CONCERN about late night captain announcement on Riviera

luchy

Does anybody know what actually happened last night for the captain to make an emergency announcement to all staterooms? A lot of noise and worried people were seen wondering about what he meant by his 'concern about guests and crew's safety' and the fact that we were just at that moment safe to continue the journey. Even more disconcerting, nothing was mentioned about the event by the cruise director in his morning programme. Do guests merit an explanation or was the situation so dangerous that everybody will freak out?

My guess is that the OP wants us all to feel deep concern and worry for the passengers on that ship. Possibly for us to share similar instances. And likely to start an anti-O diatribe because of a scary incident.

I am with others - ask the authorities on the ship, they will tell you. Call security, they will explain.

Wrong guess Toranut! Thanks for the helpful advice community members. The question was really directed to other CC members travelling on the ship. :):)

Edited by luchy
Wrong spelling on name

Wrong guess Toranaut! Thanks for helpful advice community members. The question was really directed to other CC members travelling on the ship. :):)

Sincere apologies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrong guess Toranut! Thanks for the helpful advice community members. The question was really directed to other CC members travelling on the ship. :):)

You may have a better chance of getting an answer by going to reception

You really have me in suspense, what was the reason? You should of figured it out by now.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Still unclear as to what actually happened. According to Reception, 'the captain received a warning from the Greek authorities that the vessel was under threat'. He said that 'after a few hours of following company procedures and protocol and once the captain was sure of the guests and crew's safety' he decided to inform the guests. :confused:

I'm onboard as well and can confirm it's all very vague. Nobody really can explain the situation. Why on earth would the captain, at 11 pm, out of nowhere advise that the ship is safe??? If nothing is wrong and nobody knows something is going on, why on earth advise at such strange time an "important" message telling all is safe??

Honestly this captain is very far from a commucative person belonging, i.m.h.o, to a freight ship instead but this all was a very strange, unclear situation leaving me worried and concerned instead of feeling safe.

Still unclear as to what actually happened. According to Reception, 'the captain received a warning from the Greek authorities that the vessel was under threat'. He said that 'after a few hours of following company procedures and protocol and once the captain was sure of the guests and crew's safety' he decided to inform the guests. :confused:

If Oceania's powers that be are reading this thread, I'd like to share my feelings about this incident based only on what has been shared here:

If Oceania's procedures and protocol have worked and I'm now safe, I don't want to know there was a time when, potentially, I wasn't safe. The only exception to that statement would be if any evasive maneuvers communicated that something unusual was happening. If I had some reason to believe something out of the ordinary was happening as it was happening, I'd expect a reassuring statement afterwards. However, if the event was transparent to 99.9% of the guests in real time, I would prefer that it stay that way.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If Oceania's procedures and protocol have worked and I'm now safe, I don't want to know there was a time when, potentially, I wasn't safe. The only exception to that statement would be if any evasive maneuvers communicated that something unusual was happening. If I had some reason to believe something out of the ordinary was happening as it was happening, I'd expect a reassuring statement afterwards. However, if the event was transparent to 99.9% of the guests in real time, I would prefer that it stay that way.

+1, Exceptionally well said :D

If Oceania's powers that be are reading this thread, I'd like to share my feelings about this incident based only on what has been shared here:

+1 Very very well said.

I'm onboard as well and can confirm it's all very vague. Nobody really can explain the situation. Why on earth would the captain, at 11 pm, out of nowhere advise that the ship is safe??? If nothing is wrong and nobody knows something is going on, why on earth advise at such strange time an "important" message telling all is safe??

Honestly this captain is very far from a commucative person belonging, i.m.h.o, to a freight ship instead but this all was a very strange, unclear situation leaving me worried and concerned instead of feeling safe.

There is a lot of naval activity in the Mediterranean at the moment due to the huge increase in migrant ships trying to reach EU countries. Assuming people smugglers don't publish their itineraries the Greek authorities may have notified the captain of suspect vessels nearby. This is purely a guess on my part.

If even a few passengers noticed some suspect activity or apparent change of course and enquired about it the captain may have decided to inform all passengers. Hence the announcement in order to prevent worry and speculation. This is another guess on my part.

I still maintain that it is better to ask for information on board, even if one is seeking the opinion of CC members, than to post the question on here, if an accurate answer, rather than wild speculation (like my theory!) is the aim.

Lucy/Sprit, who is the captain?