A hotel close to Cape Liberty/Bayonne

cocacola86

I think we will come this way-- here is a portion of directions:

Merge onto I-81 N toward Harrisburg.

Keep left to take I-81 N toward I-78/Hazleton/Allentown.

Keep right to take I-78 E via EXIT 89 toward Allentown.

Keep left to take I-78 E toward New Jersey (Crossing into New Jersey).

Keep left to take I-78 (EXPRESS) E toward I-95/Holland Tunnel/New York City (Portions toll).

I-78 (EXPRESS) E becomes I-78 E (Portions toll).

Take EXIT 14A toward Bayonne.

Merge onto Avenue E (Portions toll).

Turn left onto E 40th St.

E 40th St is just past E 41st St

SAM AND JACKS SHELL is on the left

If you reach E 39th St you've gone a little too far

Turn right to stay on E 40th St.

Turn left onto Goldsborough Dr.

Turn slight left onto Port Terminal Blvd.

1.3 mi

14 PORT TERMINAL BLVD.

If you reach Bayonne Cruise Ship Rd you've gone a little too far

I think we will come this way-- here is a portion of directions:

Merge onto I-81 N toward Harrisburg.

Keep left to take I-81 N toward I-78/Hazleton/Allentown.

Keep right to take I-78 E via EXIT 89 toward Allentown.

Keep left to take I-78 E toward New Jersey (Crossing into New Jersey).

Keep left to take I-78 (EXPRESS) E toward I-95/Holland Tunnel/New York City (Portions toll).

I-78 (EXPRESS) E becomes I-78 E (Portions toll).

Take EXIT 14A toward Bayonne.

Merge onto Avenue E (Portions toll).

Turn left onto E 40th St.

E 40th St is just past E 41st St

SAM AND JACKS SHELL is on the left

If you reach E 39th St you've gone a little too far

Turn right to stay on E 40th St.

Turn left onto Goldsborough Dr.

Turn slight left onto Port Terminal Blvd.

1.3 mi

14 PORT TERMINAL BLVD.

If you reach Bayonne Cruise Ship Rd you've gone a little too far

The Newark/Bayonne area is a highly industrialized congested urban area. It's not a vacation destination. That's why we often recommend that folks driving in from the south and west and Canada stay in a nice suburban area within an hour of the port. From PA the area can be reached from the PA Turnpike, I78 and I80. After a long drive from Ohio or PA, you will want to get off the road in an area that has hotels, restaurants, and stores and comfortable surroundings.

Not a big fan of these directions from exit 14A. Here are the directions (with video link) that I post all the time on the East Coast Board. No reason to tour the local Bayonne streets.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Edited by 138east

I always found it weird how people always think that different parts of newark and jersey city are ok and some parts are not. people always say like ok ironbound is pretty safe but dont go anywhere else. I just dont get it. Its newark. Its not safe. Its jersey city. Its note safe. Your percentage of getting robbed, shot, car jacked etc are just the same in one part of the town then the next. Theres a reason why people dont want to live there. Idk just the way i fell i guess.

I lived in Newport for 4 years and worked by Exchange Place and never once felt unsafe. I'd recommend one of the hotels in either area (though they might be overpriced- those areas think they can charge Manhattan prices now). Both areas are quite nice in fact.

The Newark/Bayonne area is a highly industrialized congested urban area. It's not a vacation destination. That's why we often recommend that folks driving in from the south and west and Canada stay in a nice suburban area within an hour of the port. From PA the area can be reached from the PA Turnpike, I78 and I80. After a long drive from Ohio or PA, you will want to get off the road in an area that has hotels, restaurants, and stores and comfortable surroundings.

Not a big fan of these directions from exit 14A. Here are the directions (with video link) that I post all the time on the East Coast Board. No reason to tour the local Bayonne streets.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Thank you for the directions! Any thoughts on how far out to stay in order to avoid morning rush hour traffic?

What date is your cruise?

The high level plan would be to drive to the Parsipanny, NJ area, book a hotel in that area (Hotwire often has good deals), and drive and park at the port the following day. The Parsipanny area would offer a variety iof services that you would not have at Newark Airport. You would also minimize your driving in tge traffic and congestion of the airport area.

