4-5 days pre-cruise with kids. FLL or MIA?

Maddysdaddy

Hi all.

MY family has always sailed out of Port Canaveral (DCL), so the time we spend and activities we do pre-cruise have always been quite easy to plan.

On our next cruise, we are sailing on NCL out of MIA, so are now thinking about flying into MIA or FLL 4-5 days early (because you just never know how long you might get stranded flying from Canada in the winter, so we'd rather play it safe and have that buffer).

Having never been to either, I've been trying to research both cities on the net, to see if one has "more" to do for families than the other, and the sense I'm getting is that while FLL is more laid back and MIA has more to do, neither are particularly family friendly in terms of things to do with an almost 12 year old girl. We're going to have 7 days on the ship doing nothing but enjoying the sun and fresh air, so spending time on the beaches pre-cruise does not hold a heck of a lot of appeal.

As well, I think I have convinced friends to join us, and they have 3 year old twin girls and a 6 year old boy, so I would ask that you please also factor that into any response.

Am I wrong on this (I hope I am)? If so, all advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all.

MY family has always sailed out of Port Canaveral (DCL), so the time we spend and activities we do pre-cruise have always been quite easy to plan.

On our next cruise, we are sailing on NCL out of MIA, so are now thinking about flying into MIA or FLL 4-5 days early (because you just never know how long you might get stranded flying from Canada in the winter, so we'd rather play it safe and have that buffer).

Having never been to either, I've been trying to research both cities on the net, to see if one has "more" to do for families than the other, and the sense I'm getting is that while FLL is more laid back and MIA has more to do, neither are particularly family friendly in terms of things to do with an almost 12 year old girl. We're going to have 7 days on the ship doing nothing but enjoying the sun and fresh air, so spending time on the beaches pre-cruise does not hold a heck of a lot of appeal.

As well, I think I have convinced friends to join us, and they have 3 year old twin girls and a 6 year old boy, so I would ask that you please also factor that into any response.

Am I wrong on this (I hope I am)? If so, all advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Take a look at Fort Lauderdale for your family and friends- http://www.sunny.org/ways-to-play/attractions/

I live north of Fort Lauderdale so I am biased but I think adults and kids could have a wonderful time in Fort Lauderdale. In addition to the website given above, go to http://www.sunny.org/ways-to-play/kids/ for kid friendly attractions. Off the top of my head, there is the water taxi, the Jungle Queen and the Carrie B on the intracoastal and the Museum of Science and Discovery in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Since you'll be spending a few days, rent a car and go to Flamingo Gardens and/or Butterfly World. And the absolutely best 'nature oriented trip' (from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale) is Everglades National Park. If you don't want to spend an entire day at the park, go to one of the private parks on the edge of the Everglades that feature airboat rides and alligators.

Edited by capriccio

I live north of Fort Lauderdale so I am biased but I think adults and kids could have a wonderful time in Fort Lauderdale. In addition to the website given above, go to http://www.sunny.org/ways-to-play/kids/ for kid friendly attractions. Off the top of my head, there is the water taxi, the Jungle Queen and the Carrie B on the intracoastal and the Museum of Science and Discovery in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Since you'll be spending a few days, rent a car and go to Flamingo Gardens and/or Butterfly World. And the absolutely best 'nature oriented trip' (from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale) is Everglades National Park. If you don't want to spend an entire day at the park, go to one of the private parks on the edge of the Everglades that feature airboat rides and alligators.

We will be there early July and are hearing Everglades is not a good bet this time of year. True?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be there early July and are hearing Everglades is not a good bet this time of year. True?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately yes because it is hot, rainy and buggy. The wildlife and birds congregate at waterholes during the dry (cooler and no bugs) season from November through April.

We usually stay for a couple of days in Hollywood. It's not far from FLL and we rent a car after the cruise so we have it if needed till the flight home. Hollywood "broadwalk" and beach is great for families, def not the nightlife like Miami Beach, but still just as beautiful.

Having never been to either, I've been trying to research both cities on the net, to see if one has "more" to do for families than the other, and the sense I'm getting is that while FLL is more laid back and MIA has more to do, neither are particularly family friendly in terms of things to do with an almost 12 year old girl. .

Yes, we ship all twelve year old girls out of South Florida because there is nothing to do for them.

Shopping, water taxi, IMAX, Sawgrass Mills, live music acts at the Hard Rock or Broward Center, Jungle Queen, Ski Rixen, etc in Fort Lauderdale.

There is so much to do in Miami that I can't even list it all. My blog is a good place to start.