Items/Memorabilia You Bring Back

qsuzi

I am still enjoying reading this thread! Though I have already posted about mola's and gourds (I actually do have a picture of the artist:)) I thought of something else I collect as I was putting groceries in the bag at the store: The day is coming in California when we all will be supplying our own grocery bags, so I have been buying recycle bags at various ports. My Brazil Flag bag was very popular during the World Cup, and will be for the Olympics too!

Recycling is a world wide endeavor, and every country has them for sale. I love being reminded of my travels when I am helping the planet as I shop.

The bags are a light weight souvenir with a purpose!;)

Karen

I have never bothered to bring home cruise memorabilia, with one exception.

Our most memorable excursion was a private one that we took with six others to Juno Beach in Normandy. It was a very moving experience and on impulse I picked up a stone from the beach and brought it home. I have it sitting with a Rembrance Day poppy resting on top of it.

My favourite cruise picture momento is one of the eight of us standing on the beach holding a Canadian flag in front of us. It reminds me of how many people died to give us the right to pose for that picture.

Our most memorable excursion was a private one that we took with six others to Juno Beach in Normandy. It was a very moving experience and on impulse I picked up a stone from the beach and brought it home. I have it sitting with a Rembrance Day poppy resting on top of it.

My favourite cruise picture momento is one of the eight of us standing on the beach holding a Canadian flag in front of us. It reminds me of how many people died to give us the right to pose for that picture.

Thank you sincerely for sharing this special memory. MY DH and I honored his Canadian father during our visits to Normandy and Marseille and brought back some items for him. He rarely talked about his experiences.

Very touching. You know that there's a lot more important than collecting things.

((hugs)) thanks very much for this. Brings it all into perspective.

What a lovely, lovely post :)

I remember Normandy so well. I had no idea I would be so moved, so touched by the people of Normandy who still fly flags in honour of those who rescued them, the graves so lovingly attend to and the entire sense that hit you of all of those who had given their lives or risked them for the rest of us.

It was truly a time I will never forget - which brings me to the memorabilia.

The best ones I bring home are the memories of times like this. :)

Very touching. You know that there's a lot more important than collecting things.

I wound up reading this thread from back to front and was touched by your stone story as well. Little gestures mean so much to us.

When our travels have ended, when our spouses/partners/travel companions have passed away, that is what we have........ our memories. Speaking only for myself, those memories are a treasure.

I usually get a bookmark or magnet for everyone in the office on each of my cruises. But on our last cruise we had the signature beverage package for the first time. Most evenings we would order the cordial of the day which comes in a souvenir glass (found on the dessert menu in the MDR). We kept all the glasses, rinsed them out, and packed them carefully. Once home they were washed and dried and everyone was delighted with their cruise gift!

image.jpg1_zpssl9lk35n.jpg

I usually get a bookmark or magnet for everyone in the office on each of my cruises. But on our last cruise we had the signature beverage package for the first time. Most evenings we would order the cordial of the day which comes in a souvenir glass (found on the dessert menu in the MDR). We kept all the glasses, rinsed them out, and packed them carefully. Once home they were washed and dried and everyone was delighted with their cruise gift!

image.jpg1_zpssl9lk35n.jpg

Your post reminded me of one special B2B on the Noordam in 2010.. I ordered a cordial on many nights instead of having wine with dinner.. Our Former N.Y. Friends, who introduced us to our Florida home, decided to come with us on second half of the cruise.. Two other Friends were on the entire cruise with us.. My Friend, who is originally from Norway, loved those cordial glasses but never got any as she preferred to drink their wine for dinner & dessert.. I ended up with 16 of those glasses & the wine steward gave me brand new ones packed in boxes & took the dirty ones away each night..

Since we get together with these Friends every Christmas Eve, I wrapped 8 of them with different colored bubbles & gave them to her as an extra gift the following Christmas.. She loves these glasses & always uses them to serve us Aquavit to end our special dinner.. I always take a sip for good luck, but have not been able to handle a full glass of it... We always reminisce about our last cruise together when DH & I did our ROV on board with our four best Friends in attendance.. Since then I've broken one of my glasses... Must replace it on our next HAL cruise & perhaps get 8 more to give as another gift to someone..

These were the same two Friends I had to convince, along with DH, to cruise with me when we all took our first cruise with them in the early 80's..

We try to find the small Lucite oblong souvenirs that have internally etched designs from the city such as the opera house, bridge, the Rocks in Sydney. The one from Cairo has the pyramids and sphinx.

I'm not picturing this but it sounds lovely. Can you post a picture of one?

• 1 month later...

We collect something unusual (and sometimes hard to find). We look for souvenir wine glasses. Every evening, we pick out a set of glasses for our wine and ask "where are we going tonight?". We reminisce about our visit to that city. Might seem weird, but we love it!