Yum yum men?

NewSalt

On the thread about the attack on HAL, a poster mentioned "yum yum men" delivering food.

Please, what is a yum yum man?

It sounds like someone to put on my list of "People I'd like to be able to hire someday," somewhere between "Personal chef" and "Pool boy."

A "Yum Yum Man" is a gentleman wearing an old fashioned elevator operator's uniform who stands at the door of the dining room as you exit. He will serve you mints, candied ginger or figs, whatever you wish. Before dinner he walks around the deck playing chimes, announcing the dining room is open.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

On the thread about the attack on HAL, a poster mentioned "yum yum men" delivering food.

Please, what is a yum yum man?

It sounds like someone to put on my list of "People I'd like to be able to hire someday," somewhere between "Personal chef" and "Pool boy."

As you leave the MDR there is a cart/tray there and a crew member serving ginger or dates or a couple other small tidbits. That crew member is the YumYum man.

One should have huge respect to these greeters, who at all times must have a smile on their face.

Same goes for all Crew onboard really.

We all too often forget about the hard life crew have onboard, just to please us, spoiled passengers.

I know that I would not be able to do their job for a long time.

Started out at sea Chipping rust and peeling potatoes , I now wear 4 stripes, but do remember very well how miserable and homesick I sometimes felt,( being seasick didn't help )...

One should have huge respect to these greeters, who at all times must have a smile on their face.

Same goes for all Crew onboard really.

We all too often forget about the hard life crew have onboard, just to please us, spoiled passengers.

I know that I would not be able to do their job for a long time.

Started out at sea Chipping rust and peeling potatoes , I now wear 4 stripes, but do remember very well how miserable and homesick I sometimes felt,( being seasick didn't help )...

Congratulations on working your way up through the ranks. Do you still go to sea?

I believe at one time he also served as "chimemaster" and rang his chimes reminding everyone it was dinnertime.

Yep, he (they; each ship has two) have a little Xylophone that he carries around on one arm and plays for that purpose

An after dinner treat. What a lovely idea.

I leave for my second HAL cruise on Zuiderdam after an absence of several years in three weeks.

Must admit my first cruise on Noordam was less than a stellar experience but from reading these threads and our roll call it appears that there have been significant improvements.

Really looking forward to it

Edited by Spursgirl

He always reminds of us the man in the old Philip Morris cigarette commercials.

Same here. Also, some of the great hotels in the Far East had lobby staff dressed that way (and perhaps still do.)

It's a wonderful HAL tradition that brings a smile the first time we see him on every cruise.

He always reminds of us the man in the old Philip Morris cigarette commercials.

Only slightly off topic, but your post reminds me of when my late father was a California Highway Patrolman and stopped a speeder on the infamous Highway 99 in Tulare County. The driver was the man in the commercials and he even had his uniform on when he got his speeding ticket!

Same here. Also, some of the great hotels in the Far East had lobby staff dressed that way (and perhaps still do.)

It's a wonderful HAL tradition that brings a smile the first time we see him on every cruise.

Raffles Hotel, Singapore. :)

Sue, who was a wonderful ambassador for his hometown of Surabaya, always greeted us by name and with a smile on that same Rotterdam cruise. Whether he was doling out ginger and mints as the Yum Yum man, or waiting tables in the buffet areas, his attitude and good humour brightened every day.