Cuba - Adjust Itineraries?

cle-guy

Should Celebrity adjust published itineraries if Cuba opens for mass market cruise lines?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Should Celebrity adjust published itineraries if Cuba opens for mass market cruise lines?

• Yes, adjust itineraries
    • No, do not adjust itineraries

Celebrity has created enough havoc and confusion with their stupid overnights on 10+ night cruises.

The rollout of Cuba should be in conjunction with the rollout of new itineraries.

Hopefully Celebrity has learned this by now; but I doubt it....

And yes, I would love to visit Cuba.

Edited by Olive1950

Celebrity has created enough havoc and confusion with their stupid overnights on 10+ night cruises.

Ok, Every other cruise line in the free world has a sailing that has a stop in Cuba, except Celebrity. Are you truly going to let us think you will wait over 2 years to go? Please!

Voted for Cuba and would love an overnight.

Would not like to wait 2 years for new itineraries to show up if they were available now.

Having said the above, for sure any change would affect some one's plans in a negative way and I can identify with that disappointment. In 2009, we missed 3 Mexican ports due to H1N1 and I really wanted to go to all 3! We learn of our changes 2/3 days into our 15 day cruise. Our replacements:

San Diego - 1/2 day at best

Catalina Island off Los Angeles

San Francisco a 1/2 day early with disembarkation the next morning

So I can't imagine a port in the Caribean I would miss more than a chance to go to Cuba.

Edited by shipshape sam

IF the adjustments are to ADD it to an existing itinerary without sacrificing another stop, yes I am all for the adjustment. That is what my YES vote is for.

So if you were not booked yet and you found an itinerary that had switched a port for Cuba, you would not book it? Out of respect for the people who had already booked but had their itinerary changed? Or are you talking about an existing booking that you had that switched a port for Cuba?

Edited by Christine Frances

So if you were not booked yet and you found an itinerary that had switched a port for Cuba, you would not book it? Out of respect for the people who had already booked but had their itinerary changed? Or are you talking about an existing booking that you had that switched a port for Cuba?

I would not want someone's booking to be altered for Cuba to replacement of another port. I'd rather lose a sea day, pay extra for the port fees, etc.

Hell, get rid of the overnights and plug in Cuba instead! :)

I agree with the poster who said not to change itineraries that have already gone on sale, but otherwise Yeah!! add Cuba to future itineraries as soon as it becomes possible. As a Canadian, I have been to Cuba four times. It is the best Caribbean Island. Nothing else comes close.

Ok, Every other cruise line in the free world has a sailing that has a stop in Cuba, except Celebrity. Are you truly going to let us think you will wait over 2 years to go? Please!

Really?? Name the cruise lines for me, please.

And I stand by MY opinion. It is, after all,

MY opinion, not THE opinion (as you seem to think that YOURS is). It is just AN OPINION.

I'll check back when you have that information posted....

Really?? Name the cruise lines for me, please.

And I stand by MY opinion. It is, after all,

MY opinion, not THE opinion (as you seem to think that YOURS is). It is just AN OPINION.

I'll check back when you have that information posted....

I'm not Wallie, but without even having to look I know Thomson Cruises goes there. They're out of England. I know there are more, but I'm not going to search for them.

Be that as it may, there are other cruise lines out there that do not cater to Americans.

Flights leave daily from the U.S. to Cuba. The main problem is that we, from the U.S., "MUST" participate in scheduled daily programs approved by the Dept. of the Treasury. These programs take up a lot of your time and are designed for small groups (40 or so) in order to meet U.S. people to people requirements. The current limits on spending for U.S. folks is low and is another PIA for us normal people, although politicians and other personalities find it easy to skirt around many of these regulations.

If a ship could sail into a Cuban port and the passengers were free of all the jumpng through hoops now required a one or two night visit would be excellent. But as it now stands the Cuban infrastructure can't satisfy all the U.S. requirements for the number of passengers that would be arrive on a typical 2,000 passenger ship. 2,000 passengers would need 50 buses, fifty guides and fifty different APPROVED "areas for cultural exchange" for each of the daily scheduled time blocks.

The easing of the embargo has more to do with trade and business profit and very little to do with where we can and cannot go. OMO

bosco

I'm not Wallie, but without even having to look I know Thomson Cruises goes there. They're out of England. I know there are more, but I'm not going to search for them.

Be that as it may, there are other cruise lines out there that do not cater to Americans.

But Wallie said that "Ok, Every other cruise line in the free world has a sailing that has a stop in Cuba, except Celebrity. Are you truly going to let us think you will wait over 2 years to go? Please! "

Thomson is not EVERY other cruise line.

Just as there are cruise lines that DO NOT cater to Americans, there are also cruise lines that DO NOT cater to English, Arab, Chinese, etc etc people. That is just the way the world works.

Still waiting on that list, Wallie....

We went to Cuba for the first time in February. Beautiful beaches. All the staff at the resort, bus drivers, guides etc. were great. And I learned a bit of Spanish too! We also waved at the cruise ships that passed by every day. Before cruises start going there they may have to work out Cuba's $25 tourist exit tax. I sure would not want to have to pay that for only a few hour visit.

I'm not waiting for any cruise line to begin Cuba itineraries. We will be going back down later this Fall. I want to see Havana this time.

