Glacier day cancelled

azmaui

Hi, I'm currently on Radiance of the seas northbound. We were suppose to be in Hubbard glacier today but it was cancelled due to severe weather. Whole ship is moving a lot, stuff was flying in the room last night. Lots of people sea sick. Just a heads up for everyone who is planning a cruise to experience a glacier day.

Also I had an interesting conversation with an official (not associated with cruise line) who told me that glacier bay might get closed to cruise ships in next 2 years.

Also I had an interesting conversation with an official (not associated with cruise line) who told me that glacier bay might get closed to cruise ships in next 2 years.

I hope this is a rumor, not fact. We were in Glacier Bay a little over two weeks ago. It was magical and stunning, and I'm so grateful for the experience.

On an Alaska cruise last September, we had to skip Hubbard Glacier because of weather - basically the captain had to pull further away from the shore and loop back the next day, because the seas were too rough.

Agreed about Glacier Bay - they have parts of it usually closed in the summer to preserve wildlife (and provide peace and quiet for the mating season). Hopefully they won't have to close the entire ingress into the bay.

Edited by Illyria

On an Alaska cruise last September, we had to skip Hubbard Glacier because of weather - basically the captain had to pull further away from the shore and loop back the next day, because the seas were too rough.

Agreed about Glacier Bay - they have parts of it usually closed in the summer to preserve wildlife (and provide peace and quiet for the mating season). Hopefully they won't have to close the entire ingress into the bay.

"Rumors" and speculation is always heard about Glacier Bay. Unless this information was direct from Park Service- which would be simple to ask- then it would, otherwise be a rehash. There was a reformulation of the permit process several years ago, that currently remains in effect and unchanged.

As for the above comment about the "parts closed", and "usually"- you need to look at a map- it's only about the small portion- of the John Hopkins Glacier. some cruises do sail within view of it, prior to the opening of Sept. 1. But this is hardly a deal breaker with the ability to go to Glacier Bay. Cruise ships have always sailed, the Tar Inlet, continuing the same route currently.

Edited by Budget Queen

We missed Hubbard Glacier on my Radiance cruise years ago. It was a huge disappointment as that was the only glacier visit on our cruise.

Since then, I have been trying to book itineraries that have 2 glacier visits so that if you miss one, it is not as disappointing.

I hope you make it back to Alaska in the future to see Glacier Bay, Hubbard or College Fiords.

Edited by Coral

I also missed Hubbard on 5/22 on the Pacific Princess. Lots of ice in the water and tons of fog. Even without the ice we would not have been able to see anything so Captain made the call to skip. In all my trips up here (20+) that was the first time we have totally skipped a Glacier. Had two stops in Glacier bay and both were spectacular sunny, warm days so can't complain much

Hi, I'm currently on Radiance of the seas northbound. We were suppose to be in Hubbard glacier today but it was cancelled due to severe weather. Whole ship is moving a lot, stuff was flying in the room last night. Lots of people sea sick. Just a heads up for everyone who is planning a cruise to experience a glacier day.

What was the reason given for the possible closure? So sorry your trip had to cut the Bay

I also missed Hubbard on 5/22 on the Pacific Princess. Lots of ice in the water and tons of fog. Even without the ice we would not have been able to see anything so Captain made the call to skip.....
It can vary a lot depending on the Captain you get, as well as on the condition of the particular ship.

The Millennium got in very close to Hubbard Glacier on its visits there both the week of 5/22 heading northbound, and again the week of 5/29 heading southbound. The views were spectacular.

Going southbound on May 30, the ship encountered heavy fog at the entrance to the bay that continued for a good part of the way in, so we were expecting that the captain would not even try to go all the way.

But he persisted and took us all the way in. By the time we got close to the glacier, we were out of the fog and we had glorious, clear views of repeated calving complete with the booming sound effects, getting within 1/2 mile of the face of the glacier.

It is not uncommon at Hubbard Glacier that one ship will go all the way in, while another turns around on the same day without even trying, blaming it on the weather.

We have seen that happen before in previous years.

So sorry you missed Hubbard Glacier and I hope you get to return someday :(

The roughest seas I ever experienced was on Oosterdam in May 2007 between Hubbard Glacier and Sitka. The only time I have ever been seasick and it was no fun!

Missing glacier days early in the season, unfortunately is not an unheard of occurrence. As to the closing of Glacier Bay, I think it is nothing more than a rumour.

I missed Hubbard Glacier in July once.... It was missed for several weeks that year.

There are very heavy rains moving through SE Alaska currently. There are watches issued for several of the rivers as the surrounding ground is nearing saturation point. I'm guessing this front is what is causing your rough seas, too.

