Classic Beverage Package "Know Before You Go"

jer_l

Changes at the top have consequences and that is what is now happening at X! The CEO has made it clear that she thinks prices are too low (and this is also supported by Mr. Bayley) and she also wants to do away with last minute price drops that cause all kinds of difficulties (and bad feelings) for the cruise line. Whether she will be able to fill the ship at higher price points without last minute specials remains to be seen. But for now the strategy (of X) is to offer the most attractive pricing and packages for those that book far in advance.

Having been an avid cruiser for forty+ years we have seen these kind of policy changes in the past and they have always failed. While a cruise line can certainly price anyway they please, in the final result they must fill their berths. If they fail to fill most of the berths they will have to further modify their policy to somehow sell those empty berths. Guess we shall have to wait and see.

Hank

Changes at the top have consequences and that is what is now happening at X! The CEO has made it clear that she thinks prices are too low (and this is also supported by Mr. Bayley) and she also wants to do away with last minute price drops that cause all kinds of difficulties (and bad feelings) for the cruise line. Whether she will be able to fill the ship at higher price points without last minute specials remains to be seen. But for now the strategy (of X) is to offer the most attractive pricing and packages for those that book far in advance.

If they fail to fill most of the berths they will have to further modify their policy to somehow sell those empty berths. Guess we shall have to wait and see. Hank

Agree - its somewhat of a perennial 'cat and mouse' competition (guess who are the mice!) However, the amount of new-build cabin supply coming (e.g. 4 new Carnival with 6,600 capacity) and expansion of river cruising should help us price-savvy cruise-critters. Bring on the 'battle of the perks' options.

We have just paid the final payment and I'm now waiting for the disappointment that the prices are going to start falling, as their are many berths left to fill.

I just hope they don't offer the cheap prices plus the all inclusive packages otherwise it will really leave a bad taste.

I'm sure if we call (from UK) they won't let us change/upgrade without cancelling

and losing the deposits

We have just paid the final payment and I'm now waiting for the disappointment that the prices are going to start falling, as their are many berths left to fill.

I just hope they don't offer the cheap prices plus the all inclusive packages otherwise it will really leave a bad taste.

I'm sure if we call (from UK) they won't let us change/upgrade without cancelling

and losing the deposits

I really don't want to be too much of a Pollyanna, but this seems the wrong attitude to take regarding your upcoming cruise!! Since you in the UK are bound by different rules regarding cancellations, why torture yourself by even looking at prices after final payment? I'm in the USA and I don't do it!

Once I've paid, I've paid, and all there is left to do is blissfully anticipate my upcoming cruise.

That simply is NOT the point!

No one should have to search to find out what is included in THEIR beverage package. The upsells are getting ridiculous, as are the thousands of questions posted here on a regular basis regarding the classic package. Celebrity is providing a perk, (via higher fares, mind you!) and they need to support THAT perk with information and have is clearly posted in menus at the various bars. It's not that damn difficult, and the OP shouldn't have to play guessing games or search the internet while sailing. :(

Totally agree. I made same comment on a previous thread a while back and got flamed by some posters who asked why people need a list for everything. DUH! One poster said all I need to do is ask the bartender and they will happily recite that list. Imagine doing that for every passenger even if they actually knew what was on the list.

Totally agree. I made same comment on a previous thread a while back and got flamed by some posters who asked why people need a list for everything. DUH! One poster said all I need to do is ask the bartender and they will happily recite that list. Imagine doing that for every passenger even if they actually knew what was on the list.

I agree too. The packages have price limits but there are not comprehensive menus that show the prices of spirits and cocktails. Its no fun asking for a drink and being told no. Then asking for another and being told no. Or alternatively asking a barman to advise what you can have and having to listen to a list of offerings (which may change from barman to barman or bar to bar).

When I first bought the Classic package in 2013 the menus showed all drinks on offer and the prices and made choosing very easy and stress free.

I believe X deliberately changed the menus to only show a selection of drinks (mostly priced above the Classic price point) to push people to upgrade and to stop people ordering the more expensive choices that are still within their package limits. Instead they will stick to the basic offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps there is a solution. If everyone with the Classic Package asks (every time they go into a bar) for the bar tender or bar waiter/waitree to recite the entire list of covered drinks the crew will quickly grow tired of this nonsense. At some point you can bet there will finally be a printed list.

