Tips/Info for Ruby Princess to Alaska 2015

Luvsnorkeling

Have they stated that they are doing a deep cleaning due to Noro or something like that? Otherwise, boarding has typically started around noon or a little earlier. Even before we were Platinum, we have shown up around 10:30 - 11 and been on board by about 12:30, in time for lunch in the MDR.

Nope. Just states that boarding/checking is from 1-3 which strikes me a little different cause on prior cruises with other lines it has always been around 11. I guess they are doing something and that is why we are not boarding until later.

For people that are talking about getting to the pier by 11, be sure to check your cruise package for what time boarding and check in begins. For example, for mine it isn't until 1-3 so I guess some other ones start earlier which is a little weird. But be sure to verify the time you can board. You don't want to get there at 11 when boarding doesn't start until 1.

I cannot remember any Princess cruise I have been on that did not say that check-in and boarding begins at 1.

I also cannot remember any Princess cruise I have been on that did not start check-in by 11 AM and boarding between 11:30 and 12:30 (usually around noon).

There will be exceptions if the ship arrived later than scheduled, needed a noro-cleaning, or had a surprise Coast Guard inspection. But none of these possibilities are known when you get the original notice about "starting at 1 PM." And if any of these possibilities occur, then boarding may not start until well after 1 PM.

Not staggered boarding times, just that it is not open until a certain time. In my case 1. It will be different for others.

Sounds like the staggered boarding notice that we have gotten on our last few cruises. We ignore it when we fly in on the day of the cruise departure because we have no where else to go. Always get checked in (or at least are let into the terminal) when we arrive at the terminal.

Do you know if the Ruby has the Princess @ Sea available? We leave Sunday and would love to stay in touch onboard with a couple of teens!

Princess @ sea intranet: yes

messaging: no

But, the itinerary has a lot of time in US ports where you may

have cell service, depending on carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Pierlesscruisers..........Tom.............I have a question about boarding..........brother & sister-in-law just booked this cruise with us.........Sept 6..........he uses a walker & will need a wheelchair for embark & debark.......I noted that on their documents..........will he still need to tell them at the pier? Also........can he check his walker or should they take in with them?

Sorry for all the questions but have never had special needs check in before........

Thanks ahead of time...........

Sharon

Pierlesscruisers..........Tom.............I have a question about boarding..........brother & sister-in-law just booked this cruise with us.........Sept 6..........he uses a walker & will need a wheelchair for embark & debark.......I noted that on their documents..........will he still need to tell them at the pier? Also........can he check his walker or should they take in with them?

Sorry for all the questions but have never had special needs check in before.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sharon: No need to apologize for asking questions, that's how we all learn.

First of all, one good thing about cruising to Alaska during the month of Sept. is that is the end of the season up there so if you're looking at purchasing souvenirs, you'll find that the vast majority of them are in the 50-75% off the prices they've been charging for them since May so you'll save a decent amount on what you would have paid any of the previous 4 months. ;)

As to needing a wheelchair at the pier, yes, you will need to notify us when you get there that you need a chair. I'm going to attach a small text file to this post that will tell you everything you need to know about how to get a wheelchair for your brother-in-law. That makes it easier to print out the info or to send it to someone else if you'd like than to cut and paste. If you have other questions about the process or I left out any info that you need/want to know let me know so I can answer your questions and update my text file to include that info for the next person who asks.

As to whether to check in or carry on a walker, that is entirely up to him. I would suggest that he take it with him as the wheelchair that takes him onto the ship will drop him off and return to the ADA check-in area to bring aboard the next passenger and will not remain with him. Taking it with him gives him the option of using it right away or dropping it off in his stateroom and going about unaided. It's always nice to have options! ;) I do address this subject a bit more in the text file and that may cover some other points on the subject.

Further info about renting wheelchair or other medical items is in the attached file.

As I said, any further questions on anything, let me know.

Tom

Wheelchair needs at the pier.txt

Tom.....thanks for the info.........I've printed it out & will give it to the relatives.......

I know about Alaska in Sept........this will be our 10th cruise there....... ;) We're platinum but this is their first cruise..........so just want to make it easy on them......

Thanks again for the info......very helpful!!

Hope to see ya at the terminal!!!!

Sharon

Tom,

I am booked on the Ruby for August 7, 2016 out of Seattle.

