Questions for the Oasis Experts !

Andy

Hi Everyone,

We've just booked Oasis for next month. I've been wanting to sail on an Oasis class ship since their debut.... and we are finally making it happen :)

A few questions please :

1. Is there anything you would highly recommend booking in advance for onboard activities - i.e. shows, specialty dining, anything else ? We have what we hoped for in MDR Dining - so we're good on that one. We're also not interested in excursions, as we plan to stay on the ship, due to Mom's age.

2. If you were to choose two specialty dining meals on Oasis, which 2 restaurants would you recommend the most ? We're particularly interested in feedback on Chops.

3. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Cat B1 and B2 ? Seems like just the price to me :) What am I missing ? Also, do you feel the Boardwalk view veranda cabin is a good choice ?

4. As we are currently booked in B2, (we could change it) we would be in the more forward part of the section (more towards the mid-ship). Would the Boardwalk View be compromised if we were at one of the ends ?

5. If you could choose a B1 or B2 on Decks 9, 10 or 12, is there a better choice ? Would you avoid any of these decks ?

6. As we have assigned dining, and there's more than 1 MDR venue, do you have a recommendation on asking for a particular dining room ? Is there any dining room to avoid ?

I know that our Cruise Critic members are the very best, and hope you can help a Oasis newbie :) Thanks very much in advance !

Edited by Host Andy

I would book all your entertainment in advance. This will give you the option to enter the show venue early and have the best choice of seats. The comedy venue is very small and you may have a tough time getting in without reservations.

When can I start booking shows? Cruise planner on Website does not give me any options, says later or on ship????

There is no set time for show reservations to open. Keep checking the website periodically.

2. If you were to choose two specialty dining meals on Oasis, which 2 restaurants would you recommend the most ? We're particularly interested in feedback on Chops.

A lot of people overlook the Solarium Bistro, and I think that is a mistake on their part. My wife and I had a "date night" there last month and she is still talking about how awesome it was. It's only $20 per person and is healthier options than some of the other restaurants but we still thought that the food was really good. :)

Hi Everyone,

We've just booked Oasis for next month. I've been wanting to sail on an Oasis class ship since their debut.... and we are finally making it happen :)

A few questions please :

1. Is there anything you would highly recommend booking in advance for onboard activities - i.e. shows, specialty dining, anything else ? We have what we hoped for in MDR Dining - so we're good on that one. We're also not interested in excursions, as we plan to stay on the ship, due to Mom's age.

3. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Cat B1 and B2 ? Seems like just the price to me :) What am I missing ? Also, do you feel the Boardwalk view veranda cabin is a good choice ?

4. As we are currently booked in B2, (we could change it) we would be in the more forward part of the section (more towards the mid-ship). Would the Boardwalk View be compromised if we were at one of the ends ?

5. If you could choose a B1 or B2 on Decks 9, 10 or 12, is there a better choice ? Would you avoid any of these decks ?

6. As we have assigned dining, and there's more than 1 MDR venue, do you have a recommendation on asking for a particular dining room ? Is there any dining room to avoid ?

I know that our Cruise Critic members are the very best, and hope you can help a Oasis newbie :) Thanks very much in advance !

Since you are only a month out all times my already be reserved. Keep trying, but for most shows you should get in in the standby line. Comedy show is the only one that is tough for that. But get in line fairly early.

As for cabin, the farther aft you go the better the view of the ocean and Aqua Theater. Not a big deal, just a "thing." We were in 12305 and it was fine. 2 decks below sports deck so no noise from above. Was more forward, but I liked to sit on balcony and people watch. It was almost below landing area for zipline, so that was kind of fun. As for difference between B1 and B2, there is no difference between cabins, but I think B1's have an extra bed for a 3rd passenger. So if there is just 2 of you, don't pay extra unless the location is worth it to you.

As for the Boardwalk, I liked it, but will likely stay with Ocean views. You really don't have any privacy, and you can get noise from events at Aquatheater, but not too bad. They did an70's dance party until midnight, but I liked watching from balcony, and it was only one night. Otherwise the cabin was pretty soundproof. And as I said, I liked sitting on the balcony watching the people. But still like Ocean view better. I also liked deck 12. Convenient to pool and sports decks. I think deck 9 is a bit too low. But that's just me. I'd get whichever deck offers best cabin location. Deck 9 is convenient to Central Park though.

