Switch from NA to Eurodam

In Toronto

Getting really concerned about the vibration problem on NA, especially because we have booked a cabin 10 or so from aft on deck 6.

Does the Eurodam have the same problem? We can still change - before final payment.

Thanks.

Ellen

Do you believe everything you read?

She should. We experienced it twice. First time minor second time severe as in the NA video below. Had aft wraps on both.

Some experience it, some don't--we did. :( Never felt that on the Eurodam.

NA vibration video in Lido:

;) This was like our second NA cruise. Edited by kjw869

She should. We experienced it twice. First time minor second time severe as in the NA video below. Had aft wraps on both.

;) This was like our second NA cruise.

LOL ... looks like a scene from the movie "The Exorcist" :D

We were on the Eurodam in January, 2012, and experienced strong vibration. It was really noticeable in one section of the on-board jewellery store. There was one counter where it was so strong that it was uncomfortable to stand there.

We were on the NA in 2013 and didn't notice it at all.

It seems to be a design flaw with these ships and an intermittent problem.

Thank you for video.

Glad it wasn't that bad the last time we were on her.

A few years ago I read on here about vibration in the Lido on Eurodam. Sure enough on our next cruise you could sit at your table and watch the flowers in the vase sway alot. It was not really bothersome, but it did exist.

It has not prevented us from rebooking on her.

That is an awesome video!. I experienced something like that on the Zuiderdam when she was new in the very aft section of the MDR. Only, I had to act to prevent dishes from traveling across the table only to then crash on the floor.

The only vibration I remember on the Nieuw Amsterdam was in the port side of the Tamarind Restaurant. The starboard side was fine; no vibration.

As another poster wisely has said, I agree that it may be an intermittent issue. Maybe, it has to do with the speed the vessel has reached.

Folks should grow up. Yes vibrations occur. They are not cruise threatening unless perfection is your goal.

Not to be argumentative, you are correct. But. When one sees food/coffee vibrating as it was in the video and what I witnessed, as I said, of a coffee cup and saucer "dancing" across my table, on it way to the floor, that is not "normal".

Ken, just watched the video through to the end and it says that it was on the Amsterdam NOT Nieuw Amsterdam:)

I have had 6175 November 2012 and 5187 December 2015. Not once did we experience the shaking as described or shown in the Amsterdam video.

I nearly lived on my verandah with my eReader, coffee and that which usually causes a ruckus so will remain unamed here, and never had or felt any vibrations.

OP, people are more susceptible to many things that others are not. Case in point, the vibration that you've read others had a problem with in NA's 6166, while I have been on the same deck opposite corner cabuin and felt nothing.

It is something you have to ask yourself.... Are you susceptible to the littlest of movements causing you a problem? And if not are you willing to give up what might be the best stateroom on the ship (at least in my opinion the aft wraps are the true Penthouses on the ship(s)) ?

Only you can make that decision. If it were me, I'd jump at that stateroom without hesitation and count my lucky stars.

Joanie

Ken, just watched the video through to the end and it says that it was on the Amsterdam NOT Nieuw Amsterdam:)

At the end of the video it says "up next" - that is the Amsterdam video. The video in the link is clearly noted as the Nieuw Amsterdam, in the Lido Christmas 2012. Ken got it right.

At the end of the video it says "up next" - that is the Amsterdam video. The video in the link is clearly noted as the Nieuw Amsterdam, in the Lido Christmas 2012. Ken got it right.

Would you be so kind, and I do mean that with true sincerity, please give me the direct link to the URL that actually shows the vibration from the Nieuw Amsterdam? I ask because I went back to see if what you said was true and I was mistaken, you wer right, and it does say Up Next Nieuw Amsterdam. However, that being said the link is to a Holland American Video and while I have not watched it in its entirety, his synopsis says nothing whatsoever about any vibrations. In fact he literally quotes HALs ALASKA snippet.

I am willing to eat crow if you can provide me a direct link so I can see the vibration on Nieuw Amsterdam

I did see in the original link that underneath the video the YouTube Poster said the Video was from Dec 2012 and posted Jan 2013. We were on board her November 2012 and again December 2015 in aft wrap staterooms and felt nothing.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I have had 6175 November 2012 and 5187 December 2015. Not once did we experience the shaking as described or shown in the Amsterdam video.

I nearly lived on my verandah with my eReader, coffee and that which usually causes a ruckus so will remain unamed here, and never had or felt any vibrations.

OP, people are more susceptible to many things that others are not. Case in point, the vibration that you've read others had a problem with in NA's 6166, while I have been on the same deck opposite corner cabuin and felt nothing.

It is something you have to ask yourself.... Are you susceptible to the littlest of movements causing you a problem? And if not are you willing to give up what might be the best stateroom on the ship (at least in my opinion the aft wraps are the true Penthouses on the ship(s)) ?

Only you can make that decision. If it were me, I'd jump at that stateroom without hesitation and count my lucky stars.

Joanie

Joanie, you read that wrong. At the end, it said "Up next, our 2014 Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam". Their video of that trip was next. The NA cruise was in January 2013 that the video was taken. That might have been on the same cruise we were on. While in port in Roatan, the NA was still vibrating. It was a topic of discussion everywhere on the ship, especially the Neptune Lounge.

No, we can handle any motion without a problem. We've been in aft wrap cabins over a dozen times. However, that one cruise we had a hard time sleeping because of the vibrations. Our cabin neighbors did also, as they were celebrating their 100th cruise.

The first time on the NA wasn't that bad. We were also on the Rotterdam Deck of that cruise. The vibrations were only in the Tamarind.