I have looked at flight times for August 2015. The flights will probably be the same for next summer. On departure date there is a 11:25 am non stop flight, the next non stop flight is 11:25pm. I could take a 12:45pm to Vancouver, with a few hours wait then a non stop home.

Could I make the 11:25am flight with self disembarkment? Take a taxi? Shuttle Express?

Edited by phabric

Tom,

I am booked on the Ruby for August 7, 2016 out of Seattle.

I have looked at flight times for August 2015. The flights will probably be the same for next summer. On departure date there is a 11:25 am non stop flight, the next non stop flight is 11:25pm. I could take a 12:45pm to Vancouver, with a few hours wait then a non stop home.

Could I make the 11:25am flight with self disembarkment? Take a taxi? Shuttle Express?

Barring any unforseen consequences that might make your ship arrive at the pier a lot later than normal (which I've not seen happen in the 5 years I've been at the pier) you should have no problem making your flight. The first people usually leave the ship at about 7:30am and I've seen them come off as early as 7:10 or so.

Now, realizing that this is all a year away, I have no idea what, if anything is going to have changed by that time, but assuming nothing major is going to happen along the way, the only thing I can see that is going to have any impact is that this year the Hemp Fest is going to be the weekend of 14 August so if they hold to the same time frame, that will put that celebration the weekend of your arrival back in Seattle. Honestly, though, I don't see even that being a problem in you making your flight. I don't know if you are traveling by yourself or have others with you so I don't know whether an airport transfer through Princess would be more or less than a taxi. This year, the flat rate for a taxi from Pier 91 to SeaTac is $42 o4 $45, I can't remember which and I believe the transfer to SeaTac is $24/person. The first bus will probably leave the pier about 7:45 or 8:00. We normally don't hold a bus more than 20 minutes after the first passenger boards the bus, so that would put you at SeaTac by about 8:45 +/- 10 minutes or so or that would be no problem. Taxi time would be about 30-40 minutes after leaving the pier, again getting you to the airport in plenty of time for your flight. If your airline participates in the EZ-check program (some do and some don't) that would keep you from even having to mess with your bags and make for an easier flight for you. If you want, let me know what airline you'll be departing on and I'll check this next weekend to see if they participate in that program.

I don't know what the charge is for Shuttle Express. I'll ask next weekend at the pier to see what their cost is, how long they hold their shuttles after they've started loading before releasing them and what they estimate their time to SeaTac is.

I'll see if I can't save some of this year's good weather for your cruise next year! ;)

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
add info

If your airline participates in the EZ-check program (some do and some don't) that would keep you from even having to mess with your bags and make for an easier flight for you. If you want, let me know what airline you'll be departing on and I'll check this next weekend to see if they participate in that program.

I think the earliest time for EZCheck to be used is for flights 11:30 or later. If my thought is correct, an 11:25 flight would not qualify.

Tom just off the ruby. We had transfers to and from used the wheelchair for embarkation. Very quick and pleasant we were on board by 1130 and in the dining room shortly afternoon. Chose to use my crutches getting off

Glad to hear that your embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. I'm also impressed that you dedication to duty was sincere and that you were engaged in checking out the food soon after getting on board. It's nice to see such diligence in checking out the facilities! ;)

By the way, I'm putting a link to a website that a gentleman who was on one of the Princess cruises a week before you provided. It appears he is a dedicated photographer and took 5600 photos during his cruise (thank goodness for digital cameras!) which he then posted online for all to see. I think you'll enjoy seeing them. I did a quick look and there are some absolute beauties of eagles in there! Anyway, here's the link. Hope you enjoy the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozarkinspirations/

Tom

Glad to hear that your embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. I'm also impressed that you dedication to duty was sincere and that you were engaged in checking out the food soon after getting on board. It's nice to see such diligence in checking out the facilities! ;)

By the way, I'm putting a link to a website that a gentleman who was on one of the Princess cruises a week before you provided. It appears he is a dedicated photographer and took 5600 photos during his cruise (thank goodness for digital cameras!) which he then posted online for all to see. I think you'll enjoy seeing them. I did a quick look and there are some absolute beauties of eagles in there! Anyway, here's the link. Hope you enjoy the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozarkinspirations/

Tom

Great photos, maybe looking in the wrong place but I am not finding the Ruby Princess. :(

Barring any unforseen consequences that might make your ship arrive at the pier a lot later than normal (which I've not seen happen in the 5 years I've been at the pier) you should have no problem making your flight. The first people usually leave the ship at about 7:30am and I've seen them come off as early as 7:10 or so.

