Reliable Barcelona Car Service...Airport to Hotel Transfer

2Canucks

Hi, has anyone contacted Juan with success recently? We used this service last year and it was great, so planning to use again this year. I emailed directly earlier this month but have had no reply at all. It's very unlike the service we had last year so wasn't sure if details had changed or even if they were still in business. As someone else pointed out, the website is close to unusable for a non-Spanish speaker.

I emailed royalroadbarcelona yesterday and had a reply from one of the reps within a few hours. She is working on a tour with sites I requested, picking us up at port and dropping us at hotel after the tour.

It wasn't Juan who replied although he'd originally been my contact.

I emailed royalroadbarcelona yesterday and had a reply from one of the reps within a few hours. She is working on a tour with sites I requested, picking us up at port and dropping us at hotel after the tour.

It wasn't Juan who replied although he'd originally been my contact.

I've gotten one or more emails each day from the rep tweaking my tour as I've added requests or subtracted some of her suggestions. As it stands now a car will pick us up at the port, take us to the five sites I've requested, with either time for photos or interior visits, and will drop us at our hotel. I've really been impressed by the time she's spent helping me work out a personalized tour.

Hi, has anyone contacted Juan with success recently? We used this service last year and it was great, so planning to use again this year. I emailed directly earlier this month but have had no reply at all. It's very unlike the service we had last year so wasn't sure if details had changed or even if they were still in business. As someone else pointed out, the website is close to unusable for a non-Spanish speaker.

Just an update to provide some reassurance if anyone is considering using royalroadbarcelona. It turns out my emails were going to their junk mail filter for some reason. Now that's fixed, they've been responding quickly as was my previous experience with them and I have just confirmed my booking with them for this summer.

You might have gotten an email this week from Juan to let you know he is no longer working at RoyalRoadBarcelona.

But the rep I have been working with is excellent and prompt. We have now worked out a Barcelona tour in May starting at the port and ending later at our hotel.

Edited by NMLady

You might have gotten an email this week from Juan to let you know he is no longer working at RoyalRoadBarcelona.

But the rep I have been working with is excellent and prompt. We have now worked out a Barcelona tour in May starting at the port and ending later at our hotel.

Yes I received that email this week. Looks like Juan has left the company and taken the contacts database with him! I've chosen to stick with RoyalRoad as they have already confirmed the transfer for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes I received that email this week. Looks like Juan has left the company and taken the contacts database with him! I've chosen to stick with RoyalRoad as they have already confirmed the transfer for me.

We used RoyalRoadBarcelona this past Monday for a private tour that I'd organized via email. Pick up from port, visited sites we'd agreed on, including 90 minutes to see interior of La Sagrada Familia, taken to hotel. Driver went to reception and got porter for us! The entire tour day was outstanding. We'll use them again in October when we return to Barcelona.

Their new site now has English.

http://www.royalroadbarcelona.com/en/

Sorry I can't answer the question, but is there a particular reason you don't want to use a taxi? They are plentiful outside the airport, just have your hotel name and address written out.

Gotten on and off ships in Barcelona, flown in as well about 6 times I would guess in last 15 years. Never felt need to order private car service, we don't have any mobility issues.

I do second writing out the name and address of the hotel. I have found this makes it easier for the taxi driver.. and now days if a taxi has "GPS " having the exact address is useful, learned this in Paris earlier this year - I had noted cross streets, since I just wanted to take a taxi to an area... some taxi drivers only used GPS. Then I got out my Paris street map and pointed where I wanted to go, LOL Wonders of technology.

We are going again to Barcelona in 2017... great city.

• 3 months later...

An update on my experience with RoyalRoad for a transfer between the port and airport. I had this booked sometime ago for last Sunday, 8:30am pick up and received a confirmation email.

At 8:35 there's no sign of the car so I called and was told that they were at the wrong terminal, would be there in a couple of minutes - Harmony was using two terminals for offboarding so this seemed reasonable.

