Cruise Pricing

flemtagg

Hello Everyone I booked a cruise in January for November and got free onboard credit due to being 175th year, just noticed the cruise price has come down by 300 pounds per person less that what I paid with a better cabin grade , there is no onboard credit but even taking that into consideration I am still quids down, as this is my first time with Cunard I was wondering if all you seasoned Cunard travelers could advice me of the best time to book, obviously not early, I know you pays you money and takes your chance but I do feel a wee bit peeved at the amount of the price drop. Plus the credit does not seem like a free gift anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Everyone I booked a cruise in January for November and got free onboard credit due to being 175th year, just noticed the cruise price has come down by 300 pounds per person less that what I paid with a better cabin grade , there is no onboard credit but even taking that into consideration I am still quids down, as this is my first time with Cunard I was wondering if all you seasoned Cunard travelers could advice me of the best time to book, obviously not early, I know you pays you money and takes your chance but I do feel a wee bit peeved at the amount of the price drop. Plus the credit does not seem like a free gift anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Similar thread on the P and O board (Carnival sister brand)

No one will really give you the best time to book.

Rather than lowering the Cunard fare, OBS would be moved up/down.

Now like P and O seems like they are adjusting the fare.

Very very close to sailing the price will drop, but that would come with different T and C.

Some say if you book when bookings first open you can usually get a deal, but I am not sure that applies any more.

Just pick a cruise ,keep and eye on it and see what its doing. If it is selling well at Cunard prices they are less likely to reduce that to the other fares.

I have always stuck by, when I like the cruise and the price, book. Then NEVER NEVER look at the prices again.

Other people on the cruise will have paid less than me, and I accept that, but as I never discuss with anyone onboard how much I paid, it does not bother me.

If you booked the Cunard fare are you able to cancel and rebook at the lower fare....I'm in a similar position my November cruise is £500 per person cheaper than when I booked but I have $1480 per person free spend which I'll loose if I cancel...doing the Maths...I'll stick lol

We have had experiences with both Cunard matching a better, later fare (giving us a reduction) and with Cunard giving us an up-grade.

We are in USA, though, and have until 90 days before sailing to back-out without any penalty. So, when it is more than 90 days before the voyage, Cunard has motivation to give the lower price in the USA---people can just cancel and re-book.

In any case, it never hurts to call and ask. I think you will be told whatever the policy is at the moment. If they are going to say "yes" they will and if not, there is no way to convince Cunard to do otherwise.

There are some great, very inexpensive last minute deals with all cruise lines, but DH and I like the certainty of choosing our cabin and dinner-time in advance. Others, don't mind booking at the very last minute.

Flemtagg, really my advice is to go and have a wonderful, wonderful time! That is the most important thing. If you want a better fare in the future and don't mind uncertainty, withhold booking until the last minute for the next voyage. This voyage, just enjoy every minute!

If you booked the Cunard fare are you able to cancel and rebook at the lower fare....I'm in a similar position my November cruise is £500 per person cheaper than when I booked but I have $1480 per person free spend which I'll loose if I cancel...doing the Maths...I'll stick lol

Cunard say:

With the Cunard Fare, you can make amendments or even change your cruise entirely up to 90 days prior to departure, subject to our booking conditions.

So I'm not sure if you can.

Lucky you getting $1,480 OBC!

Edited by Ray66

Last November I booked a cruise on the Q.E. Cunard fare for this November Balcony cabin Price £3459 pp with $480pp o.b,c. x 2 £6918 today the same cabin on a Cunard fare is £2199 pp x 2 £4398 & no o.b.c That's £2520 cheaper, So I am cancelling my booking & rebooking at the lower fare (same cabin grade) even after losing my deposit of £1038 I am still better off by £1482. Ok I have lost the o.b.c but the £1482 reduction will make up for that. As our American members say do the Maths.

I too booked early in the year for a December cruise.... The price is down but the cabin choice is limited, they have also thrown in drinks now as well. I was peeved to begin with, but i am happy with our choice of cabin, and the certainty that ihave got what i have booked.....so would i leave it later next time to book, im not to sure? Its alwys a bit of a gamble!

Generally (most cruises) the only thing that beats an early bird sale is the last minute sale (a few weeks prior to the sailing). Of course if you wait, you cannot have your choice of any cabin and if the itinerary is popular then there may not be any last minute sale.

Last November I booked a cruise on the Q.E. Cunard fare for this November Balcony cabin Price £3459 pp with $480pp o.b,c. x 2 £6918 today the same cabin on a Cunard fare is £2199 pp x 2 £4398 & no o.b.c That's £2520 cheaper, So I am cancelling my booking & rebooking at the lower fare (same cabin grade) even after losing my deposit of £1038 I am still better off by £1482. Ok I have lost the o.b.c but the £1482 reduction will make up for that. As our American members say do the Maths.

We did the same sort of thing a few years ago with a section of the World. We were booked for Cape Town but a few months before going did the maths; we ended up going to Singapore for less money. We did have the time though to travel longer and we didn't mind loosing our "picked" cabin, preferred dinner sitting and OBCs. Some wouldn't have been happy with that so you book when it suits you

Just did a quick check for our QV July voyage and we purchased "early bird" fares late last year for $3350pp (AUD) in a balcony cabin (can't remember the grade off the top of my head); these cabins are now $1800pp and Q3 penthouses are at $3200pp. Foiled again.

For our next cruise on the QV we paid £929 each (Cunard Fare). We booked in February. Yesterday it was £1249 each. Today it's £849 (all cunard fare, all same grade).

It's like buying shares !