I have not taken an Alaskan cruise and really don't plan to. I spend 6 wks. in the summer and 2 wks. in the winter up there. About 10 yrs. ago I took a ferry from Whittier to Cordova and stayed for 5 days. I was fortunate to drive 50 miles down a gravel road to view the Childs Glacier on the Copper river. There was a viewing area to watch the glacier calve on the other side of the river. Large chunks of ice would cause a wave to wash ashore. When the water receded there would be salmon flopping on the ground. Then the show started when the bears showed up fighting over the fish. The reason I said fortunate is from what I've heard the road to the site was washed out by spring rains. I think the only access is by boat. This is just one of the interesting moments I have witnessed riding the ferry system in Alaska.

I also missed Hubbard on 5/22 on the Pacific Princess. Lots of ice in the water and tons of fog. Even without the ice we would not have been able to see anything so Captain made the call to skip. In all my trips up here (20+) that was the first time we have totally skipped a Glacier. Had two stops in Glacier bay and both were spectacular sunny, warm days so can't complain much

Also missed Hubbard Glacier on the Southbound Pacific Princess on the 5/26. The ice was very heavy. The noise from the collisions between the ice and the ship made me positive Captain Stringer made the right decision. Can't imagine the park service closing Glacier Bay. at 10$ a head that's a lot of money.

By the time we got close to the glacier, we were out of the fog and we had glorious, clear views of repeated calving complete with the booming sound effects, getting within 1/2 mile of the face of the glacier.

It is not uncommon at Hubbard Glacier that one ship will go all the way in, while another turns around on the same day without even trying, blaming it on the weather.

We have seen that happen before in previous years.

It is simple science, get within that window of cold air hitting warmer- the warmer (fog) rises- so you ALWAYS will get clear viewing of glaciers at that point.

The "stories" that sound good, by those announcing safety, etc sound good, aren't disputed, but not at all factual about the potential to sail the area. I've been in boats, that did take the time- creeping up, going through packed ice for some distance. With cruise ships- it boils down to time.

Think about it- if there was any reality to those "safety issues" do you really think any cruise ship would be sailing there? Nope- they wouldn't and I haven't heard of any ships sinking lately. It sounds good and is readily accepted. About it.

Also missed Hubbard Glacier on the Southbound Pacific Princess on the 5/26. The ice was very heavy. The noise from the collisions between the ice and the ship made me positive Captain Stringer made the right decision.

I had my dates wrong it was 5/26 I missed Hubbard, we were on the same cruise. After a B2B2B and just returning to work I guess my brain is still on vacation. lol

I hope this is a rumor, not fact. We were in Glacier Bay a little over two weeks ago. It was magical and stunning, and I'm so grateful for the experience.

How was your experience? We are on the Coral in less than two weeks - she is getting mixed reviews so far. I hear you had amazing weather during the time frame when you were there.

Sorry to hear that! I just got off the millennium and we were very lucky to have had the best glacier day I have ever experienced on 4 Alaska cruises. Someti,ex if the weather is bad they will try to make up for it on another day if they can. That happened to us 2 years ago and they surprised us two days later and went into glacier bay!

As for the above comment about the "parts closed", and "usually"- you need to look at a map- it's only about the small portion- of the John Hopkins Glacier. some cruises do sail within view of it, prior to the opening of Sept. 1. But this is hardly a deal breaker with the ability to go to Glacier Bay. Cruise ships have always sailed, the Tar Inlet, continuing the same route currently.

I know about Johns Hopkins Glacier portion - that was the portion that was actually open on our cruise (since it was late September), so the captain was able to take us there...and the Johns Hopkins glacier obliged us with some spectacular calving. I just thought I heard the naturalist mention that it wasn't the only portion of the bay that was closed for wildlife in the summer, but I really don't remember what the map looks like and which route we took.

Talked several groups who just got off the Radience and was told that they had experienced winds of approx 150 MPH and waves of 35'. A heavy front came through and our temps have dropped from 70's to the 50's..all of the groups told me that the cpt. made a "quick" turn to alter the course because of the high winds. They were told that the boat listed approx 10 degrees..many passengers slept in the atrium area or whatever Radience calls it because they were afraid to stay in their cabins. Not sure how much of this is true, but several groups told me the same story...so.......In any event, it seems like the staff made the safe choice for all concerned...we occasionally have winds that high...it is not rare.....

Edited by laughing husky

I was on that trip. At the Captains corner from memory he said 80 knot winds, 10 meter swell and 6.5 degree list when we did the turn. Yes people were sleeping in centrum! It was pretty scary for a while there - my mums bottle of wine slid off her desk but was caught by a towel animal on the couch! The peacock was decapitated but the wine survived!

It was handled well by the captain and crew. His reassuring announcements during the early morning drama were appreciated by many.