We had the same issue last December on the Eclipse. When we asked at several bars for a list of included drinks we were told they had no such list but they would be happy to answer any questions. Since DW and I do not get into all these exotic drinks it was simply a matter of DW being able to get her Cosmos and I learned to live with the Scotch and Cognac that were covered by the Classic Package. But we did find it annoying that there was no comprehensive printed list/menu like we used to receive in years past.

Hank

I just hope they don't offer the cheap prices plus the all inclusive packages otherwise it will really leave a bad taste. I'm sure if we call (from UK) they won't let us change/upgrade without cancelling and losing the deposits

Not sure what UK limitation are, but I OFTEN buy low category cabin and upgrade if higher-cat prices drop later. My experience and other board comments indicate, at least for USA, even after final payment you can move up in category to a reduced-price category as long as paying more than original booking.

So start with OV or low-price veranda you can live with, then later if Concierge, Aqua, Suite drop consider buying up again. Sometimes these less expensive buy-ups appear due to new discounts like senior, military, residency or guaranty-rate. Watch if a new discounted rate removes an existing 123GO perk. Good Luck

I really don't want to be too much of a Pollyanna, but this seems the wrong attitude to take regarding your upcoming cruise!! Since you in the UK are bound by different rules regarding cancellations, why torture yourself by even looking at prices after final payment? I'm in the USA and I don't do it!

Once I've paid, I've paid, and all there is left to do is blissfully anticipate my upcoming cruise.

I agree-- I check daily (sometimes more, as I once caught a price reduction that lasted less than 12 hours)

Once final payment passes, no more checking. I don't WANT to know!

When we traveled on our last Celebrity cruise last year we were able to get several premium white wines at MDR and bars. From what I am reading can it be that Beringe-type wines are all that are available at bars now? Honestly we enjoy a nice wine and willing to pay for but don't want to have to run around to find one or wait for dinner. Would I be able to find a list of wines available on the Silhouette?

On Solstice last week for Alaska. Classic package and gratuities were included. Two days in I upgraded my package to premium to get the Molecular Bar; Martini Bar; better beers; better vodka; and better wines at dinner. Wife left hers at classic. Very much worth the ten dollars a day for me, especially for Molecular. That one spot is worth it.

We upgraded on the Connie last time and were so happy that we did. We tried all kinds of different drinks we don't normally have. Some were great and a couple were awful. It was nice to hand them back to the bartender as he laughed and said Miss Cathy I could not believe you wanted that. I said why didn't you tell me. He said your face was priceless when you took that large sip.:)

That may be so but we often get our fares for a price with the perks that is very competitive compared to other lines without the drinks included, so either way, it is a saving for us.:D

I was comparing Princess with Celebrity for similar 7day Caribbean itineraries. I booked a C2 for $1299 pp with all three perks while an obstructed balcony on the Royal or Regal Princess was just priced a little higher with no perks. People on the Princess board will argue that you can find a TA who discounts and offers obc. Even so It don't think the TA perks would even add up to the $300 OBC let alone the drink package and paid gratuities. If it wasn't for the perks I would never be able to afford to sail in a balcony let alone CC.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Strange that Long Island Iced Tea is all that is on Classic. That Cocktail is usually one of the most expensive on any Menu as it contains more Alcohol than most.

Martini's and Manhattan's are all alcohol as well. What makes them eligible for the classic package is that they don't use premium liquor. If you order a Grey Goose Martini that would be a premium drink. A Long Island Iced Tea is Gin,Tequila, Vodka, Rum and Triple Sec. They are not using Top shelf or call brands to make them.

Martini's and Manhattan's are all alcohol as well. What makes them eligible for the classic package is that they don't use premium liquor. If you order a Grey Goose Martini that would be a premium drink. A Long Island Iced Tea is Gin,Tequila, Vodka, Rum and Triple Sec. They are not using Top shelf or call brands to make them.

"call brands" is too generic....you can indeed order with specific liquors as long as the liquor is less than $8...I think. The published "list" is just a sampling of the brands that are included, but is not all inclusive unless Celebrity has changed their policy (and what I bought).