Would you be so kind, and I do mean that with true sincerity, please give me the direct link to the URL that actually shows the vibration from the Nieuw Amsterdam? I ask because I went back to see if what you said was true and I was mistaken, you wer right, and it does say Up Next Nieuw Amsterdam. However, that being said the link is to a Holland American Video and while I have not watched it in its entirety, his synopsis says nothing whatsoever about any vibrations. In fact he literally quotes HALs ALASKA snippet.

I am willing to eat crow if you can provide me a direct link so I can see the vibration on Nieuw Amsterdam

I did see in the original link that underneath the video the YouTube Poster said the Video was from Dec 2012 and posted Jan 2013. We were on board her November 2012 and again December 2015 in aft wrap staterooms and felt nothing.

Joanie

Below is the direct link. This is what we also experienced on the NA.

Below is what it says:

"Published on Jan 11, 2013

Aboard the ms Nieuw Amsterdam with Holland America Line

Christmas 2012 in The Lido restaurant".

You may have been on her in November 2012, but when we were on the NS on January 2013, the video portrays what we experienced. The vibration was brought up the first night at the Suite Welcoming Party. :(

By the way, you couldn't have sailed her on December 2015 as we are only in June of 2015! ;)

Also, take a look at the post today from someone who was in 6166 this past April.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46772498&postcount=49

Edited by kjw869

Wow that is dramatic :eek: Thanks for the link

"Published on Jan 11, 2013

Aboard the ms Nieuw Amsterdam with Holland America Line

Christmas 2012

in The Lido restaurant"

Both the name of the ship, and the vibration issue, seem clear.

Joanie

Joanie, below is another YouTube video published in December 2013 of the NA's vibrations. It is also shot in the Lido and entitled "This ship is nervous".

You may have not experienced this on the NA, but the HAL staff has and is well aware of the problem. (maybe they didn't want to tell you). ;)

Joanie, you read that wrong. At the end, it said "Up next, our 2014 Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam". Their video of that trip was next. The NA cruise was in January 2013 that the video was taken. That might have been on the same cruise we were on. While in port in Roatan, the NA was still vibrating. It was a topic of discussion everywhere on the ship, especially the Neptune Lounge.

No, we can handle any motion without a problem. We've been in aft wrap cabins over a dozen times. However, that one cruise we had a hard time sleeping because of the vibrations. Our cabin neighbors did also, as they were celebrating their 100th cruise.

The first time on the NA wasn't that bad. We were also on the Rotterdam Deck of that cruise. The vibrations were only in the Tamarind.

you know that statement there would have been enough for me.

If you say that you had trouble sleeping that speaks volumes for me.

It was nice of you to provide the links, but honestly, your word is more than enough ;)

I just watched the first video that was posted and I can tell you that the vibration that we experienced on the Eurodam was more intense than that. Like I stated earlier, it was so strong that it was uncomfortable to even stand in the area.

While we were on a tour of the bridge, the Captain of the Eurodam was asked about the vibration. IIRC, his reply was that they were aware of it and they were having trouble finding the source, but they thought it was a gasket on one of the engines.

Yes there is vibration. Yes it a design "flaw" and yes it occurs on both Eurodam and NA. It is intermittent and not predictable.

Will it ruin a cruise? I'd say no but our cabins weren't vibrating like crazy on the ships, we only noticed in the Tamarind (quite bad sometimes!) and lido area.

I wouldn't switch since it can happen on both. And for that matter, vibrations on ships can come and go unexpectedly without rhyme or reason.

Edited by sppunk

Yes there is vibration. Yes it a design "flaw" and yes it occurs on both Eurodam and NA. It is intermittent and not predictable.

Will it ruin a cruise? I'd say no but our cabins weren't vibrating like crazy on the ships, we only noticed in the Tamarind (quite bad sometimes!) and lido area.

I wouldn't switch since it can happen on both. And for that matter, vibrations on ships can come and go unexpectedly without rhyme or reason.

I agree with your thinking. I would not make a switch in booking.

I wouldn't switch. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam three weeks at the end of 2014, and my father in law (a young and handsome 77) was back past the aft elevators on deck 6. He didn't notice any unusual movement, nor did we when we visited him, which was several times a day. We dined in Tamarind multiple times - including over near the window, where people have claimed to see lots of movement. We typically have a fair amount of stemware in play, and if there was a lot of vibration, we'd have noticed it in the Champagne glasses.

My wife grew up in California, so she notices unusual movement. (Earthquake!) I can honestly say that we didn't notice any extreme vibration. I took a fair amount of video, but there's nothing remotely approaching the disco breakfast scramble in the video link. The only video I've uploaded was the melting chocolate bowl from the Pinnacle, and it's steady. I'm not going to upload all our dining videos to prove that we didn't experience severe vibration, so you'll have to take my word for it. Besides, even if I did, someone else can simply say, "Good God man, look at the eggs!" ;)

It's possible that we're not as sensitive to vibration as other people, but we didn't run across anyone during the 3 weeks who mentioned vibration. We heard people complain about loud shows, rough tendering, small protein portions, and of course: temperature. We'd book the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam in a heartbeat, and plan to in 2016.

We sailed Eurodam five cruises and I don't remember experiencing any severe vibration and I would remember had that been the case.

We sailed two cruises on NA but I don't recall vibration on her either. Perhaps this is a relatively new development.

I was on the NA in January 2015. I did not experience vibration. We were in k1116. In fact, I thought the ship was much more stable than Celebrity's Reflection which we cruised on a year ago. That was a big part of our decision to try HAL.