Mens formal clothing

Naomigruis

Ok so here is my question.

My partner and I retired two years ago to travel around Australia in our caravan (travel trailer) and after wearing a suit every day to work he gave away all but one. He has a nice black pinstrip suit we have gotten out of storage for a wedding and our trip to Europe.

The 7 day med cruise on the QV is half way through a three month tour of Europe and we are trying to travel light. Is this going to be acceptable on the formal nights?

He has several shirts and ties to mix it up but I am worried that the pinstrip will be an issue.

Any previous exceriances would be appreciated.

Sylva - the traveling Aussie.

My partner and I retired two years ago to travel around Australia in our caravan (travel trailer) and after wearing a suit every day to work he gave away all but one. He has a nice black pinstrip suit we have gotten out of storage for a wedding and our trip to Europe.

The 7 day med cruise on the QV is half way through a three month tour of Europe and we are trying to travel light. Is this going to be acceptable on the formal nights?

He has several shirts and ties to mix it up but I am worried that the pinstrip will be an issue.

Hi Naomigruis,

Shouldn't be an issue at all as it is a black suit (pinstripes can look very "business-like" of course, if that is what concerns you). But mixed with a range of shirts and ties as you intend, I say go with it, no problem.

Have the most wonderful time, both in Europe and on board QV, Bon Voyage! :)

Any darker jacket and dress slacks with a tie works for formal. I usually just use a cheap lightweight black wrinkle resistant sports jacket, thin black slacks, white shirt and tie and dress shoes. Saves room for my wife's dresses in the suitcase. There really is no need to haul around a tuxedo unless you want to. Only time I felt a little out of place was on the QE a few years ago with most of the passengers from the UK sporting bow ties and tuxedos and striped Eaton type blazers on the other days for dinner. QM2 on the other hand is usually diverse.

The pin stripe should go fine. I think the mixing up of shirts & ties is a great idea. I frequently bring several Burberry ties to mix & match with shirts & it works beautifully.

I think that some people worry excessively about the dress code. In this day and age of restricted baggage allowance on flights, it is not surprising that some people would feel reluctant to pack clothes that they will wear so little, which incidentally is an indirect plea for Cunard to go back to more formal nights. If every night at sea was a formal night, as it used to be, there would be more reason for bringing the tuxedo.

Wearing a tuxedo is not totally mandatory. True, dressing up is one of the key components of the Cunard experience, the last stand of good taste and proper manners on the high seas, and that is the main reason why we only cruise with Cunard. It is always regrettable to miss on that out of necessity, but what really matters is to pay sufficient attention to the dress code, out of consideration for fellow passengers. It is a far cry from a proper dark suit and tie to jeans, polo shirt and flip-flops.

Just a little more info, we were on the QM2 a couple of weeks ago and yes the dress code has now been rationalised. However the two 'codes' for the men were formal - suit (tux or dark), tie etc., and semi formal - where it stated jacket required, but tie not necessary. Just so you know he will need a jacket every night, but not a tie. :)

Not to beat a dead horse [the dress code debate] but I also have a question for you experienced Cunarders. I rarely have the chance to wear a tuxedo but WILL be bringing one on QM2 to keep with the tradition. As the prices for most rentals are similar to just buying an inexpensive one, I decided to go the purchasing route so that at least I will have one for the future if needed. I have seen several at good prices but many have a notched lapel and some even have flaps on the pockets. I realize those are both technical no-nos for black tie so wonder why companies even produce tuxes with these features. Would it be out of place on QM2 to wear a tux with said features in lieu of the more appropriate shawl collar or peaked lapel? I also plan to wear normal black lace-ups [shined of course!] rather than opera shoes or patent leather. Would this be acceptable? Maybe I am over thinking things too much? :rolleyes:

Not to beat a dead horse [the dress code debate] but I also have a question for you experienced Cunarders. I rarely have the chance to wear a tuxedo but WILL be bringing one on QM2 to keep with the tradition. As the prices for most rentals are similar to just buying an inexpensive one, I decided to go the purchasing route so that at least I will have one for the future if needed. I have seen several at good prices but many have a notched lapel and some even have flaps on the pockets. I realize those are both technical no-nos for black tie so wonder why companies even produce tuxes with these features. Would it be out of place on QM2 to wear a tux with said features in lieu of the more appropriate shawl collar or peaked lapel? I also plan to wear normal black lace-ups [shined of course!] rather than opera shoes or patent leather. Would this be acceptable? Maybe I am over thinking things too much? :rolleyes:

More than likely you are giving these questions more attention than they deserve. It's true that a notched lapel isn't quite right for formal wear, but given the fact that a dark suit meets Cunard's requirements for formal nights, I doubt that anyone will look askance at you. As for shoes, most men wear normal black lace-ups. Excited by the prospect of our first transatlantic crossing, I bought a pair of patent leather shoes, but there's no need to do so.

