Are you cruise veterans still amazed at anything?

cruznjan

After 50+ cruise, I am still amazed that we are still able to do 1 or 2 trips a year as retirees, been retired since l999... 15 years and still going. Booked on the OM2, in September, have another cruise in the works.

Glad we started early, long before we retired... becuase we have seen and enjoyed so many places. Today cruises are actually cheaper... remember our first cruise to Europe in the late 80s, we paid $7000 for a limited view cabin on a 12 day cruise from Venice to London...that did not include air... today for that price one can get a nice balcony cabin.

I am always amazed by how big the world seems when you are sitting in the middle of the ocean on an enormous ship which is dwarfed by the unending seas which surround it.

I'm also amazed by the petty things that people find to complain about.

After a dozen cruises, I'm amazed at how ships push off from the docks using the thrusters. I remember the tugboat days.

Also how quiet that is. On our first cruise I was sitting on our balcony when docked at Noumea. Didn't hear a thing, didn't feel any movement, but the next time I glanced up from my Kindle we were a metre or so away from the wharf. Amazing!

I continue to be amazed at how a cruise ship is like a little floating city for a week. The more things they put on these vessels, the more that feeling exists. Sometimes you wouldn't even know you were on a ship if you didn't look out and see the ocean.

With that "floating city" comes the endless parade of folks to people watch. I see some of the most amusing things and people. LOL

I never get tired of people watching- on the ship or in port.

I continue to be amazed at how a cruise ship is like a little floating city for a week. The more things they put on these vessels, the more that feeling exists. Sometimes you wouldn't even know you were on a ship if you didn't look out and see the ocean.

With that "floating city" comes the endless parade of folks to people watch. I see some of the most amusing things and people. LOL

I never get tired of people watching- on the ship or in port.

On board and in port, I delight in the people. I engage locals in chat to learn about their lives and culture BUT,

At my age (77), the thing that always amazes me is sitting on the fantail with morning coffee, and yes, a morning smoke or two, and the delight of seeing another sunrise on the horizon. Cruise life is good. ;)

I am still blown away by the sunrises and sunsets at sea.

I try to make a point of being up and on deck for sunrise with my camera and I always see at least a handful of other people with the same intentions. Of course some mornings are cloudier than others and so may be a little disappointing, but it makes you look forward to tomorrow. Walking around is so peaceful and beautiful at that time of day on deck, it's worth the price of admission all by itself.

Happy sailing to everyone

So many things! I never get over the incredible service I'm treated to on every cruise!

I guess the biggest thing to me is how many people insist they would HATE cruising, when they've never TRIED cruising.

When I met my SO five years ago, his teenage daughter uttered the phrase, "You'll NEVER get my dad to take a cruise." She thought he'd feel bored and claustrophobic and indicated that he HATES the beach.

A couple years later, I GAVE him a cruise as a birthday gift. I picked a port-intensive itinerary (my preference, but assumed it would be his as well given his daughter's feedback). I involved him in selecting the cruise excursions. Turns out he doesn't HATE the beach, just prefers it in small doses due to being fair skinned. I prefer to engage in really active excursions, rather than laying on a beach, so that was perfectly fine with me.

He discovered that he LOVES snorkeling - said he could do it every day! He loved the cruise and we were already talking about our NEXT cruise before disembarkation.

Cruising is a different experience, depending on each person's preference. Is you want to lay by the pool and read a book - you can. If you want to do something active every day - you can. You can choose a cruise with a lot of sea days or one where you wake up in a new port every day. You can shop until you drop, or wait until the last day and buy some 50% off logo-wear and check "souvenir shopping" off your list! You can party the night away or turn in early. Cruising is a GREAT value (better if you don't drink, but...)

What's not to like????

So many things! I never get over the incredible service I'm treated to on every cruise!

I guess the biggest thing to me is how many people insist they would HATE cruising, when they've never TRIED cruising.

When I met my SO five years ago, his teenage daughter uttered the phrase, "You'll NEVER get my dad to take a cruise." She thought he'd feel bored and claustrophobic and indicated that he HATES the beach.

