tie needed

ricruzer

sorry to ask this question again, but we are traveling on the Grand in 2 weeks and would to know for sure if I need to wear a suit and tie on formal night or just pants and dress shirt will do! I would appreciate hearing from anyone who just sailed on the Grand in Alaska. Thank you

My husband hasn't worn a tie in years, and does just fine on cruise ship formal nights in a button down shirt- nephews wore polo shirts. Yep- sure some "looks". I don't care. :) But sorry, just about anything goes on cruise ships now. just sit me in a hidden corner.

They will let you in without a tie, but you will be in the minority. The only thing to consider is whether you will feel "underdressed" if the vast majority are wearing suits and ties.

They will let you in without a tie, but you will be in the minority. The only thing to consider is whether you will feel "underdressed" if the vast majority are wearing suits and ties.

The OP should not let this bother him at "ALL" :rolleyes:

The OP should not let this bother him at "ALL" :rolleyes:

Perhaps not, but some people DO feel uncomfortable if they are under/over dressed for an occasion and stand out. It sounds like this OP won't be bothered by it, just saying that some would, and that's a personal thing.

I'm seeing more of a wide range of attire these days. Rather than the "majority" being in ties, which wasn't the case on my varied 17 cruises last year on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and HAL. All at least 7 days. (sometimes it can be skewed on shorter cruises).

I'm seeing more of a wide range of attire these days. Rather than the "majority" being in ties, which wasn't the case on my varied 17 cruises last year on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and HAL. All at least 7 days. (sometimes it can be skewed on shorter cruises).

Agree...there isn't a "majority" any longer..all you need to do is just look around with open eyes and an open mind rather than thinking some are under-dressed...not the case anymore...and it would be helpful on these boards if this was the attitude when answering these questions...but I don't think you're ever going to convenience some that things have changed. ;)

Just got off the Grand today after a glorious 2 weeks in Alaska...1 week on land and 1 week on cruise. On the second formal night, hubby wore just a golf shirt and khakis to the dining room and it was fine. (We had anytime dining.) There were people in sorts of dress. With luggage restrictions and limited packing space, don't bother packing a dress shirt & tie.

• 2 weeks later...

I can now answer my own question,we just got off the grand today. We had anytime dining,we never had to wait for a table for four, and on the two formal nights,I would guess about 3/4 of the men had on either of the following dress: suit plus tie: suit or sport jacket with no tie: or just a shirt and tie with no jacket. The rest wore just pants and a shirt. However, no one looked or cared what other people wore, so I would say dress anyway you feel comfortable!! I wore suit with no tie and was very comfortable.

Just off celebrity. I would say for the most part people changed and dressed nicely for dinner. A lot of dress shirts on men on non formal nights. I would say formal nights were quite dressy. Most men had at least a jacket a lot with ties. A lot of full dark suits and a few tuxes and gowns.

I don't think we get to make the rules. A lot of people including my husband think formal nights are silly and old fashioned. But, as long as they exist we should respect them. Does it effect my dinner or my trip that people wore khakis and a polo on formal night or the occasional T-shirt?? Not at all. But, I think it's in appropriate. If your cruise has a formal night. Suck it up or eat in the buffet or your cabin. Just my 2 cents!

It should never be about what you can get away with!

Just off celebrity. I would say for the most part people changed and dressed nicely for dinner. A lot of dress shirts on men on non formal nights. I would say formal nights were quite dressy. Most men had at least a jacket a lot with ties. A lot of full dark suits and a few tuxes and gowns.

I don't think we get to make the rules. A lot of people including my husband think formal nights are silly and old fashioned. But, as long as they exist we should respect them. Does it effect my dinner or my trip that people wore khakis and a polo on formal night or the occasional T-shirt?? Not at all. But, I think it's in appropriate. If your cruise has a formal night. Suck it up or eat in the buffet or your cabin. Just my 2 cents!

It should never be about what you can get away with!

I so agree.

It s all about having the manners and grace to comply with the requests of your host.

A host to polite to refuse you service even when you refuse to comply with what they ask,.

Just returned from the Coral where a man was denied entry to the MDR on Formal night without a tie. Yet on second formal night I even saw a lady with jeans on .

The biggest problem with dress codes/suggestions/requests the inconsistent enforcement.

They need to either enforce them [which shouldn't be needed] or do away with them.