Edited by Thaxted

I agree. No need to get excessively worried, considering relaxing standards on board these days. ANY tuxedo is likely to be great.

For a tuxedo, i think that shawl collar is probably the best choice for a cruise, as it is a timeless classic, and more relaxed. When we resumed cruising after a long hiatus, having outgrown my old tuxedo:(, I thought I'd rent one, but the models available were of rather poor quality and cut, and the cost was much higher than I'd have imagined. So I had a tuxedo tailor-made, well actually two, with one back and one white jacket. Considerably more expensive, admittedly, but they are all mine, and they gave me one more reason to keep cruising :)

For shoes though, I saw no need to go for anything else than a nice pair of standard black shoes, and apparently many passengers do the same.

More than likely you are giving these questions more attention than they deserve. It's true that a notched lapel isn't quite right for formal wear, but given the fact that a dark suit meets Cunard's requirements for formal nights, I doubt that anyone will look askance at you. As for shoes, most men wear normal black lace-ups. Excited by the prospect of our first transatlantic crossing, I bought a pair of patent leather shoes, but there's no need to do so.

I agree. No need to get excessively worried, considering relaxing standards on board these days. ANY tuxedo is likely to be great.

For a tuxedo, i think that shawl collar is probably the best choice for a cruise, as it is a timeless classic, and more relaxed. When we resumed cruising after a long hiatus, having outgrown my old tuxedo:(, I thought I'd rent one, but the models available were of rather poor quality and cut, and the cost was much higher than I'd have imagined. So I had a tuxedo tailor-made, well actually two, with one back and one white jacket. Considerably more expensive, admittedly, but they are all mine, and they gave me one more reason to keep cruising :)

For shoes though, I saw no need to go for anything else than a nice pair of standard black shoes, and apparently many passengers do the same.

Thank you both for your opinions!!

Glad to hear a notched lapel would be acceptable if it comes to that. I will try and find a shawl collar though as that is my preference anyway. It is nice to know I have a safe backup in case I can't find a shall style in the price range I'm looking to spend.

Glad to hear about the shoes too. As much as I love the thought of wearing an opera pump, I'm glad to know I mustn't purchase [and lug around] a pair HAHA.

Yes, you will be fine.:D

We read about ties being optional on casual nights, but nothing is said about shirts, is it?

I have a friend who will happily wear an Armani suit with no shirt. In fact, I've looked on the Armani website and that's a valid option for their suits.

I sometimes have a chuckle wondering about the reactions if he dressed this way on our upcoming cruise. ;)

(He's said he will follow convention.)

We read about ties being optional on casual nights, but nothing is said about shirts, is it?

I have a friend who will happily wear an Armani suit with no shirt. In fact, I've looked on the Armani website and that's a valid option for their suits.

I sometimes have a chuckle wondering about the reactions if he dressed this way on our upcoming cruise. ;)

(He's said he will follow convention.)

Please no:eek:

I know it is tongue in cheek but we had a guy at our dining table showing up in a t-shirt (took his track suit jacket off when sitting down to eat).:eek:

So much time taken by way too many people trying to think up ways around each and every policy set forth by a cruise line and every other business in the world. Once you have read the rules, if you do not care for them why even consider using the facilities? There are so many other places that will be happy to take your money and do not care how you dress, act or think.

Edited by Lakesregion

So much time taken by way too many people trying to think up ways around each and every policy set forth by a cruise line and every other business in the world. Once you have read the rules, if you do not care for them why even consider using the facilities? There are so many other places that will be happy to take your money and do not care how you dress, act or think.

Well said Lakesregion.

Exactly. For the life of me, I cannot understand why someone wants to book a cruise with a cruise line and then they don't want to follow the guidelines set for the cruise. There are other cruises where dress codes are much more lax.

On the QMII I've worn a black blazer and black slacks (brown shoes, ouch!) and everything has been OK. Not shunned at all. Partner of original poster should be fine. No worries.