Beach Umbrella

Bandet

I got a really bad beach burn memorial weekend and am contemplaiting bringing my own portable beach umbrella with me for the stops on the beaches.

Sometimes they rent them cheap at some stops but sometimes they are expesive. I also like to travel sometimes two beaches in same port so I would have to pay the rental fee twice.

Has anyone ever brought one with you? Will they let me? Has anyone seen one small enough on Amazon that is easy to carry?

thanks,

Will you be driving or flying to the port? If you are driving then it is no big deal to carry one on board, but it looks like you are likely flying into Miami. I would just plan on making one stop at a Target/WalMart and picking up an umbrella there along with sunscreen and anything else you forgot. I would either just leave it in the cabin or at your final beach stop just give it to another patron.

Rather than a beach umbrella, which is large and can be difficult to transport, consider getting a beach tent (or beach cabana). You can find them on Amazon, and most sporting goods stores. We got ours from Eddie Bauer. A beach tent is easy to set up, and is relatively compact when packed up. The one we have is similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Genji-Sports-Beach-Star-Tent/dp/B00CDFVK0O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1433272785&sr=8-5&keywords=beach+tent

Rather than a beach umbrella, which is large and can be difficult to transport, consider getting a beach tent (or beach cabana). You can find them on Amazon, and most sporting goods stores. We got ours from Eddie Bauer. A beach tent is easy to set up, and is relatively compact when packed up. The one we have is similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Genji-Sports-Beach-Star-Tent/dp/B00CDFVK0O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1433272785&sr=8-5&keywords=beach+tent

This is a better thought than trying to bring an umbrella --- which, if big enough to be much help, would likely be a terrible headache to pack or carry.

That beach tent is a good idea and weighs under 5 lbs. Might be hard to fly/pack as it is 39" long. You might have to pay for oversize bag check but if driving to the port, it's great.

Do you have a golf umbrella? How about a wide brimmed sun hat and a light cover up on your shoulders.

I ordered some stuff from UV Skinz for our trip. They have stuff made for coverage but lightweight enough for the beach.

thanks for the idea of the tent. I am driving into port so i can bring an umbrella.

I like the tent but I like to feel the sand in my feet and the wind in my face in a Tent i feel it will block the wind and I would be inside a tent so none of those would happen.....

Oh the struggles and hard decisions I face lol....

thanks for the ideas all.

I am leaning towards an umbrella still.

Why not just get one of those folding Tote umbrellas? It can be carried in a purse or tote bag. I always keep one with me in case of rain or having to be in the hot sun for a long period of time. You can always cover your legs with a beach towel.

thanks for the idea of the tent. I am driving into port so i can bring an umbrella.

I like the tent but I like to feel the sand in my feet and the wind in my face in a Tent i feel it will block the wind and I would be inside a tent so none of those would happen.....

There is no reason that you cannot bring an umbrella. My only concern would be that someone has to carry it around when you are ashore, but that is a decision that you and who ever you are traveling with can make without a lot of outside help.

IMO based on your history of the recent burn, I would take the umbrella, plus I would buy a sun blocking rash guard shirt and wear it all the time, both in and out of the water. (Of course liberal amounts of SPF 50 sunscreen are recommended in your situation.)

The shirt seems to me to be the safest way to protect against any more sun damage.

Edited by zqvol

That beach tent is a good idea and weighs under 5 lbs. Might be hard to fly/pack as it is 39" long. You might have to pay for oversize bag check but if driving to the port, it's great.

The one we have, when packed, is approximately 20" long, and, if necessary, easily fits in a suitcase.

If you could see a beach tent set up, you would see that it has mesh screen in it, and not solid fabric. Any breezes will pass through it very easily. Actually, because a beach tent is designed to allow air to pass through, it is much cooler than a clamshell, which you may have seen on some beaches. You say you like to feel the sand on your feet, but if you are under an umbrella, do you sit on a beach towel, or directly on the sand?

Edited by beachbum53

Don't know if this matters, but will you be allowed to erect your own umbrella on the beaches? I know many of them have umbrella rentals, I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit territorial and didn't allow 'outside' umbrellas.

Just something to think about :confused:

Don't know if this matters, but will you be allowed to erect your own umbrella on the beaches? I know many of them have umbrella rentals, I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit territorial and didn't allow 'outside' umbrellas.

Just something to think about :confused:

Well most beaches are public, for example ill be going to PR soon. But I know still some vendors might give me the evil eye :/

Ill look more into that Tent either way.