SW Air sale until June 4.

DaveOKC

True, but so do a lot of those airlines. Heck, the two worst (Envoy and Expressjet) offer a LOT of airports where there is very minimal commercial air traffic. Plus, Southwest has also expanded over recent years to some of the more congested and delay-ridden airports in the country - Atlanta, San Francisco, Newark, Dulles.

Does their lateness count against UA, AA or whoever's flag they are under or do the big guys only count their mainline stats for onetime numbers?

All right now this sale is getting out of hand. I am not getting my dinner prepared they went too far. Called my wonderful business Travel Agent wife on the way home and the response I got when I asked if " should I grab a sandwich or something" you would of thought there was a volcano in Greenland or something.

Seriously she said she had a almost 6 hour on hold time once today so if you are trying to book bring some patience.

Edited by hillbilly73

Seriously she said she had a almost 6 hour on hold time once today so if you are trying to book bring some patience.

Err, or use their website? Or is the fact I've never flown Southwest showing me up here? Surely you don't have to book by phone.

Does their lateness count against UA, AA or whoever's flag they are under or do the big guys only count their mainline stats for onetime numbers?

No their numbers don't count against the mainline carrier. And in the case of an airline like Expressjet or Skywest, they're operating flights on behalf of multiple mainline carriers

fbgd- Online options were down so resorting to actually talking to someone had to be done.

Zach- Probably no savings at all just normal business. I didn't have the courage to ask but she books a lot of groups and always adding and subtracting travellers. One reason they book so many flights with Southwest.

Edited by hillbilly73

I would have to be saving a helllllllllll of a lot of money to be on hold for 6 hours. Or 4. Or 2. Wow.

I'd think it could work out as long as: a) I have a second line available, b) I can put them on speakerphone, and c) I can multitask doing something else at my desk or around the house while I'm waiting. That's my strategy when I'm on the phone with an agent trying to book a complicated multi-carrier award ticket that involves long sells and the like.

Otherwise, it's like the folks who think that scoring a $5 savings on a bottle of Bacardi in the Caribbean is worth the effort. At least IMO. ;)

I'd think it could work out as long as: a) I have a second line available, b) I can put them on speakerphone, and c) I can multitask doing something else at my desk or around the house while I'm waiting. That's my strategy when I'm on the phone with an agent trying to book a complicated multi-carrier award ticket that involves long sells and the like.

Southwest had a recorded message in the pre-Internet era:

"Please press 7, now".....(a few seconds of pause) ...."Thank you. That didn't do anything to speed up your call, but didn't it make you feel better?" :)

Otherwise, it's like the folks who think that scoring a $5 savings on a bottle of Bacardi in the Caribbean is worth the effort. At least IMO. ;)

Or camping outside Best Buy for 3 days to save $150 on a flat screen TV on Black Friday. Same consumer dynamics as the Southwest sale....start a "stampede" for a limited quantity of deals. Both have value for a lot of people, or there wouldn't be lines and jammed websites and I'm glad some people get the deals. That said, SNA-SJC is in my travel needs for the next few months, WN is the only airline with nonstops, and I'm grabbing some of the $73 OW tickets today :)

All right now this sale is getting out of hand. I am not getting my dinner prepared they went too far. Called my wonderful business Travel Agent wife on the way home and the response I got when I asked if " should I grab a sandwich or something" you would of thought there was a volcano in Greenland or something.

I called the SW phone # on Wed eve due to their website issues. I called a little before 10 pm. Two calls: The first was answered within 3 or 4 minutes but I could not proceed with the conversation because the agent spoke such broken English that I could not understand....... nor could she properly understand me. She kept attempting to book me to Dallas when I said San Diego????? I politely thanked her, ended this call and called right back.

Call #2 was also answered within a few minutes and my ticket was booked and the phone-fee waived due to the website issue. Bada-Bing.. Done !

With this said, it may just depend on the time of day that one tries to call. Business hours would most likely be a nightmare.

The sale was indeed one of the very best that I have seen so I can understand why everyone and their brother was running to get the great deals.