My thoughts on Sapphire Beach

royal girl

We were on the Oasis back in April... (sorry took so long to post)... I had done a lot of research on where to go while docked in St Thomas and narrowed my choice of a beach to Sapphire Beach. Bad choice.

Out of 5000 passengers on the Oasis... there were only 6 of us (at that time) going to Sapphire. We had to wait about a half hour for a cab that would take us. (The taxi guys had us in a corner while they looked for a cab) Meanwhile, taxi after taxi were filling up heading for Megan's Bay. :confused:

After a long and scary ride :eek: to Sapphire Beach... I thought... this is it? While the water and view are beautiful... the small beach left a lot to be desired. It was crowded, small and nothing really there. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and there are bathrooms and a place to get drinks and I'm not sure about food. But the beach really wasn't what I expected. Oh, and there are people staying in the condos behind the beach and they look at us (cruisers) like we were so beneath them. :rolleyes:

We stayed about 2 hours and got a cab back to the ship.

Later that day we spoke to another couple who went to Megan's Bay and raved about it. If we ever go back to St Thomas, we'll head to Megan's Bay. :cool:

Thanks royal girl for your thoughts on Sapphire Beach, it’s always interesting to hear from someone new and how much they loved or hated it there! I must say though this is the very first time I have ever read a negative review on Sapphire Beach like yours – what a surprise!:confused: I was initially wondering if you were at Coki with the small beach description, and then I thought smaller Secret Harbor when you mentioned the condo…But it sounds like you were at Sapphire and I have just a few comments on your report –

Sapphire is a nice, larger bay with lots of beach to spread out on and not a small beach at all. To the right of the dive center (Dive In) is where the best snorkeling is and it is rockier there of course, and you would have known that from your extensive research you did. But that beach area offers abundant natural shade (I didn’t even know Dive In rented umbrellas because of the abundant natural shade there!). In front of Dive In is a nice, sandy swimming area, and to the left of that is a sea grass area where you may spot sea turtles and rays. So although Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties, there is a lot of room for day visitors, and there are no restrictions on where you can go as with other beaches like SH. Again, you would have known all of this after doing your research.

The owners at the Sapphire Beach Resort are typically very friendly toward day visitors and will often direct you to the best snorkeling spots or where the Banana Cabana is if you don’t want to wait for a runner taking multiple food and drink orders. We often rent at Sapphire Resort and have never seen day visitors scorned or looked down upon by owners or guests. Many of us were actually introduced to the beautiful islands by cruising before taking land vacations. So I'm really very surprised to read your comments on that and I'm thinking perhaps you weren't being that friendly yourselves? We try our best to be friendly toward locals and owners when visiting their backyards.

Regarding food, the Banana Cabana and Sapphire Village Restaurant have runners taking orders on the beach, and Dive In sells beer and rum punches cheaper than BC. There's also a food truck with great food at the entrance to the property. This is easily found by reviewing other threads here.

The ride to Sapphire is not that bad, certainly nothing to be concerned with. Magens Bay is a nice beach too but is where most of the day visitors will go and so it’s a crowded, busy beach. If you prefer being with everyone else on your ship Magens is your beach! You can walk to one end that is quieter but there are no amenities there of course. And I'm sure you knew that based on your research. Sapphire just exudes more character in our humble opinion and so we will go there and recommend that to others.

But thanks for your report, and sorry to pick on you about your research. Just want to assure others your opinion is quite different from most, but that's what this forum is all about :)

I have never seen or heard of any umbrella rentals at Sapphire. Occasionally a day visitor will come with an umbrella but they don't stay up long as they are not needed and the trade winds blow them around.

Sapphire is not a BIG beach if you compare it to a Florida beach but it is good size by island standards. Most of the people I talk with much prefer Sapphire to Magens but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Because everyone we've met who has visited Sapphire fell in love with Sapphire this report really floored me. And the mention of umbrellas and condos made me think we were at Secret Harbor rather than Sapphire...

But it's not for everyone...

Well, Blue Water has sold me. What's the best way to get there from the cruise dock? We're on Carnival Splendor next week, and are a family of 5.

Alternatively, one thing we did a couple of years ago in Cabo was head out on a boat (big enough to fit 20 or so people. They docked the boat off the shore of an island and we were able to swim right off the boat (even jump in off the roof). Do you know of any company that offers something like that in St. Thomas?

Thanks

(sorry to get a bit off topic)

Todd - San Diego

Just got back from a stop in st Thomas and went to sapphire beach. Me and my wife loved it there. The beach had plenty of room. Found the people staying a the resort to be very nice. We are thinking of staying there a few days we liked it so much.

Well, Blue Water has sold me. What's the best way to get there from the cruise dock? We're on Carnival Splendor next week, and are a family of 5.

