A hotel close to Cape Liberty/Bayonne

cocacola86

Country Inns, Elizabeth, NJ - on their web site $272.52 tax included with round trip port transportation ($70 value). 2 queen beds.

Same hotel on kayak is $185 tax included prepay. You can call and buy the port transfer separately.

Park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza -$208 tax included. Round trip port transportation included. No breakfast, but hotel has cafe, restaurant, and popular Teddy's sports bar. Even though you don't have a car, this is a great deal and is popular with cruisers. We recommend it all the time. Can choose 2 double beds. Cancellation by 12 noon one day prior to arrival.

Hi, Carol,

Thank you so much for the info. I'm making notes.

Country Inns, Elizabeth, NJ - on their web site $272.52 tax included with round trip port transportation ($70 value). 2 queen beds.

Same hotel on kayak is $185 tax included prepay. You can call and buy the port transfer separately.

Park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza -$208 tax included. Round trip port transportation included. No breakfast, but hotel has cafe, restaurant, and popular Teddy's sports bar. Even though you don't have a car, this is a great deal and is popular with cruisers. We recommend it all the time. Can choose 2 double beds. Cancellation by 12 noon one day prior to arrival.

Carol,

If I end up in Elizabeth, I was also looking at Embassy Suites. That includes breakfast and a Happy Hour. By the time I get to NJ, I'm really going to NEED the Happy Hour. Just kidding. Sort of :)

Embassy Suites is fine - you can get that on Trinity for $195 tax included, but your going to have to pay about $130 for round trip port transportation. You can buy a lot of drinks at Teddy's and breakfast and still save money.

Embassy Suites is fine - you can get that on Trinity for $195 tax included, but your going to have to pay about $130 for round trip port transportation. You can buy a lot of drinks at Teddy's and breakfast and still save money.

Wow, that's true! I'm definitely trying to save money on the hotel and transportation. I would rather "invest" it on Liberty of the Seas :)

The key is the cost of the transportation, which has risen a lot in the past year. You used to be able to get a shared shuttle back to the airport for $16. That price went to $28.50 plus tolls a few months ago. If you don't have a car, there are very few hotels that we recommend that offer a transportation package.

In January I stayed in a downtown Newark hotel just so I could take PATH and the light rail to Bayonne. I was going to take a local cab into the port, but one of my friends came by in her car service and picked me up at the light rail station. We returned in a snowstorm and the taxi dispatching was a disaster at Cape Liberty. I was able to piggyback onto someone's ride to Jersey City, but most folks were left standing there in the snow. Tempers were short and many nasty words. Ugly situation.

The key is the cost of the transportation, which has risen a lot in the past year. You used to be able to get a shared shuttle back to the airport for $16. That price went to $28.50 plus tolls a few months ago. If you don't have a car, there are very few hotels that we recommend that offer a transportation package.

In January I stayed in a downtown Newark hotel just so I could take PATH and the light rail to Bayonne. I was going to take a local cab into the port, but one of my friends came by in her car service and picked me up at the light rail station. We returned in a snowstorm and the taxi dispatching was a disaster at Cape Liberty. I was able to piggyback onto someone's ride to Jersey City, but most folks were left standing there in the snow. Tempers were short and many nasty words. Ugly situation.

Omg. That's awful. Yes, one of my big concerns is the cost of transportation to the port. Initially I had booked transportation through RCCL, but that was before everything fell apart.

Hilton Gardens on Staten Island has a complimentary shuttle to the cruise port. It is only about 20 minutes to the pier from there.

I was looking at this hotel ... has anyone stayed here before, and have any positive and/or negative comments to offer? thanks!

I was looking at this hotel ... has anyone stayed here before, and have any positive and/or negative comments to offer? thanks!

Folks really like this hotel, but.... You live near me in Mass. To get there it's an extra 25-30 minutes on top of an already long drive plus an extra $14 bridge toll w/out Ezpass plus some extra turnpike toll.

What is your cruise date? What is your budget? How many people? Bed configuration?

Yeah, I'm also concerned about the bridge closures. I was looking at the Country Inn & Suites as well.

I'm cruising on 11/10/2015 for 12 nights, so need the hotel on 11/9, and parking for 12 nights. 1 room, 2 beds ... 2 adults. $250-ish, a little more or less is fine ... looking for something clean and safe parking, and something close by for dinner/breakfast.

Yeah, I'm also concerned about the bridge closures. I was looking at the Country Inn & Suites as well.

I'm cruising on 11/10/2015 for 12 nights, so need the hotel on 11/9, and parking for 12 nights. 1 room, 2 beds ... 2 adults. $250-ish, a little more or less is fine ... looking for something clean and safe parking, and something close by for dinner/breakfast.

Bayonne Bridge closures are unpredictable. IMO your best choice is Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza, $208 TAX INCLUDED, 21 days parking, round trip port transportation and option to choose two double beds. Hotel has a cafe, a restaurant and Teddy's sports bar. The Doubletree next door has a restaurant and bar as well. This is a popular package with Caoe Liberty cruisers, so if you're interested, book it now. Most park/sleeps will not cover 12 days parking and they don't include port transportation.

Another option is the cruise package at Embassy Suites, which will include the 12 days parking, free breakfast, and port transportation for $300 tax included. Dinner options are Ruby Tuesdays, Ihop, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, Marriott Courtyard, and the Jersey Gardens Mall food court.

For now, I made a reservation at both. But, it's probably not worth the extra $100 to stay at Embassy Suites. Is either one significantly easier access driving to/from, or have less hassles getting back and forth to the pier, that you're aware of? Thanks!

