Just returned from May 31-June 6 Summit Bermuda cruise

bumperoo

First, by all reports the Art Mel's in St.Georges has closed.

What day of the week are you in Bermuda? If it' a Saturday or Sunday there hasn't been ferry service to St. George's on weekends for several years.

With all these Saturday and Sunday port calls with mega ships they should rethink the absence of ferry service to St. George on the weekend.

Regarding St. George -

is the 9:30am ferry the first one? Is that the one the town crier is on? I'd really like to do the walking tour of St. George but I'm not sure how to join it.

Thanks for the help! :)

Assuming no change to the schedule the first ferry to St George leaves the Dockyard at 9:30. There are walking tours that leave from the town square visitors center starting at 10:30. About the town crier, I have seen him on the dock in St. George when arriving on the 9:30 ferry but don't recall if he rode the ferry with us. Not sure if he does a tour himself or leads passengers to the visitors center.

Assuming no change to the schedule the first ferry to St George leaves the Dockyard at 9:30. There are walking tours that leave from the town square visitors center starting at 10:30. About the town crier, I have seen him on the dock in St. George when arriving on the 9:30 ferry but don't recall if he rode the ferry with us. Not sure if he does a tour himself or leads passengers to the visitors center.

Okay, that sounds great and helps a lot. Appreciate it!

• 6 months later...

Bumperoo and funinthesun86 - I'm going to Bermuda the same time next year. I'm curious about the weather and the water temperature. You both mentioned swimming. Was it just the bold and brave or did most people swim when you were there? Also, were people just swimming on beaches (thus shallower warmer water) or were people out in open water also?

• 1 month later...
Thanks, Bumperoo! Your posts are so helpful. I will be traveling on the Summit in July with my BFF and our teens (we both have one) She is interested in the caves. How do we get there by public transportation from the ship?

To get to the caves from the Dockyard, board the ferry to Hamilton (20 minute ride). Walk from the ferry terminal in Hamilton to the bus terminal on Church St. Board a route #10 or #11 bus, and as you board, tell the bus driver your destination. You'll be dropped at a stop near the caves.

OR

You take the ferry to St George (45 minute ride). Walk to the bus stop on York St, and board an inbound route #1, #3, #10, or #11 bus, and as you board, tell the bus driver your destination.

If you take a route #1 or #3 bus, you'll be dropped at the access road to the caves. If you take a route #10 or #11 bus, you'll be dropped near (in front of the Swizzle Inn) the caves leaving you a short walk to th caves. See map below:

MapToCavesV2.jpg

SBtS

How was the sea temps? We are booked 5/26/17 Boston to Bermuda and want to swim but heard the water temps are too cold.

That date is on the cusp. It may or may not be to cool. I found the water temperature on the cool side then when I went that week but that is when it starts to warm up. I went in the middle of June this year and the water temp was comfortable. Last year at the same time in June it was okay to swim but it was cooler than this year. There is some variation from year to year. Bermudians consider it to be beach weather after their May 24 holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread - thank you. I don't know if you can answer this, but the hop-oh-hop-off shuttle is new since I've been there. We're sailing next year in Sept and I was wondering since I use a rollator now, would I be able to take the HOHO shuttle? Is there room enough for me to put the rollator next to me? I can manage to get it up and down the stairs (it's a European style and less bulky).

Good thread - thank you. I don't know if you can answer this, but the hop-oh-hop-off shuttle is new since I've been there. We're sailing next year in Sept and I was wondering since I use a rollator now, would I be able to take the HOHO shuttle? Is there room enough for me to put the rollator next to me? I can manage to get it up and down the stairs (it's a European style and less bulky).

The HoHo shuttle in St. George that was mentioned early in this thread was discontinued. It was replaced this past 2016 season by a point to point shuttle. Best to come back to the forum next year around May and June for the latest info on transportation because that is the type of service that changes every year or so. For years there was a point to point shuttle. Then no shuttle a couple of years. Then HoHo. Then a point to point shuttle this year (2016). There is no guarantee there will be a shuttle service of whatever type next September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

How was the sea temps? We are booked 5/26/17 Boston to Bermuda and want to swim but heard the water temps are too cold.

We have been that week several times and found the water fine for swimming. Compared the water in Plymouth it will be warm! We go to the Cape to visit our daughter and the water isn't warm there till August!