Excellent comparison. The man who buys a cruise for BP 929 will feel happy when he sees it later sold for BP 1249, but not quite so happy if he sees it later sold for BP 500. If he lets his happiness depend on the good (or bad) fortune of others, rather than on his own experience, he will continually tie himself in knots.

Just received confirmation from my T.A & I have exactly the same cabin for £2199 pp x 2 =£4398 +$380 obc+ $600 obc from the F,C,D + $400 military obc = $1360 obc So I have lost $480 obc But I am saving £1582 & my T.A has also now given me Free Car Parking that would have cost me £244 So I am a Happy Bunny with the result

Just did a quick check for our QV July voyage and we purchased "early bird" fares late last year for $3350pp (AUD) in a balcony cabin (can't remember the grade off the top of my head); these cabins are now $1800pp and Q3 penthouses are at $3200pp. Foiled again.

Upgrade now.:D

Just received confirmation from my T.A & I have exactly the same cabin for £2199 pp x 2 =£4398 +$380 obc+ $600 obc from the F,C,D + $400 military obc = $1360 obc So I have lost $480 obc But I am saving £1582 & my T.A has also now given me Free Car Parking that would have cost me £244 So I am a Happy Bunny with the result

Great work. Enjoy your happy bunny activities.;)

We booked in March for an August transatlantic round trip and the price on that has dropped dramatically. They are also offering automatic upgrades. Had a long "conversation" with Cunard yesterday and have been upgraded two levels as a gesture of goodwill. Better than nothing but we'd have been way better off waiting if we'd known.

Edited by Thascales

We booked in March for an August transatlantic round trip and the price on that has dropped dramatically. They are also offering automatic upgrades. Had a long "conversation" with Cunard yesterday and have been upgraded two levels as a gesture of goodwill. Better than nothing but we'd have been way better off waiting if we'd known.

Did you book directly with Cunard or through an Agent. We have the same predicament but booked through an Agent. We did get a lot of obc when we booked but the price drop has easily covered that. As you say it is the automatic upgrades that I feel a bit put out about rather than the price drop. People booking now can choose a better balcony cabin than us and have paid only for inside.

As we booked through an agent I assume he would have to make the request?

Did you book directly with Cunard or through an Agent. We have the same predicament but booked through an Agent. We did get a lot of obc when we booked but the price drop has easily covered that. As you say it is the automatic upgrades that I feel a bit put out about rather than the price drop. People booking now can choose a better balcony cabin than us and have paid only for inside.

As we booked through an agent I assume he would have to make the request?

We booked direct with Cunard. We didn't get any OBC or free parking so really felt aggrieved by the "early saver" which wasn't a saver at all as it turns out.

We booked direct with Cunard. We didn't get any OBC or free parking so really felt aggrieved by the "early saver" which wasn't a saver at all as it turns out.

Thanks Thascales, I will probably just leave it. I'll end up getting annoyed or stressed to try and move towards mid ships by half a dozen cabins or so and then be peeved when they don't do it. We paid once again for the Cunard fare to guarantee second sitting and booked in January for August as I do enjoy looking forward to the holiday but think next year we will try leaving it til closer to the time. There seems to be loads of availability and price decreases.

I just wish Cunard would wake up to the fact that they are causing some dissatisfaction to some people (I know not all) by not treating the early bookers with a bit of fairness. I accept the price I paid, I know I have the dinner sitting I want, I'm actually not too bothered about choosing the exact cabin as quite often I'm just guessing which one I think I may prefer, but it wouldn't cost Cunard anything to give us a better grade cabin when they are offering free upgrades. If I was booking last minute on an inside cabin I would be delighted to be given a balcony grade whether it be BE or BB, and consequently if I book a BE grade 8 months before I would be happy to be give a BB grade prior to sailing, thus having 2 happy bookings rather than 1. Rant over......there's a Sunday lunch to cook

Thanks Thascales, I will probably just leave it. I'll end up getting annoyed or stressed to try and move towards mid ships by half a dozen cabins or so and then be peeved when they don't do it. We paid once again for the Cunard fare to guarantee second sitting and booked in January for August as I do enjoy looking forward to the holiday but think next year we will try leaving it til closer to the time. There seems to be loads of availability and price decreases.

I just wish Cunard would wake up to the fact that they are causing some dissatisfaction to some people (I know not all) by not treating the early bookers with a bit of fairness. I accept the price I paid, I know I have the dinner sitting I want, I'm actually not too bothered about choosing the exact cabin as quite often I'm just guessing which one I think I may prefer, but it wouldn't cost Cunard anything to give us a better grade cabin when they are offering free upgrades. If I was booking last minute on an inside cabin I would be delighted to be given a balcony grade whether it be BE or BB, and consequently if I book a BE grade 8 months before I would be happy to be give a BB grade prior to sailing, thus having 2 happy bookings rather than 1. Rant over......there's a Sunday lunch to cook

Our upgrade moves us from BV grade to BF.

Just pick a cruise ,keep and eye on it and see what its doing. If it is selling well at Cunard prices they are less likely to reduce that to the other fares.

I have always stuck by, when I like the cruise and the price, book. Then NEVER NEVER look at the prices again.

Other people on the cruise will have paid less than me, and I accept that, but as I never discuss with anyone onboard how much I paid, it does not bother me.

That's sometimes a bit difficult when Cunard's website has the latest promotion on their front page, they have full page adverts in newspapers and I've even been on a crossword solver website today that had a Cunard advert on it.

I agree. I've seen categories that have been shown as sold out for quite a while suddenly become available under this free upgrade promotion. So they must have known all along that they were going to do this. So much for first come, best served.