Disinfecting your room?

gertieginsc

The problem with this sort of association is that there is no way to prove causality. If I painted my face yellow on every cruise and I never became ill, that doesn't mean the yellow face paint caused me to stay well.

We need to do a careful study of the effect of yellow face paint on reducing the chance of getting sick. Get a group of identical twins to eliminate differences in genetic makeup and paint on of each twin's face yellow and leave the other twin unpainted. Put one of each twin in a room filled with Noro virus and the other twin in an identical room that has been UV irradiated to kill off everything in the room. Then see how many people in the Noro room get sick.

As long as the group is large enough eliminate other differences in the test subjects, this should determine if painting your face yellow.

Any other ideas of how to handle the effect of yellow face painting on resistance to bugs.

LOL!!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

LOL. That picture. Dammit, now I'm going to hafta wipe down our cabin!:D

I would bet that if the poster did the same wipe down at home the cloth would be just as dirty. Nobody cleans their homes twice a day like their staterooms do. I find it ironic that most people insist that their hotel and staterooms be cleaner than they keep their own homes. :)

I would bet that if the poster did the same wipe down at home the cloth would be just as dirty. Nobody cleans their homes twice a day like their staterooms do. I find it ironic that most people insist that their hotel and staterooms be cleaner than they keep their own homes. :)

What a presumptuous comment.

Your cabin isn't cleaned twice a day. It's serviced. There is a difference. There is also a huge difference between cleaning something and disinfecting it.

What is it exactly you do in a hospital?

Admittedly, it wouldn't take much to outdo my housekeeping. :)

Your cabin isn't cleaned twice a day. It's serviced. There is a difference. There is also a huge difference between cleaning something and disinfecting it.

The typical home is not nearly as clean as the owners think it is. If you claim differently, you must be an extraordinary house keeper. How often you you disinfect your own home?

Edited by SantaFeFan

I find the whole thing ridiculous. We don't wipe down our cabin or use the "sanitizing" stuff on our hands. It actually irritates mine badly. We do wash our hands well and avoid touching the handrails and elevator buttons with our hands (elbow on the rails, knuckle on the buttons). We have never gotten sick on a ship other than my husband being seasick and my getting food poisoning from one item on a special buffet. We prefer to keep our bodies used to germs and medicate internally with alcohol.

The typical home is not nearly as clean as the owners think it is. If you claim differently, you must be an extraordinary house keeper. How often you you disinfect your own home?

I thought the topic of this thread was whether folks disinfected a cruise cabin, not how clean my home was.

Some people don't care about cleanliness and some do. I merely provided the after evidence of having disinfecting our cruise cabin. It's interesting how rather than accepting that evidence, some posters have turned the topic to doubting whether my home was any cleaner. Really? So rather than acknowledge that the cruise cabin wasn't clean, the argument becomes I bet that my own home isn't clean either so why should I want a clean cruise cabin?

I thought the topic of this thread was whether folks disinfected a cruise cabin, not how clean my home was.

Some people don't care about cleanliness and some do. I merely provided the after evidence of having disinfecting our cruise cabin. It's interesting how rather than accepting that evidence, some posters have turned the topic to doubting whether my home was any cleaner. Really? So rather than acknowledge that the cruise cabin wasn't clean, the argument becomes I bet that my own home isn't clean either so why should I want a clean cruise cabin?

Wow! A bit overly sensitive, aren't you? Chill out. Relax. No insult or negative implication was intended in my lighthearted teasing. No need to overreact to germs AND to my comments. Just pick ONE and stick with it! :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have a (not deserved in my opinion) reputation as being a germphobe. Here's what I do when I travel:

I pick up the remote control and turn it to the side. I take a toothpick or needle and run it down the 'crack' where the two sides meet. If it comes out clean, I don't investigate any further. It it's gross (and you know it's all residue from someone's nasty hands), I clean it- along with light switches, door handles, etc.

I could have written your entire comment. I do exactly the same thing. If anyone wants to bash me, then go ahead. I know I have a problem and you telling me I'm silly or crazy does not help in the least.

But yes, I wipe down surfaces too. :)

It is no sillier than fear of spiders, fear of heights, fear of snakes, fear of clowns or any other fear. If it bothers you, scares you, freaks you out- then do what you need to do to minimize your discomfort.

People belittling others fears is just mean spirited.

I don't wipe down my cabin all the time. I do carry around hand sanitizer due to the disgusting things I see other passengers do before and after touching things I intend to come in contact with.