10 minutes later (8:45), no car so another call. Now told the driver had a problem on the way to the port and another car was on the way and would be there in a few minutes. I told them we must be at the airport for 9:15.

9:00 am still no car, so we jumped in a taxi (no queue by this time) and got to the airport at 9:20. On the way, 9:09 I received a text confirming that a driver was now on the way!

In summary, no service delivered. We will not be using RoyalRoad again and suggest others stay away. In future we'll stick to taxis.

For info:

Private transfers are NOT the norm here. We have an excellent public transportation network -which includes taxi services- which is safe, clean, cheap and convenient, hence the reason private transfer companies are scarce and normally of very reduced size. Also note, contrary to what happens in other countries beyond Europe, most of our hotels (regardless of their category) rely on taxi services, not on private transfers.

For info:

Private transfers are NOT the norm here. We have an excellent public transportation network -which includes taxi services- which is safe, clean, cheap and convenient, hence the reason private transfer companies are scarce and normally of very reduced size. Also note, contrary to what happens in other countries beyond Europe, most of our hotels (regardless of their category) rely on taxi services, not on private transfers.

We will be going to an apartment, not a hotel. We have printed out the address of the apartment on business cards to give to the taxi driver. The apartment is not far from Las Ramblas. Should that be sufficient for directions?

Also, I understand that credit cards are accepted by the taxi drivers for payment. I am just looking for confirmation on that. Thank you.:cool:

Yes it should, but again, it depends on the taxi driver. As in any major city, you have all sorts (locals and foreigns alike, newbies and experienced, etc). Note thought that in both areas (left and right of Les Rambles) there are some small streets in which a car is not allowed so depending on the address you might be dropped off a few metres away.

As per ccards, you already asked this, didn't you? :))... the answer remains: most taxis accept ccards but generally VISA or Mastercard. Other cards might or might not be accepted.

For info:

Hi Enric, Can I ask you a couple of quick questions?

We will be arriving into BCN late, flight arrives at 23.30, four of us each with a big suitcase. Will we still be OK for taxis at that time?

Also, we are going to be there the weekend of the big festival. Do you think that might make it more difficult to get a taxi from hotel to port on the Sunday morning?

Thanks very much. :)

Hi Fiona... of course you can! :)

Taxis are available 24/7. You can either pre-book one, grab one in any taxi rank or simply hail any passing taxi with the green pilot on.

Yet 23:30 isn't that late, I mean if it's a weekday most people are already home, but "not in bed" if you catch my drift. If on a weekend, you'll find plenty of people out and about. We Catalans are a very outgoing society.

Also, know that there are other means of transportation to/from the airport: bus, Aerobus, train, metro and taxi during the day (5am-1am), and bus and taxi at night (1am-5am). However, being four of you with luggage, I would stick to taxi, it's far cozier and not expensive.

What "big festival" would that be? We have quite a few along the year. In any case, the answer is "no", you are unlikely to have any trouble getting a taxi... there are 13000 of them just in Barcelona! Yet, just ask the hotel to call you a taxi for such day at such hour and then you won't have to worry.

Hi Fiona... of course you can! :)

Taxis are available 24/7. You can either pre-book one, grab one in any taxi rank or simply hail any passing taxi with the green pilot on.

Yet 23:30 isn't that late, I mean if it's a weekday most people are already home, but "not in bed" if you catch my drift. If on a weekend, you'll find plenty of people out and about. We Catalans are a very outgoing society.

Also, know that there are other means of transportation to/from the airport: bus, Aerobus, train, metro and taxi during the day (5am-1am), and bus and taxi at night (1am-5am). However, being four of you with luggage, I would stick to taxi, it's far cozier and not expensive.

What "big festival" would that be? We have quite a few along the year. In any case, the answer is "no", you are unlikely to have any trouble getting a taxi... there are 13000 of them just in Barcelona! Yet, just ask the hotel to call you a taxi for such day at such hour and then you won't have to worry.