Now, realizing that this is all a year away, I have no idea what, if anything is going to have changed by that time, but assuming nothing major is going to happen along the way, the only thing I can see that is going to have any impact is that this year the Hemp Fest is going to be the weekend of 14 August so if they hold to the same time frame, that will put that celebration the weekend of your arrival back in Seattle. Honestly, though, I don't see even that being a problem in you making your flight. I don't know if you are traveling by yourself or have others with you so I don't know whether an airport transfer through Princess would be more or less than a taxi. This year, the flat rate for a taxi from Pier 91 to SeaTac is $42 o4 $45, I can't remember which and I believe the transfer to SeaTac is $24/person. The first bus will probably leave the pier about 7:45 or 8:00. We normally don't hold a bus more than 20 minutes after the first passenger boards the bus, so that would put you at SeaTac by about 8:45 +/- 10 minutes or so or that would be no problem. Taxi time would be about 30-40 minutes after leaving the pier, again getting you to the airport in plenty of time for your flight. If your airline participates in the EZ-check program (some do and some don't) that would keep you from even having to mess with your bags and make for an easier flight for you. If you want, let me know what airline you'll be departing on and I'll check this next weekend to see if they participate in that program.

I don't know what the charge is for Shuttle Express. I'll ask next weekend at the pier to see what their cost is, how long they hold their shuttles after they've started loading before releasing them and what they estimate their time to SeaTac is.

I'll see if I can't save some of this year's good weather for your cruise next year! ;)

Tom

Thank you for the information.

I can not use EZ Program as I am Canadian and will use Air Canada. If I can get the 11:25am flight it will be 5 hour flight home vs going through Vancouver depending on the connection 8 or more hours.

I will be travelling solo.

If you can get the shuttle information that you be great.

I can not use EZ Program as I am Canadian and will use Air Canada. If I can get the 11:25am flight it will be 5 hour flight home vs going through Vancouver depending on the connection 8 or more hours.

I will be travelling solo.

Well, then, we're just going to have to make sure that we get you to SeaTac on time then, aren't we? :cool:

Okay, I figured that with my lousy memory :( I'd probably forget about asking well before this weekend so I went online and found the Shuttle Express website: ( http://shuttleexpress.com ) where you can get further info. They also have an FAQ area also which is at: ( http://shuttleexpress.com/faq-information/ ) I've also sent an inquiry to them about the 3 things I didn't know and will send that info to you as soon as I get it. The cost for Shuttle Express from Pier 91 to SeaTac is $22 for one person.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Tried to edit my previous msg but there's a 20 minute time limit to do that I just found out. :( Anyway, here's the info I was just trying to post. It answers the remaining questions I was unable to supply answers to along with a bit more I didn't know.

Okay just got a reply from Shuttle Express. Their estimated time from Pier 91 to SeaTac is 30 minutes and they have no set time to wait as the lady said their buses fill up pretty quickly (I can believe that as they are small buses, not the big 46 pax or larger ones. Oh, in case anybody asks, one child 17 or under goes free with each paid adult fare. Hope all this info helps.

Tom

Tried to edit my previous msg but there's a 20 minute time limit to do that I just found out. :( Anyway, here's the info I was just trying to post. It answers the remaining questions I was unable to supply answers to along with a bit more I didn't know.

Okay just got a reply from Shuttle Express. Their estimated time from Pier 91 to SeaTac is 30 minutes and they have no set time to wait as the lady said their buses fill up pretty quickly (I can believe that as they are small buses, not the big 46 pax or larger ones. Oh, in case anybody asks, one child 17 or under goes free with each paid adult fare. Hope all this info helps.

Tom

Thanks for your help. I have saved their site.

Sorry, folks, another mistake... :-(

It is SEATTLE EXPRESS and not Shuttle Express that we took. There is a Shuttle Express, but it is more expensive. Just pulled our paperwork and checked it.

We're arriving a couple day before 7/12 cruise on a red eye and were wondering about a dependable shuttle that would not only take us airport to hotel at 1:30 AM but also take us hotel to pier and pier to airport. Will look into Seattle Express - thanks for going back and checking

Edited by FM-R

• 2 weeks later...