"call brands" is too generic....you can indeed order with specific liquors as long as the liquor is less than $8...I think. The published "list" is just a sampling of the brands that are included, but is not all inclusive unless Celebrity has changed their policy (and what I bought).

True. I was just trying to explain why a Long Island Iced Tea could be on the classic package. I have never heard any one order that drink by calling out the brands. I don't even think most know the ingredients. I drink them and I had to look up the recipe.

True. I was just trying to explain why a Long Island Iced Tea could be on the classic package. I have never heard any one order that drink by calling out the brands. I don't even think most know the ingredients. I drink them and I had to look up the recipe.

:) Actually I smile when someone orders a Grey Goose Bloody Mary, screwdriver, or similar. Tasting most mixed drinks, especially the sweet ones, 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the house brand and their "call brand".

I have enjoyed this thread. I know there are older threads I can look up, but as the conversation is active here...

We will be on our first Celebrity Cruise and first TA on Nov 1. This is a bucket list trip for us and we are excited. We have never cruised Celebrity and this is a TA, so no OBC and no extra perks. On other cruise lines, we buy wine packages and have a bottle of wine every evening. On sea days we can drink enough to justify the cost of a drink package. If we add fancy water, coffee, and juice, we could definitely match the cost of a drink package. We won't both drink enough to cover a drink package on port days. The total cost for either drink package for 15 days is 1/2 to 2/3 of our cabin fare.

So, on a 15 day TA cruise with no OBC and no perks, I am thinking we purchase one drink package and pay for individual coffee, water, and drinks for the other spouse. After a few days we can evaluate if we want to purchase a second drink package.

• Do you know how far into a cruise you can purchase the drink package and only pay for the days remaining on the cruise?

• Is there an NA beer on board (none on the lists I've seen)?

• Are the super expensive ($32 for a beer!) fancy beers included with the premium package?

• Is a premium coffee drink or fresh juice available through room service?

• Any other advice for our no OBC, no perks cruise, with a coffee, wine, bloody mary, and martini drinker tastes on a classic beer budget? :D

On other cruise lines, we buy wine packages and have a bottle of wine every evening.

How much do you normally spend per bottle?

• Do you know how far into a cruise you can purchase the drink package and only pay for the days remaining on the cruise?

Till there are 4 days .

• Is there an NA beer on board (none on the lists I've seen)?

don't REMEMBER

• Are the super expensive ($32 for a beer!) fancy beers included with the premium package?

Covered up to the $14 cap, over that is charged to the sea pass account

No coffee's, but juice is

• Any other advice for our no OBC, no perks cruise, with a coffee, wine, bloody mary, and martini drinker tastes on a classic beer budget? :D

If you get 2-3 glasses of $13-15 wine at dinner, that is $40 -$45 each, if you buy a $50 bottle and a couple coffees, juices and a water or 2 you will be pushing close to $50-$60 each per day. For the pure convenience and worry free, it sounds like you already know your 'drinks' tab is going to come close to the $2000 it will cost for the worry free no hassle Premium pkg.

EW

It's pretty much a no brainer that upgrading to the Premium package is the only way to go. If you already received the Classic as a 123 bonus, it's just $10 plus gratuity a day.....c'mon man, that's not even one good martini. And you don't have to keep asking "is there anything other than this really cheap wine I can have on the Classic package?"

I totally agree.... Upgrading is the way to go.

$11.50 p/p p/d covers practically every beverage.

But for those who choose NOT to upgrade

here is a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36535216&postcount=7

that lists what is covered under the Classic package.

:) Actually I smile when someone orders a Grey Goose Bloody Mary, screwdriver, or similar. Tasting most mixed drinks, especially the sweet ones, 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the house brand and their "call brand".

I know. The only time it matters to me is when I'm drinking a vodka martini.

I totally agree.... Upgrading is the way to go.

$11.50 p/p p/d covers practically every beverage.

But for those who choose NOT to upgrade

here is a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36535216&postcount=7

that lists what is covered under the Classic package.

Thanks for the helpful link. Don't know if it's valid, though because it's very old-- it's my understanding that the classic now covers less than it previously did.

Pretty much any drink you can imagine is available through room service. No package covers any room service drinks, though. They will all be a la carte.