A couple years later, I GAVE him a cruise as a birthday gift. I picked a port-intensive itinerary (my preference, but assumed it would be his as well given his daughter's feedback). I involved him in selecting the cruise excursions. Turns out he doesn't HATE the beach, just prefers it in small doses due to being fair skinned. I prefer to engage in really active excursions, rather than laying on a beach, so that was perfectly fine with me.

He discovered that he LOVES snorkeling - said he could do it every day! He loved the cruise and we were already talking about our NEXT cruise before disembarkation.

Cruising is a different experience, depending on each person's preference. Is you want to lay by the pool and read a book - you can. If you want to do something active every day - you can. You can choose a cruise with a lot of sea days or one where you wake up in a new port every day. You can shop until you drop, or wait until the last day and buy some 50% off logo-wear and check "souvenir shopping" off your list! You can party the night away or turn in early. Cruising is a GREAT value (better if you don't drink, but...)

What's not to like????

Several years ago, we were fortunate enough to take the whole family on a cruise.

Three children, four Grandsons and one Daughter In Law.

Out of the 10 of us, 7 had never sailed. 3 had never seen the ocean and 2 had never flown.

They are all now hooked on cruising. They just need to find the time and money to do it. Keeps them getting up in the morning and going to work.:rolleyes:

Once the got their feet wet so to speak, a whole new world opened up for them. Eldest Grandson and his bride cruised to the Southern Caribbean and even went so far as becoming scuba certified for the trip. As of today, his brother and friend are cruising for the week. Eldest Son and Wife cruised the 15 day round trip to Hawaii and in September we will be on the Royal Princess transatlantic cruise from London to Fort Lauderdale. The world gets smaller each cruise we take. Best vacation for the cost.

I am amazed by the majesty of the sea. There is nothing like walking the promenade (or other deck) at sunrise with the wave crashing against the bow and the wind in your face. It is addicting,,,,

I am also amazed by how easily the sea causes the ship to roll and move over the waves.

I am also amazed at how deep the ocean really is. On Princess, one of the channels the TV gives you reports on the position of the ship, the weather and the depth of the ocean. You turn it on and find the sea id 12,000 feet deep!!!

There is some very deep water in the eastern Caribbean sea. In the western Caribbean it is "only" 8,000 feet or so!

Edited by AKman2495

I don't consider myself a veteran (yet):) but I am amazed at the joy and excitement that hasn't faded since I started cruising in 2000. Here's to many more years of cruising!!!!

Vicki

Here here!

I am also amazed by the majesty of the sea. I am also amazed how happy I am being on the balcony on a calm and beautiful day.

I am amazed that those things float.

And, I am amazed that cabins are still so small and don't get me started on the washrooms.

I am amazed at how restorative a cruise is for us. A week to spend with my DH with no interruptions and a chance to reconnect. The peace that I feel watching the ocean as he enjoys a nap. The chance to dance (however badly) to music we enjoy.

I am also amazed at how deep the ocean really is. On Princess, one of the channels the TV gives you reports on the position of the ship, the weather and the depth of the ocean. You turn it on and find the sea id 12,000 feet deep!!!

There is some very deep water in the eastern Caribbean sea. In the western Caribbean it is "only" 8,000 feet or so!

On our recent cruise to the western Caribbean, we would often find ourselves in water as deep as 20,000'! Especially around the Cayman Islands.

Like other posters, I'm amazed by the sheer logistics of making cruises even happen. I'm also pretty blown away by how efficient these ships run.

After 50+ cruise, I am still amazed that we are still able to do 1 or 2 trips a year as retirees, been retired since l999... 15 years and still going. Booked on the OM2, in September, have another cruise in the works.

Glad we started early, long before we retired... becuase we have seen and enjoyed so many places. Today cruises are actually cheaper... remember our first cruise to Europe in the late 80s, we paid $7000 for a limited view cabin on a 12 day cruise from Venice to London...that did not include air... today for that price one can get a nice balcony cabin.

Yes, the cruise fare is getting cheaper but u have to pay for things that u didn't before. Our first cruise in 1998 was the most expensive for an inside cabin (3000 for 2) that we never book again.

Cruising is a bit addictive and the memories last long after debarkation and that's amazing!!!

What still amazes me? Seeing the sunrise over the ocean, the sheer excitement as the ship glides into a new, unexplored port. The billions of stars and the moon at night from the balcony.

This. Exactly this.