Viking Bonds highly speculative; how do you protect your vacation?

TravelerThom

Well on a happier note it appears I have been "banned" from posting on the Viking Facebook page. How weird is that! My posting have almost always been inviting posters looking to connect with other happy Viking Cruisers on cruise critic!

Maybe Viking prefers that their customers not participate here on Cruise Critis?

Thank you!!!! Apparently Viking does not want their cruisers "referred" to Cruise Critic? I swear all I ever did was answer their "clueless" passengers to meet others sailing on their itinerary.

Needless to say " I will say never!!!"

To be fair - Cruise Critic has a notation on their roll call page: Special Note: Promotion of Facebook Groups is NOT allowed on our ROLL CALLS

This had nothing to do with FB roll calls.... It was just the mention of Cruise critic that got me banned [emoji16]

Mostly people looking for others to give them additional info. You have to admit there are a lot of very happy Viking customers on CC.

Edited by JVilleGal

This had nothing to do with FB roll calls.... It was just the mention of Cruise critic that got me banned [emoji16]

Mostly people looking for others to give them additional info. You have to admit there are a lot of very happy Viking customers on CC.

I am just saying that if you start promoting FB roll calls on Cruise Critic, there will be consequences also.

Not saying it is right or wrong, but CC has policies also.

Once again I was not promoting FB roll calls. This was a person who simply wanted to know if others had done a Viking Cruise....

I realize that. I am just saying each place has their own policies on what you can and can not do.

Edited by Coral

Perhaps asking for full payment a year prior to a cruise is not the standard, but it should be noted that airfare is paid when booked, up to 330 days prior to a flight. Vantage is now offering a 10% discount if they receive payment in full shortly after booking. The river cruise lines also offer incentives to use an e-check which has none of the protections that a credit card offers. Do any of these business models help or hurt the consumer? They certainly are in place because the cruise line found them valuable. It is wise to plan travel with both eyes wide open and be aware of possible problems, some of which can be insured against.

FYI:I have two Viking river cruises booked and paid for. One leaves in about 47 days. I got my ticket info from Viking a month ago and then this week, they sent me new flight info. I called Delta/KLM to change the seat assignments and found out that Viking had the reservations but had not paid for the tickets yet, so I could not change the seats. I contacted Viking and was told that they pay for the seats 45 days out. If you and I book a flight, we can do it 330 days out and we pay then. Per the Viking rep, as I said, they do not pay until 45 days out.

Thank you!!!! Apparently Viking does not want their cruisers "referred" to Cruise Critic? I swear all I ever did was answer their "clueless" passengers to meet others sailing on their itinerary.

Needless to say " I will say never!!!"

I have absolutely no doubt that you had only the best of intentions, I'm not surprised they were unhappy though as corporate Facebook groups really are just an offshoot of the marketing department, they have little to do with one person helping another and everything to do with the corporate message.

So inviting people to go to a forum outside of their control was never going to go down well.

I know it was not your intent, but it is in effect a bit like writing a different phone number on a billboard.

You'll also have problems here for example if you suggested someone head over to a competing cruise forum to find other people on their particular cruise.

Frustrating when you are trying to help, but part of the world we live in :(

Well no matter only visited that page because of friends who where sailing Viking (and loved it). Just thought it was very odd and out of the blue! They (Viking) never interacted or contacted me..... Thought it was weird!

Coral - Cruise Critic has many rules that we agree to when we sign up. Making polite comments about happy Viking clients on their FB wall breaks zero rules that I am aware of. But as my friends are now home I have no reason to visit that page again. Just thought it was interesting!

When passengers are looking to connect with others on their sailing, why would they want to be referred to a board where there are other happy and satisfied Viking cruisers ??

Well, that certainly makes sense to me but perhaps the cruise lines are worried that, while customers are connecting with happy cruisers, they will also connect with those not so happy cruisers. Or worse, discover that another cruise line may suit them better or that it gets better comments.

While talking with a cruise director (not Viking) I mentioned reading and learning from CC posters and immediately her attitude changed and she seemed to me to be on the defensive. I was sorry that I had mentioned CC but it did make me aware that cruise lines nay not be as enthusiastic about these forums as are we cruisers. I don't know how anyone can plan a cruise of any type without educating themselves via these forums as well as other sources but I know that many don't bother.

Edited by purduemom1
Spelling edit

Well, that certainly makes sense to me but perhaps the cruise lines are worried that, while customers are connecting with happy cruisers, they will also connect with those not so happy cruisers. Or worse, discover that another cruise line may suit them better or that it gets better comments.