Alternatively, one thing we did a couple of years ago in Cabo was head out on a boat (big enough to fit 20 or so people. They docked the boat off the shore of an island and we were able to swim right off the boat (even jump in off the roof). Do you know of any company that offers something like that in St. Thomas?

Thanks

(sorry to get a bit off topic)

Todd - San Diego

Todd there are several daysails that moor off STJ or STT for snorkeling. We enjoyed New Horizons out if Sapphire Marina, they moor off Honeymoon Beach in Caneel Bay, STJ and often dingy you in to the beach if you want that. There are also operators with smaller motorboats who will take you to different locations of your choosing. You'll find these listed under charters/daysails on Vinow dot com.

Best way to get to Sapphire or any other beach is by just hopping a safari-type taxi at the dock, $20pp round trip.

Just got back from a stop in st Thomas and went to sapphire beach. Me and my wife loved it there. The beach had plenty of room. Found the people staying a the resort to be very nice. We are thinking of staying there a few days we liked it so much.

Yes we love renting there, and the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is the condo property that's closest to the water. If you look at renting be sure to rent through the owner so you know what you are getting as some units are nicer. VRBO dot com is a great resource, and we have owners we can recommend renting from.

todd there are several daysails that moor off stj or stt for snorkeling. We enjoyed new horizons out if sapphire marina, they moor off honeymoon beach in caneel bay, stj and often dingy you in to the beach if you want that. There are also operators with smaller motorboats who will take you to different locations of your choosing. You'll find these listed under charters/daysails on vinow dot com.

best way to get to sapphire or any other beach is by just hopping a safari-type taxi at the dock, $20pp round trip.

probably a silly question but we want to make sure our whole party stays together, will we have a problem getting a taxi for 9 people to Sapphire?

Ok... we're sold too. We will be sailing on Freedom in August and will be visiting St. Thomas for the first time. I think Sapphire Beach sounds perfect for my family. We have in our group. We love to snorkel, swim, get some sun, sit in the shade and read, etc.

Couple of questions:

1 - Can we use the swimming pool too?

2 - Safari type taxi??? Where do we pick this up at?

3 - How much is getting a taxi at the port?

4 - What would you estimate the travel time to Sapphire is? Any particular time of day where traffic is worse than others.

Thanks!!!

See below -

Ok... we're sold too. We will be sailing on Freedom in August and will be visiting St. Thomas for the first time. I think Sapphire Beach sounds perfect for my family. We have in our group. We love to snorkel, swim, get some sun, sit in the shade and read, etc.

Couple of questions:

1 - Can we use the swimming pool too?

The pool is for condo guests only.

2 - Safari type taxi??? Where do we pick this up at?

The taxis are the primary mode of transport and there will be several at the dock heading to different areas, just look for one heading toward Sapphire. A taxi coordinator may also be present to guide you.

3 - How much is getting a taxi at the port?

$10pp each way from Havensight, a little more from Crown Bay.

4 - What would you estimate the travel time to Sapphire is? Any particular time of day where traffic is worse than others.

20 - 25 min to Sapphire, there will be more congestion on the return so just allow more time. There will be taxis stopping in Sapphire and some folks ask for their driver to return but that's not necessary.

Thanks!!!

Edited by blue_water

[/b]

[/b][/b]

probably a silly question but we want to make sure our whole party stays together, will we have a problem getting a taxi for 9 people to Sapphire?

You should be able to stay together but depending on your timing you may get there faster if you're willing to split into groups. But the taxi coordinator should be able to help.

I always wanted to try Sapohire Beach but we tried Coki Beach many years ago and my family loved it to the point where they wont allow us to go to any over beach but Coki. Been there 5 times already and going again in December.

Coki is a gorgeous beach for sure. When we stay on Sapphire we will visit other beaches on day trips (mainly Lindqvist, Lindbergh, and Hull Bay), and I like to visit Coki. My wife isn't as much a lover of Coki when it is busy, but Coki can be a nice, intimate beach after hours :D

Edited by blue_water
Typos!

Sapphire is low-key, which is why we loved it. However, if when you think 'beach' you see Clearwater or South Beach in your mind, you'll not be happy on St. Thomas.

The only negative I've experienced on Sapphire is the dead coral close in by the beach.... many many swimmers have obviously stood on it. :-(

Nobody mentioned the iguanas! We loved lounging under the trees watching the big lizards.

We went to Sapphire Beach in April and we loved it! There were 4 of us & we got a cab right away. Our driver was very nice & we set up a time for him to come back for us (which he did--no problem). We rented chairs & didn't need umbrellas. Mostly we sat under the trees & then pulled our chairs back into the sun when we wanted to "sun" ourselves. The people we met were very nice. A really sweet lady checked on us frequently to see if we needed food or drinks. Several "locals" chatted with us. The snorkeling was good & we were able to just walk right in to a snorkeling area. The scenery was beautiful (even the iguana) & we could certainly understand why it was named Sapphire! We've been to Megan's before & it certainly is beautiful but it was much more crowded than Sapphire when we were there. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but we would definitely go back to Sapphire Beach :)

IMG_0049.jpg.350da23937fadd6f2006bd41365e73f8.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg.3c773583a75f8cad5f48b713d0939e81.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg.2741695b4c5b1b839c5ea362a2f4508f.jpg

Edited by PurrSusan

Sapphire is low-key, which is why we loved it. However, if when you think 'beach' you see Clearwater or South Beach in your mind, you'll not be happy on St. Thomas.

