemen handling traffic control that you need a wheelchair and they'll let us know.

In case you're not arriving via bus from the airport or hotel, I'm attaching a copy of the health form that you'll need to fill out. Just print the form out (one for each person 18 or older) and fill it out and you'll be a bit ahead of the game. (You can fill out the heading and sign it any time, but please don't answer the 4 questions until the date of your sailing so that the info is timely.)

Hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know what other questions you might have.

Tom

Health forms-300dpi.pdf

Thanks for all your help.

We will be arriving by transfer from the Hampton Inn downtown. We figured that if we come after lunch we will miss it being so busy and also miss the buffet being so busy on the ship.

I have already printed out the health form for everyone in my family.

Thanks for all your help.

We will be arriving by transfer from the Hampton Inn downtown. We figured that if we come after lunch we will miss it being so busy and also miss the buffet being so busy on the ship.

I have already printed out the health form for everyone in my family.

The buffet will be slammed all afternoon on embarkation day.

If your mission is to avoid lines, that is a good time to arrive and yes, normally that is a rather slack time for wheelchair requests. Of course there is always a possibility that you'll arrive 5 minutes after a bus that has a need for 3-4 wheelchairs. :rolleyes: The lines are usually short to not at all around then but if you are in a wheelchair you're going to be avoiding almost all of the lines anyway.

If you're arriving at the pier by bus or taxi the wheelchairs will be right there where you're located. If you're arriving by towncar or private vehicle, you'll still be in the same general area and the just a bit to your east on the Princess side of the pier. Just let a porter know or one of the gentlemen handling traffic control that you need a wheelchair and they'll let us know.

In case you're not arriving via bus from the airport or hotel, I'm attaching a copy of the health form that you'll need to fill out. Just print the form out (one for each person 18 or older) and fill it out and you'll be a bit ahead of the game. (You can fill out the heading and sign it any time, but please don't answer the 4 questions until the date of your sailing so that the info is timely.)

Hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know what other questions you might have.

Tom

Do you know if the other cruiselines use the same Public Health Questionnaire. We will be on a Holland cruise before our Princess cruise?

Thank you for the information.

I can not use EZ Program as I am Canadian and will use Air Canada. If I can get the 11:25am flight it will be 5 hour flight home vs going through Vancouver depending on the connection 8 or more hours.

I will be travelling solo.

If you can get the shuttle information that you be great.

We just got off the Ruby last week. We did self embarkation for an 11:25 a.m. flight. We were in group number 3. We met in the lounge at 7:40, waited about 10 minutes and they let us off. Security was very quick. Cabs were lined up outside so as soon as we walked off the ship we were able to hop into a cab immediately. There was no traffic and we arrived at the airport at 8:20. We had 3 hours to spare before our flight.

For anyone interested, every night was BOGO drinks in the Skywalker lounge between 10 and 11 p.m. It was even quite lively there, a good DJ and dancing. Not like our last cruise on Ruby where everyone was in their cabins by 10 p.m. LOL. We seemed to have a younger crowed on this ship than when we took Ruby to the Caribbean 5 years ago.

Also as far as the health questionnaire, it took approximately 1 minute to fill out. The woman was still processing us in while we filled it out and we were done filling it out before she was even done checking us in.

Edited by lauren0309

Do you know if the other cruiselines use the same Public Health Questionnaire. We will be on a Holland cruise before our Princess cruise?

I cannot speak for all the cruise lines, but the form I posted will work for Princess and Holland-America sailing out of Seattle.

Tom

I cannot speak for all the cruise lines, but the form I posted will work for Princess and Holland-America sailing out of Seattle.

Tom

thank you, it looks like the same I have used out of Florida.

• 3 weeks later...

You might look at one of these services. I believe they can both handle wheelchairs if you are able to climb aboard their smaller motor coaches but am not sure if they have lifts if you are unable to do that.

Shuttle Express Info: http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Seattle Express Info: http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html or

EMAIL: mattseattleexpress@yahoo.com

CALL: (206) 793-8430 or Make a Reservation

If neither of those fit your needs, you might try Yellow Cab at (206) 622-6500. Their website is at http://www.seattleyellowcab.com/

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom--we need to get to the airport car rental area as we are going to spend a few days in Oregon post cruise. Is there a specific transportation method you would recommend (there will be only two of us)? Also, is Uber popular in Seattle? (my daughter drives locally) We want to get to our car ASAP as we'll have a long day of driving the first day. Think we can request an early time off or is that just for those with flights to catch?

Thanks for the info you've provided so far...I'm a little nervous about the extra traffic from Hempfest as that is the weekend we'll be in Seattle pre-cruise. I took notes! :D

Tom,

Thanks for all the information.

We are sailing on August 2nd.