The rollout of Cuba should be in conjunction with the rollout of new itineraries.

Ok, I'm off work and got caught up.

Cheryl so you said in your comment I quoted, for Celebrity not to change any current itineraries. They created havoc. Also that you would love to see Cuba.

The main point to the thread is, should Celebrity alter current sailings.

I should have articulated better. I ment that when Cuba is opened up every cruise line in the world will change sailings and stop. Are you saying that given the chance you would still wait on Celebrity? Again I think not. You would love to go and all the hum bub about havoc would go out the window. Many out there will book the first rust bucket that is legal to stop.

As many on this thread have posted, they have been going for years.

If it becomes legal, and it will, no travel business can sit idly on the side lines. Simple business.

So Cheryl, will you wait till late 2017 or early 2018 on Celebrity if it is opened up next week, and they follow your advice?

EW

Ok, on a standard 7 day sailing, which port would be dropped on the Eastern route, and which would be dropped on the western? Never mind the longer routes, let's keep it simple.

Eastern drop___________

Western drop___________

Now remember we are talking about the U.S. Gov saying it is okie dokie to do this. There will probably not be much lead time, just one day, hey cruise industry, it's ok to park your liners in Cuba for a day.

With routes out thru April 2017 on the web site, that's almost 2 years. All the other lines make a change! But no, not Celebrity, so hundreds cancell and book with somewhere else. Fact of business life, changes happen, and Company's slow to move most times loose out.

Here is the post where I articulated a tad better. Which led to my question to you.

Here is the post where I articulated a tad better. Which led to my question to you.

Hi EW! I interpreted your original post to mean....in the future, so I'm glad to see you backed up my interpretation! We can talk about Cuba at great length in the Martini Bar in November! :D

Hi EW! I interpreted your original post to mean....in the future, so I'm glad to see you backed up my interpretation! We can talk about Cuba at great length in the Martini Bar in November! :D

Whewwww, Thanks Beth. I am sure we all will have some lively conversation's there and many other get togethers.

Flights leave daily from the U.S. to Cuba. The main problem is that we, from the U.S., "MUST" participate in scheduled daily programs approved by the Dept. of the Treasury. These programs take up a lot of your time and are designed for small groups (40 or so) in order to meet U.S. people to people requirements. The current limits on spending for U.S. folks is low and is another PIA for us normal people, although politicians and other personalities find it easy to skirt around many of these regulations.

If a ship could sail into a Cuban port and the passengers were free of all the jumpng through hoops now required a one or two night visit would be excellent. But as it now stands the Cuban infrastructure can't satisfy all the U.S. requirements for the number of passengers that would be arrive on a typical 2,000 passenger ship. 2,000 passengers would need 50 buses, fifty guides and fifty different APPROVED "areas for cultural exchange" for each of the daily scheduled time blocks.

The easing of the embargo has more to do with trade and business profit and very little to do with where we can and cannot go. OMO

bosco

Apparently the people to people exchanges for Americans who do not have family in Cuba no longer need approval and license from the Dept. of the Treasury. I believe that was one key changes when Obama announced plans to normalize relations with Cuba. I understand that a group only needs to follow the people to people guidelines for their trip. In other words, the itinerary can't be just going to the beach.

The problem with the cruise ships is that a cruise ship that calls on Cuba can then not call at any port in the US. Clearly the big mainstream cruise lines do not want to do that, but some smaller lines like Thomson or the Canadian Cuba Cruise which only has one ship is willing to forgo US ports. This will only change if the Helms-Burton Act is amended to allow calls on Cuba or is repealed altogether and only Congress can do that. The President can not.

Then the next hurdle is that the port in Havana can only accommodate small cruise ships with not much more than 1000PAX. It is not possible to make the port bigger to accommodate most cruise ships without taking out the bridge to the city, so they will need to build a large cruise terminal in Muriel.

So this really does look like it will be a while before any of this happens.

Then the next hurdle is that the port in Havana can only accommodate small cruise ships with not much more than 1000PAX. It is not possible to make the port bigger to accommodate most cruise ships without taking out the bridge to the city, so they will need to build a large cruise terminal in Muriel.

So this really does look like it will be a while before any of this happens.

Think Grand Caymen, tenders.

I understand that a group only needs to follow the people to people guidelines for their trip. In other words, the itinerary can't be just going to the beach.

You are correct in stating that travel to Cuba will not be a simple fun in the sun, mojito and hangover port of call. Although the need for pre-approval is no longer needed the same established program guidelines required by the Office of Foreign Assets Control MUST be met and I imagine proof of participation will be required.

The current cruise ship terminal ( Terminal Sierra Maestra ) is small compared to terminals we are used to. It has docks that are in the 500-600 foot length with depths of slightly over 30 feet. The main channel into the port area is fairly wide and has depths in the 40 foot area. There is no bridge to go under if docking at the existing cruise terminal and when entering the harbor the scenic forts are as prominent as those in San Juan.

Of course the restrictions on ships going to and from Cuba must be dealt with and changed. Cargo is now moving to Cuba but if the U.S. decides to begin open trade and take advantage of Cuba's need for our agricultural products, manufactured goods and oil and gas supplies ( billions of dollars for our economy ) changes in existing embargo must be made.

Only time will tell.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans