John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

For those of you who don't follow him...

On his Facebook today he's stated that Liquor purchased in the Islands and in the Fun Shops will no longer be passed out the night before debarkation like it has been but now the morning of debarkation in a lounge on the ship. The ship will communicate what lounge it will take place in.

Many people are complaining as luggage still has to be put out the night before and without having your liquor until the morning of, anyone who travels via airplane will have to repack either on the ship or once arriving at the airport before checking luggage.

The water thing didn't upset me, but this just seems like an absolute cluster. I know what they are trying to do. They are trying to prevent people from having access to their liquor the last night of their cruise and from drinking it, but really? Are that many people doing that? Is it that big of an issue to inconvenience so many people? I really am not fond on this and feel like it's going to make debarkation so much more unorganized. The elevators are already a mess that morning and I just see this being very sloppy.

I can't wait to hear others come back and see what they have to say about how it goes.

On my cruise in April this is how it was done. We just carried it off with us and when we picked up our bags we just put them in before we got on our shuttle.

This is how we also handled ours the last time we purchased onboard liquor. Honestly we felt better with us handling it rather than being in our luggage at the port. We only purchase when we are driving to port though, not when flying. I just don't trust airlines enough to arrive home with liquor soaked clothing. I don't think the savings justify the risk, and if it is something I couldn't get in the states then I would pay to have it shipped home.

For those of you who don't follow him...

On his Facebook today he's stated that Liquor purchased in the Islands and in the Fun Shops will no longer be passed out the night before debarkation like it has been but now the morning of debarkation in a lounge on the ship. The ship will communicate what lounge it will take place in.

Many people are complaining as luggage still has to be put out the night before and without having your liquor until the morning of, anyone who travels via airplane will have to repack either on the ship or once arriving at the airport before checking luggage.

The water thing didn't upset me, but this just seems like an absolute cluster. I know what they are trying to do. They are trying to prevent people from having access to their liquor the last night of their cruise and from drinking it, but really? Are that many people doing that? Is it that big of an issue to inconvenience so many people? I really am not fond on this and feel like it's going to make debarkation so much more unorganized. The elevators are already a mess that morning and I just see this being very sloppy.

I can't wait to hear others come back and see what they have to say about how it goes.

While I can understand your concern, my guess is that there are additional reasons why they are doing this, one of which is not having to worry about bottles breaking due to poor packing when people get their luggage (after debarking), or saying it disappeared.

I mostly fly to port, and if they enforce this rule I will not buy liquor anymore on a Carnival ship. I can only imagine the cluster and lines trying to pick up liquor the morning of disembarkation! I pack my booze carefully in my checked suitcase the night before and I have not had it break (yet). I don't exclusively sail Carnival, so I will just buy my booze on another cruise line.

i wonder how early this claim process will start? Because when I self assist off the ship, typically I give myself enough time to get up, shower, get something quick to eat and get out of the room. Will this be something I can do before then? I mean obviously I can set an alarm and go down if I need to but I don't want to make this delay us in getting of the ship and ultimately delay us getting to the airport.

It's seems a little over the top.

How many people drink that much the last night? When I have to fly or drive the last thing I need is to have had too much to drink the night before.

Maybe I'm in the minority:confused:

I can't imagine what the lines might be like to pick up the liquor. In Charleston, when debarking, in Sept 2014 I had to stand in line for customs on board in order to declare my "extra" liquor. Just a couple of bottles. There were only about 20 or so people in line, but it took 45 minutes.

Maybe they will have it streamlined more than that, but as someone else said, what time do they plan on doing this on that morning?

We typically have a long way to go and always try to get off as early as possible.

If we now have to go to a lounge to pick up liquor purchased on the ship will save Carnival the trouble and stop buying liquor on the ship.

What a foolish policy and based on the number of people on his fb page saying they will no longer purchase liquor, hoping they will change it before they start it.

Not practical, lot of trouble for guests! Actually I would expect Carnival to treat guests better.
Again, I say CCL puts profit 1st and Customer Service 2nd or 3rd. I`ve had to do this morning thing before and it truly is a hassle.

GOD forbid, somebody cracks that bottle at 9PM for a night cap.....................

In the past, I know they have had some problems with delivering duty free liquor to the room the night before debarkation. Sometimes it made it to the wrong room causing a problem. Sometimes they left it outside the door and it disappeared (big surprise). Sometimes it was delivered properly and the recipient claimed otherwise. I suspect this change is being done for many reasons.

It's even possible that US customs wants folks to have duty free booze in hand when going thru the customs line and I'm sure the labor involved in delivery the night before is significant.

Having said all that, I suspect this change will cause some drop in duty free purchases. Carnival will determine if the trade off is justified and change the policy if it thinks it makes sense. If customs is the one driving the change then it doesn't have to make sense.

I doubt Carnival gives a twit about your night cap.

Whenever a change in policy happens there are always those who claim Carnival is making the change because they're cheap and don't like their customers. That's just dumb. If it was true they would have gone out of business years ago.

Edited by travler27

What may not be an convenience to some may be an inconvenience to others. Personally I don't like the change so I will not be purchasing booze from the FunShop as I usually do every year.

I think enough people will not like the change that it will impact their onboard Fun Shop sales. I'm willing to bet anyone a DOD of their choice that this new rule will be reversed within 6 months.

I don't understand it 1 bit.

While I can understand your concern, my guess is that there are additional reasons why they are doing this, one of which is not having to worry about bottles breaking due to poor packing when people get their luggage (after debarking), or saying it disappeared.

Both Carnival and many shops ashore pack them in sturdy cardboard boxes. I doubt breakage is much of an issue.

Liquor distribution on the Breeze seemed more disorganized than normal. We got ours so late, we already had our luggage packed and just carried it off.

There may be another motivation behind it, but it seems a huge inconvenience to the guests.

What may not be an convenience to some may be an inconvenience to others. Personally I don't like the change so I will not be purchasing booze from the FunShop as I usually do every year.

I think enough people will not like the change that it will impact their onboard Fun Shop sales. I'm willing to bet anyone a DOD of their choice that this new rule will be reversed within 6 months.

I don't understand it 1 bit.

Hopefully even earlier. Who wants to stand in line to get stuff they paid for the morning of debarkation?

Is it really that big of a deal to carry it off of the ship and then stick in in your luggage after? I mean really? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Yes, it is a big deal. We fly and IF I BUY booze I want to be sure it's packed really well. I can just see myself on the floor with my suitcase open trying to secure a bottle of booze.

This will surely make lots of people quit buying booze on the ship or in ports unless they sneak it on the ship if nobody is at the booze drop-off desk.

In the past, I know they have had some problems with delivering duty free liquor to the room the night before debarkation. Sometimes it made it to the wrong room causing a problem. Sometimes they left it outside the door and it disappeared (big surprise). Sometimes it was delivered properly and the recipient claimed otherwise. I suspect this change is being done for many reasons.

It's even possible that US customs wants folks to have duty free booze in hand when going thru the customs line and I'm sure the labor involved in delivery the night before is significant.

Having said all that, I suspect this change will cause some drop in duty free purchases. Carnival will determine if the trade off is justified and change the policy if it thinks it makes sense. If customs is the one driving the change then it doesn't have to make sense.

I doubt Carnival gives a twit about your night cap.

I wouldn't blame CBP for this. On our last two cruises we bought more than the allowance. Both times I properly disclosed it on the form. In each case they just glanced at the form and waved us through. I don't think CBP really cares to take the time to collect unless a person is massively over.

Marginal lost liquor sales, the last night of the cruise.

Lost Obscene Profit ain`t how CCL rolls and I`ll take you up on that bet!

People aren't drinking as much on the last night because it is the last night. If people at Carnival can't grasp that, they need to go to work in a different industry.

Custom lines are so slow, everybody has plenty of time to repack in the line.

No they're not. Not if you self assist. I have never waited in line longer than 10 minutes max for customs with self assist. Plus, who wants to open their luggage in line and re-pack everything. I can just see it now. "oh hey sorry you get to see all my dirty laundry and everything but I have to re-pack my suitcase..."