Im originally from the Parsippany area - still live in NJ - have cruised out of Bayonne many many times - why would you say that?

So would you recommend this area for hotel or Elizabeth area? Thanks.

Which area - Parsippany?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. Yes, its a safe area but you need a car to go out anywhere once your settled in.

Cant imagine why you would want to be that far from the port.

Having never had to use a hotel for Cape Liberty since I live locally and just drive in the morning of the cruise and park in the cruise lot, I would say if I had to get a room overnight it would either be at the airport (Marriott) or the outskirts. You aren't going to be going out and about from there unless you decide to drive into Newark for some Portuguese food.

Have heard a lot of people on here use the Hilton Garden in Staten Island I believe with the shuttle service but having had no experience with that I can't say.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of hyperventilating here. I'm sailing on Liberty in the fall. I was going to fly in from Florida the morning of the cruise, but the flight has already cancelled. Now I'm exploring options to fly in the night before and stay over near the airport. I'm really nervous about that area in general. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice, clean hotel close to the airport (SAFE) that would also provide a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port the next morning?

Thank you, thank you for any advice.

I'm kind of hyperventilating here. I'm sailing on Liberty in the fall. I was going to fly in from Florida the morning of the cruise, but the flight has already cancelled. Now I'm exploring options to fly in the night before and stay over near the airport. I'm really nervous about that area in general. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice, clean hotel close to the airport (SAFE) that would also provide a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port the next morning?

Thank you, thank you for any advice.

Relax. What is your exact date? How many people? Budget? All the airport hotels have free shuttles, but you have to take your luggage on the free Airtrain to the P4 station to get the shuttles.

You are going to have to pay for a shuttle or car service from the hotel to the port one way or another. Let's find you a hotel first.

Edited by 138east

Okay. I'm breathing :)

I'm trying to fly in to Newark on September 23rd. I'm always on somewhat of a budget... Champagne taste... Lol.

Oh. Two people. My adult son us traveling with me.

Is it a hassle getting from baggage claim to where we'll meet the shuttle?

Okay. I'll stop asking questions... For now :)

Thank you unusual :)

...Is it a hassle getting from baggage claim to where we'll meet the shuttle?...

Not a hassle at all. There may be an elevator or two you have to use, but the path is clearly marked. Should not be a problem if you have rolling luggage.

Okay. I'm breathing :)

I'm trying to fly in to Newark on September 23rd. I'm always on somewhat of a budget... Champagne taste... Lol.

Oh. Two people. My adult son us traveling with me.

Is it a hassle getting from baggage claim to where we'll meet the shuttle?

Okay. I'll stop asking questions... For now :)

Thank you unusual :)

Budget guidance would be helpful. How many beds?

Not a hassle at all. There may be an elevator or two you have to use, but the path is clearly marked. Should not be a problem if you have rolling luggage.

Yes, we do have rolling luggage...several pieces :)

Relax. What is your exact date? How many people? Budget? All the airport hotels have free shuttles, but you have to take your luggage on the free Airtrain to the P4 station to get the shuttles.

You are going to have to pay for a shuttle or car service from the hotel to the port one way or another. Let's find you a hotel first.

Oh!!! I see you're from the Boston area. That's one of the ports on the New England cruise I'm going on. I grew up in NY but have never been to New England. Do you have any recommendations for really good lobster rolls, fried clams, etc., near the cruise port? My 29-year-old son and I are obsessed with seafood :)

Country Inns, Elizabeth, NJ - on their web site $272.52 tax included with round trip port transportation ($70 value). 2 queen beds.

Same hotel on kayak is $185 tax included prepay. You can call and buy the port transfer separately.

Park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza -$208 tax included. Round trip port transportation included. No breakfast, but hotel has cafe, restaurant, and popular Teddy's sports bar. Even though you don't have a car, this is a great deal and is popular with cruisers. We recommend it all the time. Can choose 2 double beds. Cancellation by 12 noon one day prior to arrival.