For now, I made a reservation at both. But, it's probably not worth the extra $100 to stay at Embassy Suites. Is either one significantly easier access driving to/from, or have less hassles getting back and forth to the pier, that you're aware of? Thanks!

Stay at Country Inns. The reviews on Embassy Suites are mixed. They are across the street from one another.

Edited by 138east

Aloha :D

Just simple math. Shuttle between Cape Liberty cruise port (CL) & EWR, $28.50pp, times 2 persons = $59.00 + tip if driver handles bags, taxi estimate between Elizabeth & EWR $55-60 each way+$8-$10 tip.

Shuttle is by appointment, wait for passengers to fill up seats, or multiple location pick-ups. Taxi, hotel front desks will call for a taxi if you tell them what time you want to leave, & taxis line up for passengers at the cruise port.

Does this help those trying to decide how to get to/from their Elizabeth area hotel and CL.

Hotel Good, clean, and something close by for dinner/breakfast ISN'T something you will find in Bayonne where Cape Liberty Cruise Port (CL) is located. Elizabeth, Newark, & Jersey City are the closest areas with hotels that meet the criteria requested. Elizabeth is where the EWR airport is located, Newark is just north of EWR and Jersey City is across Newark Bay & north of EWR. Nearest hotel appears to be Howard Johnson Hotel, Newark Airport, 7 miles from CL, & I don't know about good, clean or being able to get something to eat. You have to pay for good!

Getting to/from CL is simple math. Shuttle between CL & EWR, $28.50pp, times 2 persons = $59.00 + tip if driver handles bags, taxi estimate between Elizabeth & EWR $55-60 each way+$8-$10 tip. Shuttle is by appointment, wait for passengers to fill up seats, or multiple location pick-ups. Taxi, hotel front desks will call for a taxi if you tell them what time you want to leave, & taxis line up for passengers at the cruise port.

Does this help those trying to decide "A hotel close to Cape Liberty/Bayonne"

I wish cruise lines would tell customers these two facts when they are selling their cruises.

Rakuroda - Howard Johnsons is definitely not on our list of recommended hotels. A cheap hotel at EWR is just that - a cheap hotel.

Loopschick - sorry, but I lost the thread of what you had been asking. Basically you are going to pay an extra $130 to not use shuttle transportation to the port. So you can stay at the Ramada on Nov 9 for $139 tax included with 14 days parking and pay the $130 for a total price of about $270. You can stay at the Ramada for $209 with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation.

You can also book park/sleeps at Country Inns or Embassy Suites with or without port transportation.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. You will be able to eat, but it's going to be a meal, not a dining experience. If it were me, I would be paying the $209 tax included for the hotel room, 12 days parking, and the round trip port transportation and saving the money to spend on the cruise. IMO throwing more money at your precruise experience at EWR is not going to significantly enhance the experience.

Loopschick - sorry, but I lost the thread of what you had been asking. Basically you are going to pay an extra $130 to not use shuttle transportation to the port. So you can stay at the Ramada on Nov 9 for $139 tax included with 14 days parking and pay the $130 for a total price of about $270. You can stay at the Ramada for $209 with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation.

You can also book park/sleeps at Country Inns or Embassy Suites with or without port transportation.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. You will be able to eat, but it's going to be a meal, not a dining experience. If it were me, I would be paying the $209 tax included for the hotel room, 12 days parking, and the round trip port transportation and saving the money to spend on the cruise. IMO throwing more money at your precruise experience at EWR is not going to significantly enhance the experience.

Thanks Carol ... I'm good with a meal, will have plenty of "fine dining" on the cruise. My reason for asking about taxi vs. shuttle is that I'm traveling with my 87 year old mom, who has trouble climbing in and out of shuttle buses, and taxis are generally easier on her. Perhaps I will call the hotel and explain the situation and ask if they have a step stool or something that will assist her.

Thanks Carol ... I'm good with a meal, will have plenty of "fine dining" on the cruise. My reason for asking about taxi vs. shuttle is that I'm traveling with my 87 year old mom, who has trouble climbing in and out of shuttle buses, and taxis are generally easier on her. Perhaps I will call the hotel and explain the situation and ask if they have a step stool or something that will assist her.

If you book with Trinityreservations, they are the ones that arrange the cruise shuttle. The hotel has nothing to do with it. You need to email Trinity to find out what they use for shuttles. They are a faith based company and I have found them to be very nice about responding to my emails. Basically they buy blocks of rooms from the hotel, which lets them offer such good prices. Once the rooms are gone for a particular date they are gone. They also quote tax included, which is very helpful. Room taxes are about 15%, so if you are just browsing a travel site for EWR, you can expect to pay at least $20 more on any hotel price once the taxes are added.

If you book with Trinityreservations, they are the ones that arrange the cruise shuttle. The hotel has nothing to do with it. You need to email Trinity to find out what they use for shuttles. They are a faith based company and I have found them to be very nice about responding to my emails. Basically they buy blocks of rooms from the hotel, which lets them offer such good prices. Once the rooms are gone for a particular date they are gone. They also quote tax included, which is very helpful. Room taxes are about 15%, so if you are just browsing a travel site for EWR, you can expect to pay at least $20 more on any hotel price once the taxes are added.

Thank you for the advice, I will do that.

Why can you only book a stay/park/and transportation to Cape Liberty at The Ramada through trinityreservations?

The Ramada Hotel itself does not offer the package. Trinityreservations puts the package together and offers it as one of their park/sleep offerings. Many cruisers have used it and been very happy.