John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

I think a lot of people are overestimating the number of people who buy liquor to take home. Just because you do, doesn't mean everybody else is. I doubt it's much higher than 10-20%. Won't be a problem at all.

I don't know. Have you ever seen it stacked up waiting to be delivered? It is a LOT.

Oh course, I know the room stewards will be happy with the change. I am sure they hate that part.

i only ever purchase liquor from the fun shops, the last night of the cruise, so that i can take it with me directly to the room. this is in part so that i can avoid the uncertain delivery time or potential for lost or damaged goods. if i cannot do that, then i will not purchase it. i have absolutely no interest in picking it up the morning of debarkation, and refuse to do so.

seems like another half baked idea from carnival...

for all the talk about profits and sales suffering, if they were smart about it, they would perhaps make it so that 1) you can pick up your fun shops liquor purchases directly from the gift shop on the last night or 2) fun shops liquor purchases would continue to be delivered. however, 3) liquor purchases from the islands would have to be picked up as directed in this new policy, the next morning. that would drive the majority of liquor purchases to the fun shops, for those wishing the convenience they are used to.

it doesn't seem like that big a deal, either, as anyone who's been to the gift shops the night before has undoubtedly seen rows of boxes waiting for delivery that night - they're already there! but no, they didn't even do that... just a half baked idea all around as far as i see it.

I agree it is a 'stupid' decision to have passengers pick up their booze the morning of debarkation. It is already a crazy time and now one more thing will be added to the 'to do' list.:confused:

However, it will not likely prevent us from purchasing. Being Canadian, the prices on board are ridiculously cheap for us and we cannot pass up those prices. On our last cruise my husband and I purchased 8 bottles and saved a ton of money over our home prices. We will gladly lug the booze off the ship in the boxes. We usually don't fly out until the next day so we will have time to consume a little and pack the rest. :)

I think a lot of people are overestimating the number of people who buy liquor to take home. Just because you do, doesn't mean everybody else is. I doubt it's much higher than 10-20%. Won't be a problem at all.

I think it's higher than that.

I can see the room stewards not minding the change. I would gladly go get my purchase, but it is a hassle to force people to do it on the morning of.

As to the previous poster who said they hope people stick to what they say and not buy liquor onboard, well for many it will be easy. Most folks are not gonna want to repack in the port or pay for another checked bag that you will have to stuff with clothes somehow so the bottles won't break. So with this one, Carnival will leave few with no choice but to abandon the practice of buying liquor to take home if you take public transportation.

Maybe there is alot to be said for people breaking rules and then posting it online to boot. I always though it was obnoxious to do so and have stayed out of such conversations on the internet. I don't smuggle. I actually like having my drinks served to me and no more complain about the price of them on the ship than I do when I go out for drinks on the weekend. And my spouse and I don't crack open big bottles of liquor the night before the cruise is over. It would be a waste and he point of buying them was to bring them HOME. Often for friends/family.

So if this is a case that a few messed it up for the rest, then yes I agree THEY did it to themselves. But not all of us pissed about this stupid rule change are part of the problem to begin with.

Most folks are not gonna want to repack in the port or pay for another checked bag that you will have to stuff with clothes somehow so the bottles won't break. So with this one, Carnival will leave few with no choice but to abandon the practice of buying liquor to take home if you take public transportation.

I live in Florida and will not go through the hassle of going to get it on debarkation morning. The ship is always a zoo and I do not save enough to make it worth while.

I've never thought that the savings were worth buying it on board and lugging it home in any fashion. Certainly not worth the extra weight in my suitcase if I'm flying. If you can only buy a couple of bottles duty free what do you save, 20 bucks at most? I'm always surprised that they sell as much as they do.

I agree - their "shop" sales are going to go down. This is simply "micro managing" at its worse. Carnival is not losing "alcohol" sales on the last night of the cruise. People are busy getting their bags packed and so forth; and I'm sure they have already made a significant profit from the total sailing. This, plain and simple, makes absolutely no sense. I have always loved carnival and been loyal to them, but these changes since new management has take over is going over the top. Another side thought - lower the costs of the drinks, wine packages and/or bottles and offer a shared "cheers" program and maybe you won't have to implement these changes. (i.e. the wine I purchase at home for $16 a bottle carnival sells for $40.) Quite the mark up:eek:

And the $16 bottle of wine you purchase at home is $40 in any restaurant in the same town where you bought it for $16. And you are saying that you want Carnival to lower all their alcohol prices to less than you would pay for the same level drink in your hometown bars and restaurants? Interesting!