As Americans we are conditioned to fear germs by the chemical companies that sell all of this.

This.

We humans need to be exposed to germs so we can build healthy immune systems.

I've been on 20 cruises and I've caught my share of colds (never noro). A ship's doctor once told me many viruses are spread through the air when somebody sneezes and you enter that air space. I used to be a cabin-wiper but no longer. I wash my hands a lot and haven't been sick for a long time.

Someone here said to stay out of the elevators--that makes sense.

Whenever I am staying in a hotel I do check for bed bugs and I do wipe down frequently handled surfaces like remote, telephone, light switches with a lysol wipe.. But I mostly put my stock in hand washing. Lots of hand washing. There are good online articles on whether purell, etc is effective or not. My take on those is that hand washing beats them every time. Also you have to really saturate your hands for gel sanitizers to work at all. Typical 1 pump is not effective at all - more like 3 or 4. I think it's ok to take some reasonable precautions, just be sure to have fun.

We've never done it, probably never will. We've also never been sick on a ship, knock wood.

The media strikes again with their scare-the-bejeesus out of people about every little thing. It's a wonder humankind survived.

I also eat cookie dough raw! (And lots of other no-no's to the clean crowd.) I know, living dangerously.

Americans seem to love their sprays, their wipes, their pads, and most especially those ineffective hand jells.

Is it the adverts or the media that does this to the population?

Edited by iancal

How do you avoid touching your face? Does repeating to yourself "Yes I know my nose is itching, but if I concentrate hard it will stop" work for you?

Its a learned habit,,, like not biting my nails anymore.... obviously there are times,,but thats why we handwash,,lol!

Professional LYSOL® Brand III Disinfectant Spray (Ready-To-Use) - available in the grocery store but does take some searching - does claim to kill Noro. As someone whose immune system was damaged and is low functioning - I do wipe down certain things upon entry into the cabin. Remote, phone, handles, knobs, etc. Do I think I am then safe - of course not but can I be certain it is useless - no.

I carry my own hand sanitizer (only on a ship or plane) - take it when it is offered on the ship and try to not touch buttons on the elevator or hand railings on the stairs - then wash, wash, wash those hands and no face touching. I've never had Noro or my Dh but I did get extremely ill with an upper respiratory bug on Eclipse in 2014 - DH never caught it. I take no extra precautions in every day life but on a longer cruise, in close quarters - I'm trying to protect myself.

On Quantum of the Seas they installed a series of sinks at the entrance to the buffet and a staff member directed passengers to wash their hands before entering the Windjammer. Happy to report that on my 12 day cruise, I witnessed 100% compliance.

It would be wonderful to have this a mandatory feature on all cruise ships.

Proper hand washing with vigorous action is light years ahead of anything that those silly hand gels can possibly do.

But the latter give out that sense of security and the feeling that the cruise line is in combat with the germs. The former falls into our desire for a quick and easy solution. It makes us feel that we are part of the solution even when we truly may not be. Immediate gratification.

Edited by iancal

I am not a germ freak. I don't want to get sick when I am on my cruise. I bring a few travel packs of Lysol wipes and wipe down the door handles and the light switches and tv remote. bathroom taps. I do that once a day it takes me less than 5 mins to do that.

I am not a germ freak. I don't want to get sick when I am on my cruise. I bring a few travel packs of Lysol wipes and wipe down the door handles and the light switches and tv remote. bathroom taps. I do that once a day it takes me less than 5 mins to do that.

It takes us less than 5 minutes to wipe down many of the hard surfaces in our cabin. The face cloth results picture speaks for itself.

We realize that lots of people were in that cabin before us. People who do the most natural things to them - change a baby's diaper on the bed, sit naked on the bed to get dressed, walk on the furniture, have sex, throw-up in the cabin, sneeze, and yes, some may have died in the cabin.

We also realize that many cruise lines have cut back on the number of cabin stewards and the, "do more with less" may not always work when it comes to effectively cleaning a cabin.

We started cleaning our cabins after an experience several years ago. Imagine our disappointment upon entering our suite and finding it heavily soiled. The furniture and carpet had visible, large stains. Sticky residue could be seen on the desk. The bed skirt was stained. The bathroom sink was not clean. Finger prints were visible on hard surfaces and we found clothing from previous passengers in the suite.

I guess it just comes down to experience. Some passengers have been fortunate to have always received cabins that appeared clean and have never gotten sick. Some have not been so lucky, and respond appropriately.