While talking with a cruise director (not Viking) I mentioned reading and learning from CC posters and immediately her attitude changed and she seemed to me to be on the defensive. I was sorry that I had mentioned CC but it did make me aware that cruise lines nay not be as enthusiastic about these forums as are we cruisers. I don't know how anyone can plan a cruise of any type without educating themselves via these forums as well as other sources but I know that many don't bother.

You know, it seems if you mentioned CC, she should have been the opposite of defensive... it showed you did your homework and chose that line, despite what might have been said about it!

But I have always been surprised on our cruises how few people have heard of CC. I'm wondering if anyone on our river cruise will know! While I certainly would have done research on river cruise lines, even though I'd only heard of Viking, it was great to read the pros and cons here, and the comparison guide was a big help.

Edited by hiccups

It is interesting to note that many cruise lines monitor various boards here at Cruise Critic. In a recent thread about docking in Amsterdam Viking responded: Dear lattelady,

Please contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com so that we may put you in touch with a member of our Customer Relations Team to discuss your experience in further detail. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best,

Viking Cruises

Not necessarily. Some lines may sell the insurance and take a commission, but the insurance is underwritten by an actual insurance company. If the cruise line self-insures, then yes that will likely be a problem.

Which river cruise lines sell commercial insurance?

None.... It's all underwritten by an outside insurance company BUT it does not (ever) cover Default, and only covers from the day you step foot on the boat to the day you step off. The benefits $$ when compared to policies purchased thru (CSA, Travel Guard, etc) are much less when comparing apples to apples.

Most times you can only cover the cruise itself and not air or pre/post days. Go and educate yourself about the limitations of cruise line offered policies vs direct purchase. Talk to the folks at TripInsuranceStore and cruise their website. Even if you don't purchase thru them you will get great info. Also CC has a whole forum just for Travel Insurance... Go read up!

Which river cruise lines sell commercial insurance?

None.... It's all underwritten by an outside insurance company BUT it does not (ever) cover Default, and only covers from the day you step foot on the boat to the day you step off. The benefits $$ when compared to policies purchased thru (CSA, Travel Guard, etc) are much less when comparing apples to apples.

Most times you can only cover the cruise itself and not air or pre/post days. Go and educate yourself about the limitations of cruise line offered policies vs direct purchase. Talk to the folks at TripInsuranceStore and cruise their website. Even if you don't purchase thru them you will get great info. Also CC has a whole forum just for Travel Insurance... Go read up!

Are you talking to me? No need to tell me to educate myself. I just wanted pp to come back and fess up that his assertion was

mash-78.jpg

But is UniWorld just an agent or do they underwrite the insurance that they sell. If a cruise line is in financial difficulties, would an underwriter knowingly let the line sell insurance that included financial default coverage? Would a cruise line that was having problems tell ANYONE that they were about to go under? And would you want to buy insurance from a cruise line that underwrote its own insurance not knowing if they could pay ANY claims brought against that insurance?

Answer those questions before you buy insurance thru any cruise line or tour company!

It is my understanding that Uniworld offers Trip Insurance that is much the same as nearly every other cruise line that Markets to the North American market. It is underwritten by an insurance company but does not offer the protections that you can get thru a third party offering.

This was my experience and understand when I booked with Uniworld and then needed to cancel. Not being an expert of course I could have misunderstood :)

Here is what UniWorld does. For trip cancellation/delay/interruption insurance (they call it protection) they are self-insured. For baggage, medical/dental, and emergency evacuation and assistance coverage that is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance.

So if UniWorld goes belly up before you take your cruise you are most likely somewhere in line with many other creditors. The portion of the premium that was paid to Transamerica would probably be recoverable.

Apparently New York State does not allow UniWorld to act as an insurance company, so residents of that state are covered by Transamerica for the trip cancellation/delay/interruption part.

I have no clue as to how other cruise lines work their insurance. This is my first cruise and I haven't even taken it yet, but will soon! :)

Are you talking to me? No need to tell me to educate myself. I just wanted pp to come back and fess up that his assertion was

mash-78.jpg

Oh, and if you were talking to me, your apology will be graciously accepted. :)

The topic is "...how do you protect your vacation?" Being in line with other creditors in a bankruptcy proceeding does't leave me feeling protected or comfortable.

Edited by CPT Trips