I don't think most folks are just "blowing smoke" about not buying booze at the Fun Shops or at the ports because of the change.

The cheaper prices AND the convenience of having it delivered to your room were both part of the appeal.

Having to go pick it up myself on DEBARKATION MORNING is a huge deterrent to me for sure. I can't speak for other folks but ain't no just "blowing smoke" here.

Edited by vacruisin

Yep, they are afraid they will miss out on a couple of drink sales on the last night.

ummm, not a chance that is the reason (IMHO);). You do realize what time they are delivered, right? Weigh your "couple of drinks" against the lost sales opportunity. Don't think so.:cool:

I can see the room stewards not minding the change. I would gladly go get my purchase, but it is a hassle to force people to do it on the morning of.

As to the previous poster who said they hope people stick to what they say and not buy liquor onboard, well for many it will be easy. Most folks are not gonna want to repack in the port or pay for another checked bag that you will have to stuff with clothes somehow so the bottles won't break. So with this one, Carnival will leave few with no choice but to abandon the practice of buying liquor to take home if you take public transportation.

Maybe there is alot to be said for people breaking rules and then posting it online to boot. I always though it was obnoxious to do so and have stayed out of such conversations on the internet. I don't smuggle. I actually like having my drinks served to me and no more complain about the price of them on the ship than I do when I go out for drinks on the weekend. And my spouse and I don't crack open big bottles of liquor the night before the cruise is over. It would be a waste and he point of buying them was to bring them HOME. Often for friends/family.

So if this is a case that a few messed it up for the rest, then yes I agree THEY did it to themselves. But not all of us pissed about this stupid rule change are part of the problem to begin with.

I would guess it as over 300 bottles a cruise.

I don't think most folks are just "blowing smoke" about not buying booze at the Fun Shops or at the ports because of the change.

The cheaper prices AND the convenience of having it delivered to your room were both part of the appeal.

Having to go pick it up myself on DEBARKATION MORNING is a huge deterrent to me for sure. I can't speak for other folks but ain't no just "blowing smoke" here.

It's the cheaper prices for us, and occasionally we buy stuff we can't get at home. In fact, when we were shopping in port, we always used to look for odd or different things that we couldn't find at home. That is how we discovered sheridans. We don't waste our time on Grey Goose...That's something we can get at home and the effort to me isn't worth saving $5. For me it's buying something that I can have at home that I can't get at home. Then when I have friends over I can share it. Then buy more on next cruise. This is why we buy liquor. It's not for the measly savings on the same crap at the liquor stores at home.

I have bought liquor before, but you can believe I 100% for sure won't now. I usually do self assist, but I REFUSE to stand in line the morning of to go retrieve it. Getting off the ship in time for my flight is stressful enough no matter if it's early morning or in the afternoon and I'm not going to add more craziness first thing in the morning.

For those that put their luggage out the night before, when are they supposed to pack it? I can tell you it WON'T be when they exit the terminal as you can't stop even for a second. By the luggage carousels?! That should be interesting - people trying to get their bags off the carousel while others are tripping over them.

Maybe Carnival just wants people to leave it behind to resell it! Just half way kidding about that one.

Who in the world wants to get blitzed the night before they get off anyway? Sure as Hades not me. Bad enough I have to be up at the butt crack of dawn and travel. And even if others do - so what?! It's their booze. Let them drink it up. Let's see - Carnival is concerned about people going home with hangovers yet I can't use my Gold coupon until after 5PM the last night of the cruise. Hmmm. Sounds a little oxymoronic to me.

Oh and this isn't a threat - it's a promise. No more liquor purchases for me or my family that travels with me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I would guess it as over 300 bottles a cruise.

If that is a fleet wide average, ok. I would say the Breeze was way past that. I think they were gathering close to 100 bottles per port at minimum, plus whatever the fun shops sold. There were laundry carts full of boxes at Grand Turk.

The problem isn't going to be felt right away, unless they communicate the change in advance.

Everyone will continue buying liquor as normal, thinking they will get it the night before. Everything is going to hit the proverbial fan when it doesn't arrive. Guests will be calling the room stewards, calling guest services, etc. unless they communicate it to the passengers. And even then, I'm sure there will be quite the line at GS. I really feel sorry for them.