Thanks for this Enric, greatly appreciate your help.

It's the La Mercè. We only found out about it after we had booked our trip so we are looking forward to the experience. :)

Ah ok... about La Mercè then...

LA MERCÈ

La Mercè is one of the biggest festivals in Europe -nearly 1.8 million locals and tourists alike participated in la Mercè events in 2015- and attending La Mercè means experiencing Barcelona in its most entertaining state. The city feels like one endless street festival at this end-of-summer bash that provides non-stop entertainment for four days, from exhibitions to concerts to displays of Catalan heritage and traditions to fireworks and everything in between... more than 600 events spread throughout the squares, streets, museums, and parks. Note however that Barcelona is a big cosmopolitan city quite used to host many big events at the same time during the year so neither les Festes de la Mercè nor any other event ever 'clogs' the city life. While certain streets/sites at certain times might attract a large crowds and might affect traffic for a while, elsewhere life goes on and businesses, museums, attractions, shops, etc function as usual.

There is no booking to be done, no tickets whatsoever... all the events at La Mercè are all free. The program is not published until a few weeks before, so keep checking the official website here: http://lameva.barcelona.cat/merce/en

The Origins of this “Festa Major” (or Major Festival)

Barcelona’s principal festival is dedicated to its co-patron saint, the Virgin of Mercy. Nostra Senyora de la Mercè is given credit for ridding this Mediterranean city of locusts in 1687 and, then, when she was appointed commander in chief of Barcelona’s military during invasion of Catalonia by the Spanish and French troops during the War of the Spanish Succession in 1714, when the fortunes of this small nation turned around overnight. Between La Mercè 2013 and 2014, Barcelona remembered 300 years since the milestone event of the city’s modern history. Each day of the festival is commemorated with its own parade filled with mythical characters, dancing giants and traditional drumming. While La Mercè has been an institution in Barcelona since the Middle Ages, it wasn’t until 1871 that it became an official city holiday.

Giants, Devils, and Human Towers

Each day of the festival is commemorated with its own parade filled with mythical characters, dancing giants and traditional drumming. No Barcelona festival would be complete without fire runners (correfocs) and human castles rising ten stories high (castellers). I promise that you’ll curse yourself if you forget your camera. There's a photogenic spectacle around every corner, from folk dancing (sardana) to parades of giant papier-mâché characters (gegants). While La Mercè has a long history, some of its most prominent components are just over a century old. The best way to think of this is that Les Festes de la Mercè combines the best of what you might see at any spectacular festival. The best thing about this festival is that all of the street events are free, as well as a multitude of museums that open their doors and provide free visits, so it’s a perfect place to bring a group of friends or a large family. Worth mentioning the final fireworks on the last night, the impressive Pyromusical de la Mercè, celebrated at Avinguda Maria Cristina, in the west of the city.

A Reflection of Barcelona

Barcelona, capital city of Catalonia, is an artistic and robust stage for experiencing design, food, and life, but this particular festival will have you wondering why you’ve never moved here. La Mercè is a reflection of the enterprising, creative, and inventive Catalan culture which is in a constant state of evolution. But, Barcelona doesn’t do it alone as each year she invites a guest city each year (in 2015, it was Buenos Aires and this year is Paris) to bring their favorite dance and street theater companies to this festival of festivals. Because Europe already woke up some decades ago to the fact that Barcelona isn’t just a paradise in August, you’ll see an increasingly international flavor of who comes to visit this festival each year.

A brief peek to the festival.

IMPORTANT: the dates vary each year, but are normally Thu to Sun. Check schedules a few weeks in advance a the official website for the program.

Enjoy!

Edited by EnricM

Hi, Enric -

Thanks for all the great transportation info you've provided. A couple of questions - about how much would you expect a taxi from BCN to our hotel for 2 people to be? We're at the Hotel Murmuri, address is Rambla de Catalunya, 104, 08010 Barcelona.

