A hotel close to Cape Liberty/Bayonne

cocacola86

while bayonne is definitely a better choice than newark and jersey city, me personally i would not want to stay there either. The only benefit i could see would be your very close to the port.

If your doing the drive from canada, id stay stop a little further out and stay in a much nicer area. If you were planning on staying in newark area, an extra 10-15 minutes travel time and stay in cranford, westfield, clark, garwood area and drive over in the morning. World of difference in neighborhoods and safety.

This past March we stayed at the Courtyard in in Elizabeth City which is really by Newark airport. I signed up for the cruise package so I left my car at the hotel for 12 days and they shuttled us to/from the port. There are actually 5 hotels right there, a mall across the street and places to eat within walking distance.

This past March we stayed at the Courtyard in in Elizabeth City which is really by Newark airport. I signed up for the cruise package so I left my car at the hotel for 12 days and they shuttled us to/from the port. There are actually 5 hotels right there, a mall across the street and places to eat within walking distance.

We have stayed at that complex a couple of times and thought it was fine. That area would probably be our first choice if we were flying into EWR the day before the cruise.

I worked in the Newport area of Jersey City for about 10 years, and never felt unsafe walking around there, even in the evenings. It's mostly office buildings and high rise apartment complexes. There's tons of pedestrian traffic during the day and into the early evening and, on a Friday night, probably a bit later than during the week. I've met girlfriends I used to work with for dinner there a few times since leaving the company, and we don't feel at all uncomfortable walking to our cars.

You might want to look into the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City on the Hudson River. It is convenient for the PATH station, which will take you into Manhattan in one or two stops. Newport Center Mall is across the street (although I might avoid being in the mall too late into the evening). There is also a Shop Rite grocery store on Marin Blvd. and a Target on Washington Ave. that are easy -- and safe! -- walking distance form the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants you can walk to, most of which should be open on a Friday evening.

Depending on how you get into NJ from NY, you're pretty much right off major highways. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to get to the cruise port from the hotel. I know there's construction at the NJ Turnpike exit that leads to Cape Liberty, but you've got time to get directions and there are definitely "back roads" from Jersey City to Bayonne I used to take to avoid traffic on the Turnpike (I can't remember the names of the streets, though, so I can't give specific directions -- sorry :()

It's a LOT closer to the cruise port than Secaucus or Parsippany. Parsippany is pretty suburban -- you'd need to take your car pretty much anywhere, while in Jersey City, there are definitely amenities you can walk to.

I worked in the Newport area of Jersey City for about 10 years, and never felt unsafe walking around there, even in the evenings. It's mostly office buildings and high rise apartment complexes. There's tons of pedestrian traffic during the day and into the early evening and, on a Friday night, probably a bit later than during the week. I've met girlfriends I used to work with for dinner there a few times since leaving the company, and we don't feel at all uncomfortable walking to our cars.

You might want to look into the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City on the Hudson River. It is convenient for the PATH station, which will take you into Manhattan in one or two stops. Newport Center Mall is across the street (although I might avoid being in the mall too late into the evening). There is also a Shop Rite grocery store on Marin Blvd. and a Target on Washington Ave. that are easy -- and safe! -- walking distance form the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants you can walk to, most of which should be open on a Friday evening.

Depending on how you get into NJ from NY, you're pretty much right off major highways. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to get to the cruise port from the hotel. I know there's construction at the NJ Turnpike exit that leads to Cape Liberty, but you've got time to get directions and there are definitely "back roads" from Jersey City to Bayonne I used to take to avoid traffic on the Turnpike (I can't remember the names of the streets, though, so I can't give specific directions -- sorry :()

It's a LOT closer to the cruise port than Secaucus or Parsippany. Parsippany is pretty suburban -- you'd need to take your car pretty much anywhere, while in Jersey City, there are definitely amenities you can walk to.

I always found it weird how people always think that different parts of newark and jersey city are ok and some parts are not. people always say like ok ironbound is pretty safe but dont go anywhere else. I just dont get it. Its newark. Its not safe. Its jersey city. Its note safe. Your percentage of getting robbed, shot, car jacked etc are just the same in one part of the town then the next. Theres a reason why people dont want to live there. Idk just the way i fell i guess.

I always found it weird how people always think that different parts of newark and jersey city are ok and some parts are not. people always say like ok ironbound is pretty safe but dont go anywhere else. I just dont get it. Its newark. Its not safe. Its jersey city. Its note safe. Your percentage of getting robbed, shot, car jacked etc are just the same in one part of the town then the next. Theres a reason why people dont want to live there. Idk just the way i fell i guess.

I've only ever been in the train station in Newark, so I can't comment about that.

I did work in the Newport area of Jersey City for 10 years and am only commenting on my personal experience. Plenty of people want to live in Jersey City, and apartments in Newport rent for thousands of dollars a month. I couldn't afford to live there when I worked there.

As always, YMMV.

What date is your cruise?

The high level plan would be to drive to the Parsipanny, NJ area, book a hotel in that area (Hotwire often has good deals), and drive and park at the port the following day. The Parsipanny area would offer a variety iof services that you would not have at Newark Airport. You would also minimize your driving in tge traffic and congestion of the airport area.

How long of a drive would you say is Parsipanny from Bayonne......one hour?

How long of a drive would you say is Parsipanny from Bayonne......one hour?

It should be no more than an hour on a Sat morning. If you're coming down on a Fri night, you will save yourself a lot of aggravation by staying on the edge of the NY metro area instead of trying to get to the Newark airport area during rush hour.

It should be no more than an hour on a Sat morning. If you're coming down on a Fri night, you will save yourself a lot of aggravation by staying on the edge of the NY metro area instead of trying to get to the Newark airport area during rush hour.

We wouldn't get into the Newark area until 8 pm or so on Friday evening but I was thinking maybe we would try somewhere new as we always stay in Elizabeth the night before. Thanks.

Carol, would you have any advice for traveling in at least part way Wednesday night for a Thursday departure? We are coming from Pittsburgh, not sure what route is the best way to go. Would you suggest driving part way, or driving the entire way in before getting a hotel? Planning on parking at the pier. Another option would be for us to leave early Thursday (3am) and drive straight through.