Chichen Itza (CZK8)

Hi everyone ! :)

Is anyone have experience with Eastern Cruise, with Chichen ItzaMayan Ruins excusrions (CZK8) in july, shore excrusion with RC Oasis of the Seas ?

I really want to see one the official wonders of the world and not other mayan ruins like Tulum or San Gervasio...

But I was wondering if it worth it with 6 hours travel ?

On site is this crowded in july ? Is this that HOT ?:eek:

Have you be able to take a great photo with El Castillo in background ?

I mean have you be able to go very close to El Castillo to take a great picture or you cannot approach that closer enough ?...:cool:

Other question : take an oasis of the seas excursions (10h15) VS take an airflight from cozumel and private tour to Chichen Itza (6h) ?

Any experience with private tours and taking air flight from cozumel ?

I know that's way much expensive compare to the OOTS shore excursion (around $300) but I'd like to know about any experience of that to know if it Worth it to spend some more money..

Any recommandations about a company for flight ?:p

Please ??:):cool:

I would not do Chichen Itza as a shore excursion from Cozumel on any line.

The travel time to the mainland and bus time means very little time at the ruins.

As for the temperatures in July: Blasting hot with matching humidity. I also would not do a tour based on air travel during the summer months. There is too much of a chance of the flight being grounded because of thunder storms.

Save Chichen Itza for a time when you are staying somewhere in the Yucatan during the months of November -April and can spend enough time at the site to see it all.

If you want to go to Chichen Itza then book a cruise that stops at Progreso. It is the port that is closest to the ruins. The travel time is still long, but nowhere as long as it is from Cozumel. We went at the end of May and it was super hot.

I would schedule my trip for the winter months instead.

We were able to get great photos of El Castillo and all the pyramids and columns. But, you just cannot climb on any of the pyramids.

FYI the ruins at UXMAL and Dzibchaltun near Progreso are not to be missed. I actually preferred Uxmal over Chichen Itza.

We took Chichen Itza off our bucket list with an excursion from Progreso. It was almost too long on the bus from there. It's hot in November. I can't imagine what it is like in July. There are websites that report ships that visit Progreso in the Fall/spring. It's worth the trip.

I just did chichen itza in October while in Cancun on a land vacation. Based on that experience, I wouldn't risk taking a private tour if you choose to go at all. It is a very long drive whether you leave from Cozumel or Cancun; you are traveling pretty deep into the mainland and there's way too much chance of being delayed and missing the ship. If you do it, do it through the ship (I would normally not take excursions through the ship, but this one I would).

You can get very close to the ruins and get great pictures, but they are roped off so you can't touch or climb them anymore. The tour is usually pretty rushed because of how long the drive is to get there and back. Our trip from cancun (a longer drive I think, 6 hours round trip) we kind of rushed through. In October it was extremely crowded!!!! But it was very much worth going, I took my 12 year old daughter and she loved it and thought the drive was worth it. If you will not be in Mexico again, then I would take the excursion, just do so through the ship to ensure you don't get left behind. If you will be in Mexico on a land vacation anytime soon, wait for that instead.

Oh, and yes, it's extremely hot! Take an umbrella for shade.

We booked a Carnival cruise a few years ago specifically because we wanted to see Chichen Itza. Yes, it's a long round trip bus ride but we thought it was well worth it.

We booked through the cruise line to be on the safe side. We were there in August and it was very hot.

Here is a link to a slide show my wife made for her website with some pictures she took.

Chichen Itza Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

We were told last year the road has been much improved so transit times are better. I second going from Progress and seeing Dzibulch etx, we went mid-Dec and it was perfect. Doesn't answer OP's question tho' !

I think the choice of doing this as a ship's excursion first involves knowing future travel plans. I will never plan to do a land tour to this region at any time in the future.

I chose to do this excursion as well from Oasis as I felt it was good to have a cultural experience on the sailing.

In regards to distance, I had flown over to Miami from Switzerland to join Oasis for the week. The distance of making this excursion was very relative as I did no other excursions on that Oasis sailing.

The RCI excursion is eased as this tour is the first to leave the ship. The ferry over to the mainland is waiting right beside the ship. The other mainland excursions follow you then to the ferry and the boat departs.

Modern technology eased this trip for me as I had connected to my mobile internet with my Ipad and had access to the web for the duration of the day in Mexico.

Sure the trip is long, but the boat over is scenic, there are souvenir sales going on around you and that 45 minutes goes fast.

The guide then walks you up to your bus and it departs for the long journey. We had a great guide that did an introduction and then allowed relax time between speaking each time. Snack food and beverage was provided.

I would have not wanted to spend any more time at the site than we did and I found the tour and guide ideal.

As Labadee is a relaxing beach day and then Falmouth is basically an extra sea day for me, doing this one long day was certainly no problem and the best thing is the ship is just there waiting for this tour to arrive and departs just after the tours arrive back onboard.

You are certainly making the right choice as this specific Myan Ruin is the one that is the most famous around the world.

I have been there twice but both times from Cancun. I think it is a great tour if you have a good guide because the guide will point out all of the items that I would have missed if I did the tour by myself. When I was there I was able to climb the stairs of the pyramid, not sure if this is possible now. Not much to see up there but I can say I did it. It was very very hot and we went over spring break and in October. They fed us at some cenote (sp) which was pretty cool. Some in our tour did swim.

If this will be your only opportunity to visit Chichen Itza, then do it. It's absolutely worth it; what an amazing place. I went there on a day trip from Riviera Maya (so not on a cruise) and yes it's a long drive but as I said, worth it. Especially if you'll have a tour guide to explain things. And yes...it will be very hot!! :eek:

I just did chichen itza in October while in Cancun on a land vacation. Based on that experience, I wouldn't risk taking a private tour if you choose to go at all. It is a very long drive whether you leave from Cozumel or Cancun; you are traveling pretty deep into the mainland and there's way too much chance of being delayed and missing the ship. If you do it, do it through the ship (I would normally not take excursions through the ship, but this one I would).