And also, you mention pre-booking one - how would we do that and is it really necessary around 9:30 on a Thursday morning? Would pre-booking allow us to by-pass any lines?

Gracias!

Barbara

Hi Barb,

"BCN"... I guess you mean the airport, El Prat de Llobregat, right? In that case, I'd say 35-40€ in normal fare (week-days, 8am-8pm), including supplements... yet traffic can be a variable here so if arriving at rush hour it can be a bit more. If you're arriving in a different time-band, fares are 20 to 40% more expensive (ie. festive days or bank holidays from 8pm to 8am).

For a 9:30 taxi you don't need to pre-book. Either ask Murmuri to call one for you, or simply walk to the taxi rank, a few yards from there, and catch the first available. In general getting a taxi in Barcelona is fairly easy and doesn't require 'waiting for too long' -with exceptions of course!

... if you're the Barbara I believe you are, you'll be getting an email from me later in response to a bunch of yours earlier last week. Sorry for the delay, been quite busy :)

Edited by EnricM

Hi Barb,

"BCN"... I guess you mean the airport, El Prat de Llobregat, right? In that case, I'd say 35-40€ in normal fare (week-days, 8am-8pm), including supplements... yet traffic can be a variable here so if arriving at rush hour it can be a bit more. If you're arriving in a different time-band, fares are 20 to 40% more expensive (ie. festive days or bank holidays from 8pm to 8am).

For a 9:30 taxi you don't need to pre-book. Either ask Murmuri to call one for you, or simply walk to the taxi rank, a few yards from there, and catch the first available. In general getting a taxi in Barcelona is fairly easy and doesn't require 'waiting for too long' -with exceptions of course!

... if you're the Barbara I believe you are, you'll be getting an email from me later in response to a bunch of yours earlier last week. Sorry for the delay, been quite busy :)

Yes, BCN = Barcelona airport. So we'll get the taxi at the airport and go to the hotel - therefore, assume there's an easy-to-find taxi rank at the airport when we get through customs?

Are the taxis metered, or a fixed rate, or can we negotiate a price before we get in?

Thanks again.

PS - no, not the same Barbara.

Yes, taxi ranks are just outside the terminals. You'll see them right away.

Taxis are metered. No negotiation. Official fares for 2016: http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifestaxi2016/13e8e279-5712-426e-8dce-da5f8dd6dc7b Note there are supplements that are added at the end of the fare (ie. airport exit, suitcase...). Fares are regulated, that is, all taxis have the same.

PS. Yeah, different Barbara it seems, yet also staying at the same hotel, hence the confusion, sorry!

• 1 month later...
Good to hear the taxis are reliable in Barcelona (unlike Madrid??? :D )

We will be visiting next year.

We have always used taxis at the port, airport and hotels in Barcelona without any significant problems... been to Barcelona about 5 times in past 10 years, going again in 2017.

The only tip I would give you is make sure you have the name and address of the hotel clearly written ... this avoids misunderstandings.

On a recent trip to Paris, found taxi drivers using GPS exclusively, so need to have a specific street address to help the taxi driver. In the past I simply told a driver cross streets. Technology changes things smile.

So I will probably make sure I have the hotel name and street address written to give the driver.

• 1 year later...
Maybe, like us, they prefer to have a car waiting for them at the airport and not have to queue for a taxi.

My husband has mobility issues and it is much better for him to have a driver waiting for us as we come through arrivals. The driver then takes our bags and, together with my husbands walker, puts them in the waiting car.

We don't mind paying a bit extra for this more personal service.

Maybe we should do this in September. My husband uses a scooter to get around (one that folds), and we also bring his rolling walker. Because of that, I only bring one large suitcase for the two of us, since I have to carry his walker as well. I'll have to see if he wants to spend the extra money to have someone greeting us at arrivals.

Jane