We will be arriving from the Hampton Inn Downtown by their shuttle. My mother has a cabin to herself but there are 10 of us to help her.

Is there a time that you would suggest is the best to arrive at the pier? Sometimes a little later is better than earlier.

Debbie

THANK YOU!I've started planning my Bucket List 65th Birthday cruise to Alaska in 2022 doing both Glacier Bay on the Crown, and Tracy Arm on the Ruby. I had considered the Four Points by Sheraton hotel, but as you have a Disabled Person travelling with you, will change my selection to your recommendation due to your local knowledge. I realise the schedules may be completely different, just wanting a baseline cost so I can start putting a small amount aside each fortnight so the savings start compounding!

Looking forward to your review of your cruise.

Oh, I thought you were on the cruise this coming Sunday. Okay, for the Roll Call for your cruise on 2 Aug, here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156875

Since she's in a cabin by herself, I'd suggest one of you check in with her so she'll have someone to be with while the rest of the group is getting through the process.

As to when to show up, if I were showing up at Pier 91 and I wanted to get on with as little hassle as possible and get onboard easily and quickly I would show up at the pier at about 1030. By that time almost all (if not all) of those disembarking should be off the ship and the embarking passengers may very well be already starting to be allowed into the building. The second best time, in my opinion, is to show up at the pier at around 2-2:30pm. By that time the vast majority of the passengers have already been processed and are on board already. The advantage of that is usually you have very short (if any) lines to get in the building, go through security or to go through check-in. The downside of arriving at this time is that there are usually lines at the buffet on the Lido deck and your bags will be some of the last ones delivered to your rooms so if you will need clothes to change into for dinner that may be a problem.

The hotel shuttle will let you off in the POV (privately owned vehicles) area. If you want to have a longshoreman take care of your baggage, have the luggage tags already stapled onto your bags and they can take your bags from you right there at the shuttle. The next time you'll see them will be when they arrive at your individual cabins. Again, I need to stress that you need to make sure that your travel docs are NOT in those bags. Each person should have their own docs with them. As to longshoremen, you will see two different types. One will have red vest-type shirts on and another will have bright yellowish-green ones with silver stripes. The ones wearing red handle Holland-America passenger bags only so you will be looking for one wearing the yellowish-green ones as they only handle Princess passengers.

Any other questions, let me know.

Tom

THANK YOU! I won't be sailing until 2022 but the information about the shirts has been noted down, and I will double-check that before I sail.

Tom--we need to get to the airport car rental area as we are going to spend a few days in Oregon post cruise. Is there a specific transportation method you would recommend (there will be only two of us)? Also, is Uber popular in Seattle? (my daughter drives locally) We want to get to our car ASAP as we'll have a long day of driving the first day. Think we can request an early time off or is that just for those with flights to catch?

Thanks for the info you've provided so far...I'm a little nervous about the extra traffic from Hempfest as that is the weekend we'll be in Seattle pre-cruise. I took notes! :D

Okay, I'll try to go in the order you asked. Yes, I believe that Uber is fairly popular in Seattle, but I have no personal knowledge about it myself. I did check and came up with this for a URL for Uber info:

https://driveseattleuber.squarespace.com/

Yes, you can get an early time off, it's not just for those with flights to catch. Just request the time you want. The Princess ships normally start offloading their passengers around 7:30am but I have seen them start as early as 7:15am. As an early disembark, you should be completely through debarkation, luggage and customs in about 15-25 minutes, depending on how big a hurry you're in and how fast you can walk. :p

One thing to consider, however, is your baggage. While the quickest way to get through baggage and customs is to bring your bags off yourself (that way you don't have to go looking for your bags in the luggage hall (with an early departure they will be on the right side of the luggage hall almost surely at the far end just before the customs checkpoints if you decide to not bring them off yourselves)) the downside is that you'll be moving them yourselves off the ship and down the escalator/elevator to the first floor. That said, have your customs form (1 per family not 1 per person) filled out before you leave the ship and have the form on the photo page of your passport for the quickest trip through customs (as an early departee it'll be quick anyway but don't forget, Holland-America will be offloading at the same time, albeit a much smaller ship.)

Don't know who you'll be renting a car from but I do know that Enterprise and National (and one more, can't remember who just offhand) do pick up people renting from them right at the pier. If you're renting from any of those companies, when you get outside the building turn right immediately and head back toward the Princess side of the pier and you should see a pair of small desks/stands in front of you with those rental agencies names. That should get you on your way quickly.

If you are renting from another company they'll probably tell you who to call or what to do to get to them. If you need to take a taxi at that time, then when you exit the building, look right in front of you and you should see a long line of (mostly) Yellow Cabs lined up just across the walkway. Cross the walkway and walk out to the front-most cab in the line and they'll get you on your way to where ever you need to go.