You can get very close to the ruins and get great pictures, but they are roped off so you can't touch or climb them anymore. The tour is usually pretty rushed because of how long the drive is to get there and back. Our trip from cancun (a longer drive I think, 6 hours round trip) we kind of rushed through. In October it was extremely crowded!!!! But it was very much worth going, I took my 12 year old daughter and she loved it and thought the drive was worth it. If you will not be in Mexico again, then I would take the excursion, just do so through the ship to ensure you don't get left behind. If you will be in Mexico on a land vacation anytime soon, wait for that instead.

Oh, and yes, it's extremely hot! Take an umbrella for shade.

Thank you ColoradoGurl fro your reply !

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to come to Mexico one day..

So it is probably my 1st & only chance to see this wonders of the world...

My 15 years old son also want to see it but worried about those 6 hours of travel for just 1 hour visiting the ruins...

But I think we will take the chance to do it despite all travel time..

We booked a Carnival cruise a few years ago specifically because we wanted to see Chichen Itza. Yes, it's a long round trip bus ride but we thought it was well worth it.

We booked through the cruise line to be on the safe side. We were there in August and it was very hot.

Here is a link to a slide show my wife made for her website with some pictures she took.

Chichen Itza Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

Waow so great photos JimAOk1945 !!!

I hope I would take some as beautiful as yours ! ;)

Thank you so much for sharing this ! I really want to go there now ! ;)

Thank you ColoradoGurl fro your reply !

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to come to Mexico one day..

So it is probably my 1st & only chance to see this wonders of the world...

My 15 years old son also want to see it but worried about those 6 hours of travel for just 1 hour visiting the ruins...

But I think we will take the chance to do it despite all travel time..

There are flights from Playa Del Carmen or Cozumel in small planes to an airport near the ruins. You will be able to do more than 1 hour there. No way I would ride 6 hours in a bus...

jc

I think the choice of doing this as a ship's excursion first involves knowing future travel plans. I will never plan to do a land tour to this region at any time in the future.

I chose to do this excursion as well from Oasis as I felt it was good to have a cultural experience on the sailing.

In regards to distance, I had flown over to Miami from Switzerland to join Oasis for the week. The distance of making this excursion was very relative as I did no other excursions on that Oasis sailing.

The RCI excursion is eased as this tour is the first to leave the ship. The ferry over to the mainland is waiting right beside the ship. The other mainland excursions follow you then to the ferry and the boat departs.

Modern technology eased this trip for me as I had connected to my mobile internet with my Ipad and had access to the web for the duration of the day in Mexico.

Sure the trip is long, but the boat over is scenic, there are souvenir sales going on around you and that 45 minutes goes fast.

The guide then walks you up to your bus and it departs for the long journey. We had a great guide that did an introduction and then allowed relax time between speaking each time. Snack food and beverage was provided.

I would have not wanted to spend any more time at the site than we did and I found the tour and guide ideal.

As Labadee is a relaxing beach day and then Falmouth is basically an extra sea day for me, doing this one long day was certainly no problem and the best thing is the ship is just there waiting for this tour to arrive and departs just after the tours arrive back onboard.

You are certainly making the right choice as this specific Myan Ruin is the one that is the most famous around the world.

Thank you MADflyer for sharing !

Yeah I think I will only do Chichen Itza shore excursion, but I'd like also to do Dunn's Rive falls in Falmouth.. And you're right in Labadee, simply relax..:cool:

Great tip for internet connection for waiting time travel in Mexico.. but I hope it will works with an prepaid mobile card..:confused:

I was afraid that there it would be so crowded as you can see on the photo attached... and won't be able to be close enough to El Castillo in order to take a great photo with El Castillo in background not so far...

1458869_5_be35_fete-de-l-equinoxe-autour-de-la-pyramide-el.jpg.8da793c7fa5cccf78b3ea49971dc6de4.jpg

There are flights from Playa Del Carmen or Cozumel in small planes to an airport near the ruins. You will be able to do more than 1 hour there. No way I would ride 6 hours in a bus...

jc

Yes thank you xpcdoojk !

About that, have you experienced any flights companies ?

Waow so great photos JimAOk1945 !!!

I hope I would take some as beautiful as yours ! ;)

Thank you so much for sharing this ! I really want to go there now ! ;)

I'm glad you liked the slide show. Actually, my wife is the one with the talent. She takes all the pictures that you see on her website. She started with a little point and shoot and as her experienced progressed she started using a SLR and lenses.

You will have a great cruise! Have fun, relax, and take pictures with whatever type of camera you are comfortable with. Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm glad you liked the slide show. Actually, my wife is the one with the talent. She takes all the pictures that you see on her website. She started with a little point and shoot and as her experienced progressed she started using a SLR and lenses.

You will have a great cruise! Have fun, relax, and take pictures with whatever type of camera you are comfortable with. Happy cruising!

Your wife is so talented JimAOk1945 !

I will ! I can't wait boarding OOTS ! ;):cool:

Your wife is so talented JimAOk1945 !

I will ! I can't wait boarding OOTS ! ;):cool:

I can feel your excitement coming through my computer monitor! :D:p

If you have time when you get back, I hope you can start a thread and post a report about your cruise. I would be very interested in reading about it. We haven't cruised on that ship yet but hope to in the future.

I know others have posted reviews and reports but there is always people that enjoy reading about the recent happenings on that ship.

Wishing you smooth sailing and calm seas!

Edited by JimAOk1945