We've been to Clearwater, South Beach, Fort Myers, the east coast and Key West beaches and I have to say I have not see a beach in FL that compares to the Caribbean, including St Thomas. Sapphire has a lot of character compared to the typical US beach (along with the beautiful colors and island views).

Unfortunately there is some coral damage closer to shore due to misuse by novice snorkelers, and as a result the owners are constantly urging ignorant day visitors not to stand on the coral. But the reef is vibrant and the sea grass area can be a great spot to find sea turtles and rays.

• 1 month later...
We've been to Clearwater, South Beach, Fort Myers, the east coast and Key West beaches and I have to say I have not see a beach in FL that compares to the Caribbean, including St Thomas. Sapphire has a lot of character compared to the typical US beach (along with the beautiful colors and island views).

Unfortunately there is some coral damage closer to shore due to misuse by novice snorkelers, and as a result the owners are constantly urging ignorant day visitors not to stand on the coral. But the reef is vibrant and the sea grass area can be a great spot to find sea turtles and rays.

Thanks royal girl for your thoughts on Sapphire Beach, it’s always interesting to hear from someone new and how much they loved or hated it there! I must say though this is the very first time I have ever read a negative review on Sapphire Beach like yours – what a surprise!:confused: I was initially wondering if you were at Coki with the small beach description, and then I thought smaller Secret Harbor when you mentioned the condo…But it sounds like you were at Sapphire and I have just a few comments on your report –

Sapphire is a nice, larger bay with lots of beach to spread out on and not a small beach at all. To the right of the dive center (Dive In) is where the best snorkeling is and it is rockier there of course, and you would have known that from your extensive research you did. But that beach area offers abundant natural shade (I didn’t even know Dive In rented umbrellas because of the abundant natural shade there!). In front of Dive In is a nice, sandy swimming area, and to the left of that is a sea grass area where you may spot sea turtles and rays. So although Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties, there is a lot of room for day visitors, and there are no restrictions on where you can go as with other beaches like SH. Again, you would have known all of this after doing your research.

The owners at the Sapphire Beach Resort are typically very friendly toward day visitors and will often direct you to the best snorkeling spots or where the Banana Cabana is if you don’t want to wait for a runner taking multiple food and drink orders. We often rent at Sapphire Resort and have never seen day visitors scorned or looked down upon by owners or guests. Many of us were actually introduced to the beautiful islands by cruising before taking land vacations. So I'm really very surprised to read your comments on that and I'm thinking perhaps you weren't being that friendly yourselves? We try our best to be friendly toward locals and owners when visiting their backyards.

Regarding food, the Banana Cabana and Sapphire Village Restaurant have runners taking orders on the beach, and Dive In sells beer and rum punches cheaper than BC. There's also a food truck with great food at the entrance to the property. This is easily found by reviewing other threads here.

The ride to Sapphire is not that bad, certainly nothing to be concerned with. Magens Bay is a nice beach too but is where most of the day visitors will go and so it’s a crowded, busy beach. If you prefer being with everyone else on your ship Magens is your beach! You can walk to one end that is quieter but there are no amenities there of course. And I'm sure you knew that based on your research. Sapphire just exudes more character in our humble opinion and so we will go there and recommend that to others.

But thanks for your report, and sorry to pick on you about your research. Just want to assure others your opinion is quite different from most, but that's what this forum is all about :)

Great response Blue Water. You've sold me. Since you seem like the expert, I'm wondering if you can clear something up. It seems that some report that the Dive In is closed. Others say it is open. Do you know for sure? We need snorkel rental gear and will get it near the port. But obviously, renting on Sapphire would be easiest. Also, since we will be renting a car, is there public parking?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Beckertime,

I'm not an expert, just a fan of Sapphire and I sometimes get carried away obviously!

Yes Dive In is open and you can rent many items there. They had closed for a short time but have re-opened along with the restrooms.

The city bus will take you to Saphire Beach for $2 each.

"City bus" s a little misleading, these are not buses you see in other areas but are similar to the safari taxis on STT. They make a loop around the East End for $2pp and you hop off at your destination. They're used mainly by locals and are often full. So you must often wait for one, and you also have to walk to meet it at both ends as well as walk from the main road where you're dropped to your destination. It's a cheaper alternative to the taxi and works for Sapphire since that is walkable from the road. But it can also waste precious time for someone with just hours to spend on the island.