Hope this answers your questions and helps you in your planning. If you have any further queries, let me know and I'll try and help. Hope you have a safe trip to/from Seattle and a great cruise! (If you like good cinnamon rolls, go to the Lemon Rose Cafe in Skagway...down the main street to 6th St., turn left and go to blocks and it'll be on your right. Their coffee is good also according to my wife. You can even Google them if search for "lemon rose cafe skagway" on the internet.

See you at the pier!

Tom

P.S. No worry about Hempfest, just take a deep breath as you drive through town and you'll just float up and right over any traffic!:rolleyes: I'm not sure that traffic will be a problem that early in the morning. Ask the rental car people for the easiest/quickest way to I-5 and you'll probably be able to miss most of downtown as they may send you to I-5 via Mercer St which I'd think might keep you away from the heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic associated with Hempfest.

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I was on the 7/12 sailing of Ruby Princess and spent 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise touring Seattle. Used Uber for the 1st time in Seattle and absolutely loved it! The cars are so much cleaner than cabs, the drivers way more courteous, always felt safe, and never waited more than 4-5 minutes with generally 3 minute pick up. Now this was in the areas of space needle, pioneer park and waterfront - popular areas. I am now an Uber convert. If taxis want to keep their business, they need to ride Uber and imitate. I'll never use a cab again if I can help it.

Edited by FM-R

Yes, you can get an early time off, it's not just for those with flights to catch. Just request the time you want.

One thing to consider, however, is your baggage. While the quickest way to get through baggage and customs is to bring your bags off yourself (that way you don't have to go looking for your bags in the luggage hall (with an early departure they will be on the right side of the luggage hall almost surely at the far end just before the customs checkpoints if you decide to not bring them off yourselves)) the downside is that you'll be moving them yourselves off the ship and down the escalator/elevator to the first floor.

On Princess carrying off your own luggage is called "Express walk off."

Several days into the cruise you will get a form asking for your disembarkation preferences. You can ask for the earliest walk off time or you could ask for the earliest time that your luggage will have been brought off by Princess.

When you get you actual assigned time, if it is not what you wanted, go to the Purser's Desk to request the time you want.

On Princess carrying off your own luggage is called "Express walk off."

Several days into the cruise you will get a form asking for your disembarkation preferences. You can ask for the earliest walk off time or you could ask for the earliest time that your luggage will have been brought off by Princess.

When you get you actual assigned time, if it is not what you wanted, go to the Purser's Desk to request the time you want.

Yes, I did forget to mention that the traveler could request an earlier time if they didn't get the time that they needed. Thank you for covering that.

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

I have only been on 2 cruises. My Alaskan one on the Ruby Princess in July 2015 and the first on the Coral Princess to Panama Canal Christmas 2013. I found the Ruby to be much more casual in dress. I don't know if it was because the Coral was a holiday cruise and maybe people dressed up more because they felt more celebratory. Or perhaps because the Ruby had at least 2, maybe 3 nights, with very late excursions. People did dress up more on the Ruby for the 2 formal nights.

• 1 month later...
Anyone on this cruise recommend time for air home from Seattle? Noon ok?

Planning for June on the Crown

Assuming that nothing delays the arrival of the ship in Seattle, and to the best of my recollection there have been no such delays in the last couple of years, you should have no problem making it to the airport for a noon flight.

Tom

Hate to say but I think yes, but then maybe no! I found that disembarkation went very smoothly and timely off the Ruby Princess and a noon departure would have been fine if I only had to rely on Princess, getting to the airport, and my airline. BUT when we left, SeaTac Airport only had 1 - yes, only 1 - security line open for the whole airport. I asked if this was unusual and several locals said they always give themselves no less than 2 - 2 1/2 hours from the time they enter the actual airport, not from the time they leave home or even enter airport parking,, since they never know what to expect from internal operations at airport. We had TSA-Pre and it took us 63 minutes just to get through the security screening - which is more what I would expect from a major airport during a rush hour Monday morning when most business people are going out. Those without TSA-Pre were in hot water. Saw many miss their flight while standing in line for security or many tried to change flights (and had to pay the outrageous airline change fee if had less than premium tickets). So....I'd go for 1 at earliest or maybe 2. I don't know if this is routine at other airports or not, but seemed like SeaTac allows you to check in no more than 4 hours before a flight. Sorry but if I ever travel with SeaTac as my originating airport I'll always give myself 3 hours which is rather sad since I can get home on a flight in that time! Maybe others who use the airport more often can give a more positive expectation. I asked the security person if this was normal and she rolled her eyes and said it isn't normal but it isn't surprising or unusual - maybe that was just because she was having to stay extra hours.