• 7 months later...
To get to the caves from the Dockyard, board the ferry to Hamilton (20 minute ride). Walk from the ferry terminal in Hamilton to the bus terminal on Church St. Board a route #10 or #11 bus, and as you board, tell the bus driver your destination. You'll be dropped at a stop near the caves.

OR

You take the ferry to St George (45 minute ride). Walk to the bus stop on York St, and board an inbound route #1, #3, #10, or #11 bus, and as you board, tell the bus driver your destination.

If you take a route #1 or #3 bus, you'll be dropped at the access road to the caves. If you take a route #10 or #11 bus, you'll be dropped near (in front of the Swizzle Inn) the caves leaving you a short walk to th caves. See map below:

MapToCavesV2.jpg

SBtS

Thank you, SailBad! That is very helpful! I just had a knee replacement so I'll hang out at the Swizzle Inn when the rest of our group goes to the caves!

Thank you, SailBad! That is very helpful! I just had a knee replacement so I'll hang out at the Swizzle Inn when the rest of our group goes to the caves!

The grounds the caves are on are very nice and they do have benches you can sit on.

You had an older post. Since I posted that map, I learned of a new, improved pathway that connects Bailey's Ice Cream parking lot with the caves. Here is a satellite photo of the path:

NewPath.jpg

SBtS

Day 2 -- first ferry to St. George's -- guided free tour with former Mayor of St. George's -- Ducking of the Wench -- Ate at Art Mel's Spicey Dicey -- Beach Bus Shuttle to Fort -- toured Fort -- Beach bus back -- stopped at Turtle Beach -- ferry back to ship by 4:30.

Art Mel's in St George's again????You made my day! Are they open again at their St George's location? Please tell me if it is the same one or is it a different one? If it is in a different location, address, how to get there???

Are you referring to Turtle Beach in St David's? If yes, then which bus did yo take there and how did you get back to the ferry. Views on Turtle Beach?

Thanks, we are leaving tomorrow.

P.S. Your day planning is great! We will also do something similar. Thanks for posting this. Shaking my head at how the know it all big beards hijacked your thread! LOL! They have to enforce their 2 cents in on every Bermuda thing! ;) ;) LOL!

Edited by Arzeena

Art Mel's in St George's again????You made my day! Are they open again at their St George's location? Please tell me if it is the same one or is it a different one? If it is in a different location, address, how to get there???

Are you referring to Turtle Beach in St David's? If yes, then which bus did yo take there and how did you get back to the ferry. Views on Turtle Beach?

Thanks, we are leaving tomorrow.

P.S. Your day planning is great! We will also do something similar. Thanks for posting this. Shaking my head at how the know it all big beards hijacked your thread! LOL! They have to enforce their 2 cents in on every Bermuda thing! ;) ;) LOL!

This was an old inactive thread that someone reopened a couple of days ago. The post you quoted was made in June, 2015. Art Mel's in St. George closed when the owner died.

Sorry that once again one of the "big beards" (me) hijacked the thread, but when people reopen old threads which now contain misinformation because what was true years ago isn't necessarily true today, my beard gets itchy and I have to scratch it. I guess I could have let it go, and maybe you would have gone to St. George to eat at Art Mel's only to find it wasn't there. Would you prefer that? Maybe instead of making snide remarks you could try reading the dates of the posts. It's a more effective approach and it prevents me from having to scratch my beard. It works better for everyone that way.

Edited by njhorseman

LOL! The post quoted was made in 2015. Look at the date. So here is my 2 cents. Art Mel's has not opened again in St. George's. LOL!

This was an old inactive thread that someone reopened a couple of days ago. The post you quoted was made in June, 2015. Art Mel's in St. George closed when the owner died.

Sorry that once again one of the "big beards" (me) hijacked the thread, but when people reopen old threads which now contain misinformation because what was true years ago isn't necessarily true today, my beard gets itchy and I have to scratch it. I guess I could have let it go, and maybe you would have gone to St. George to eat at Art Mel's only to find it wasn't there. Would you prefer that? Maybe instead of making snide remarks you could try reading the dates of the posts. It's a more effective approach and it prevents me from having to scratch my beard. It works better for everyone that way.

Time to retire your beard Sir! No body forced you to scratch it and make this public service post. Looks like you have too much time on your hands. Go volunteer!