Then people will come back and complain after the cruise.

We only buy liquor on board or in ports when we drive to/from the port, we never wanted the hassle/worry of packing it up for a flight. When we drive we don't pack it so having to wait until the morning to get is no biggie for us. We normally stay at our embarkation port a few days post cruise so we usually aren't in a hurry to get off the ship. This will just give us something to do that morning. I'm not sure this will really be a big deal for those driving and if there are many like us that just don't buy it when flying, they won't have an issue either.

I would bet that this policy will change and that Fun Shop liquor will be delivered to the room or can be picked up the night before just like it has been in the past.

Liquor purchased "off ship" will have to be picked up on debarkation morning just like liquor sequestered during the embarkation process. With delivery of "off ship" purchases Carnival has a pretty big responsibility and a significant labor cost and financial exposure for the delivery of a product which generates no revenue for Carnival. I can understand why they want to shed this liability.

I have no idea how other lines handle liquor purchased "off ship".

The posts about "high" drink prices on Carnival always make me smile. We went to Morton's the other night and had to wait in the bar for my daughter and her husband to show. My wife and I each had an Absolut on the rocks (just 1 each). When they brought the check it was for $42 without the tip. Carnival bar prices are actually very reasonable compared to other restaurant/resort prices. Maybe high when compared to liquor store prices and making your own drinks at home but that's an unfair comparison.

Oh and I might add that they are reconsidering this for the Luggage Express people. Obviously there is no way for them to pack their liquor the day of debarkation since they won't see their luggage until they get home. I bet they call this new service "FTYB" Faster To Your Booze and charge $10 more for the service. Are they going to stand guard to make sure no one drinks it instead of putting it in their luggage? SMH.

I would bet that this policy will change and that Fun Shop liquor will be delivered to the room or can be picked up the night before just like it has been in the past.

Liquor purchased "off ship" will have to be picked up on debarkation morning just like liquor sequestered during the embarkation process. With delivery of "off ship" purchases Carnival has a pretty big responsibility and a significant labor cost and financial exposure for the delivery of a product which generates no revenue for Carnival. I can understand why they want to shed this liability.

I have no idea how other lines handle liquor purchased "off ship".

Separating how it's doled out is even more of a mess. One purchase is dropped off. The other you pick up. I mean seriously - who is going to go through that hassle? Even if you do drive, give me a break already. We buy from both, but that's all over if this isn't fixed. And I for one did send a letter to corporate and posted numerous times on John's page today.

They need to reverse this with more expediency than NCL did with the "no bringing food back to your cabin" foolery.

QUOTE]

I suspect you are right about that and I don't think it will take to long. We never buy liquor onboard because we don't drink it. Still, I can see why folks are up in arms.

Separating how it's doled out is even more of a mess. One purchase is dropped off. The other you pick up. I mean seriously - who is going to go through that hassle? Even if you do drive, give me a break already. We buy from both, but that's all over if this isn't fixed. And I for one did send a letter to corporate and posted numerous times on John's page today.

They need to reverse this with more expediency than NCL did with the "no bringing food back to your cabin" foolery.

I don't see how it would be "more of a mess". Carnival surely knows which liquor you purchased in the Fun Shop vs what you brought on board in port. One purchase is handled by the Fun Shop and the other is not. Pretty easy to route them to differing storage areas.

It's the cheaper prices for us, and occasionally we buy stuff we can't get at home. In fact, when we were shopping in port, we always used to look for odd or different things that we couldn't find at home. That is how we discovered sheridans. We don't waste our time on Grey Goose...That's something we can get at home and the effort to me isn't worth saving $5. For me it's buying something that I can have at home that I can't get at home. Then when I have friends over I can share it. Then buy more on next cruise. This is why we buy liquor. It's not for the measly savings on the same crap at the liquor stores at home.

I Love Sheridans!! Always try to buy it on the ship.

I know for the majority of you that are American, the prices on the ship and at home are not too different and therefore don't always offer you a whole thought of savings.

For us over charged Canadians, the prices are way cheaper. Grey Goose at home(Manitoba) is $69.99 for a 1.14 L bottle and $45.99 for a 750ml bottle. CRAZY!! That is why we will still lug off the huge boxes filled with booze and pack it in our luggage later.