Question about b2b cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Dec 2015

My husband and I are interested in a b2b East/West Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Dec 6th. We have never been on a back-to-back cruise before and have never sailed with HAL although we have taken several cruises on other carriers.

My questions are:

1. Is the evening entertainment the same on both legs of the cruise or do they change up the offerings?

2. Are the dining choices the same (same dishes offered on both Mondays of the trip for instance) or do they change it up?

3. Does the second week of the cruise feel like a "new" trip or does it feel like "we've done all this just last week"?

4. This is more of a general HAL question. Do men have to wear long pants for lunch in the MDR or are nice shorts acceptable? I've seen some conflicting posts.

Thanks for any input. :)

Saline

My husband and I are interested in a b2b East/West Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Dec 6th. We have never been on a back-to-back cruise before and have never sailed with HAL although we have taken several cruises on other carriers.

My questions are:

1. Is the evening entertainment the same on both legs of the cruise or do they change up the offerings? If it is being sold as a Collectors Cruise, you may see some variety in the entertainment and food.

2. Are the dining choices the same (same dishes offered on both Mondays of the trip for instance) or do they change it up?

3. Does the second week of the cruise feel like a "new" trip or does it feel like "we've done all this just last week"? Should be all new ports (except HMC) and a number of new pax, so it should seem somewhat "new". But that is all personal perception.

4. This is more of a general HAL question. Do men have to wear long pants for lunch in the MDR or are nice shorts acceptable? I've seen some conflicting posts. Shorts are fine during the day.

Saline

See above

My questions are:

Saline

Welcome to Holland America.

We did the B2B last December. The Caribbean has two series of Main Dining Room menus. A different series is served each week. The are similar but not the same.

Here is a link to the 2014 Eastern Caribbean menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-eastern-caribbean-mdr-and-lido-restaurant-menus/

Here is a link to the 2014 Western Caribbean menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-western-caribbean-lunch-and-dinner-menus/

Here is a link to our Eastern Caribbean On Locations (daily activities):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/eastern-caribbean-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-locations-daily-activities-2014-15/

Here is a link to our Western Caribbean On Locations (daily activities):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/western-caribbean-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-locations-daily-activities-2014-15/

Here is a link to my photographic tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam from Dec 2014:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Her is my scanned current menus for Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, and Room Service (free 24/7):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Hope this gives you a head start in your planning.

Edited by Crew News

We have also done your cruise.

The menus were different for the most part -- changed a few items here and there -- different sauces.

The production shows were the same each week. One week is the Indonesian show and the other week is the Filipino show. Sometimes the magician, etc. will change. At least once each week the BB King group will play in the show lounge.

We, too did the B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. The menus were different each week, although some items repeated - albeit with different sides and sauces. The welcome and farewell shows were the same, but the others were different. The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam traded guest entertainment on alternate weeks.

If your experience is like ours, it should be two pretty unique cruises.

We did a "live from" thread with scans of all of the menus, daily programs, and whatnot. I'm sure that it will be a little bit different this year, but you can get a bit of a feel for things.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132818

Edited by POA1

• 2 weeks later...

We did the B2B East/West Caribbean last November/December on the NA. We loved it. The ports each week are unique. On board certain things will repeat, like the bigger production show, but other things will be different. The menu will change enough that you will have plenty of new things to try.

We loved it so much we are doing it again this November/December, only this time it will be a B2B2B. Can't wait!

Thanks every one for all the information. It sure helps in making decisions. :)

I hope you have as good a time as we did. The only thing we were bummed about was that we left the ship before the BB King band started their holiday shows. We heard them rehearse a bit, but from what I've read, the actual shows were pretty awesome. (If you go in for that sort of thing.)

My other advice is to peruse the port forums here on CruiseCritic and to read about each of your stops on TripAdvisor. We managed to have a great time, and see a lot of new things in ports we've been to repeatedly. Just do your research and planning. There's a lot more to do than Senor Frog's and Diamonds International if you do your homework.

We, too did the B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. The menus were different each week, although some items repeated - albeit with different sides and sauces. The welcome and farewell shows were the same, but the others were different. The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam traded guest entertainment on alternate weeks.

If your experience is like ours, it should be two pretty unique cruises.

We did a "live from" thread with scans of all of the menus, daily programs, and whatnot. I'm sure that it will be a little bit different this year, but you can get a bit of a feel for things.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132818

Like POA1 said two pertty unique cruises! We have done 3 B2B on our favorite ship and loved them!

Just finished this past March April the Easter/Western Carribean cruise on her and the food was great and did change and for us it was heaven!

our 2 24 day Mediteranen Tapesrty cruises were two 12 days and what an experience!

We will do it again Oct 2016 on a 12 day with the Eurdam!

So enjoy your cruise!

Denise:)

We have also done your cruise.

The menus were different for the most part -- changed a few items here and there -- different sauces.

The production shows were the same each week. One week is the Indonesian show and the other week is the Filipino show. Sometimes the magician, etc. will change. At least once each week the BB King group will play in the show lounge.

In March on the Nieuw Amsterdam the BB King group did not have a show in the main theatre, only in the Queen's Lounge.....there was a great steel band that I hope you get to see !!