My favorite specialty dining is 150 Central Park. More expensive and adventurous, but we really enjoyed it. Best with wine pairing, but my wife and i split one pairing so we wouldn't over drink. They were very easy about it and brought the wine in two glasses, half a pour each. But it was plenty for each course for us.

Chops is declining in their menu. Still nice, but not sure it's still worth it. We last did it on Quantum in Feb. Sort of agreed we were likely not doing it anymore. Check their menu and decide. Value of food is very personal and subjective.

Think about Giovanni's for lunch. Cheaper, a bit more limited, but a very nice meal.

Haven't been on board since dry dock so don't know about MDR.

Be sure to take a late night stroll through Central Park.

70's Party on Promenade is great fun.

Realize you can't "do it all" in 7 nights.

Best advice, have a great time.

Edited by papaflamingo

We just returned from our cruise and were in 12729. My parents were in 12727. Both of these were excellent options for the Boardwalk experience. We enjoyed watching the diving shows and could see the ocean from our balcony. To me, this would be the prime Boardwalk location - we never had sun on our balcony, and we were completely sheltered from the rain. We also had more of a breeze on the balcony than even the balcony next to us!

If the price is right, we would rather have an oceanview balcony in the future, since we enjoy the sound of the ocean, rather than the activity and noise of the Boardwalk. I would recommend the boardwalk experience one time though. I agree that the only difference we found between B1 and B2 is the occupancy.

I will write a review with tips in about a week, after we return home. Enjoy your cruise!:)

When you go to see CATS, sit in the first few rows on the end seat. The Cats come down the middle aisle. We sat in the front row and enjoyed the show. We heard many people left before it was over. We could see the incredible make up on the cast.

We had wonderful meals at Giovanni's. We celebrated my DH birthday at Giovanni's and they did a fabulous job even brought us a cake.

We also enjoyed Chops, although DH is the meat eater. I did not have meat as an entrée.

Since we had a gold card we were able to eat dinners in Coastal Kitchen. We felt it was excellent.

Enjoy!

Giovannis and Solarium Bistro were our favorites, we haven't

been very happy with chops the last few cruises so have crossed that off our list.

I would try to get reservations for the comedy club as that is a small

venue and fills up with those who pre-booked, make sure you try the rising tide bar we enjoyed that.

Hi Everyone,

We've pre-booked the shows, and a couple of specialty dining venues. I think we're in pretty good shape !

BTW, any comments on Izumi ? Would you recommend it ? I tried calling RCCL today, and received conflicting pricing information. On their website, I see a fixed price, and I also see prices for certain menu items.

Can I presume it's a fixed price for the Hibachi, and certain other items are a la carte, with a surcharge ?

Thanks again for the very helpful feedback !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

We've pre-booked the shows, and a couple of specialty dining venues. I think we're in pretty good shape !

BTW, any comments on Izumi ? Would you recommend it ? I tried calling RCCL today, and received conflicting pricing information. On their website, I see a fixed price, and I also see prices for certain menu items.

Can I presume it's a fixed price for the Hibachi, and certain other items are a la carte, with a surcharge ?

Thanks again for the very helpful feedback !

Here is a fairly recent Izumi menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45836042&postcount=12

Must try Vintages in Central Park! Wonderful, relaxing and quiet atmosphere with fantastic tapas to go with a glass or two of wine. I remember being disappointed that I didn't discover this hidden gem until the fifth day!! Been on the Oasis/Allure three times since and it's a never miss😃

Thank you all for your replies. If you have any other tips for Oasis newbies, I'd greatly appreciate it !

1. Check out deck 14 forward. It is only accessible by going through the stateroom corridor on the port side.

2. Check out deck 5 aft. Great place to watch a docking or sailaway.

When can I start booking shows? Cruise planner on Website does not give me any options, says later or on ship????

I'm going to answer this one based on two trips on Allure and that was 2011 and 2013 and things might have changed! In 2013 I was very active in our roll call and when it came to reservations, I poked my head into several Allure and several Oasis roll calls to see if people were reserving. What I found is both ships follow the same procedure, but it appears to be done by an individual on each ship and he may not do it the exact same day.

Whomever was doing this back then would open up several sailings for that ship at once. As a result, the bookings for my late April sailing opened the same date as the 2 weeks ahead of me. For me that was like 60 days ahead, but for the group at the beginning of the month it was closer to 45. I'll start watching again this winter.

Edited by BillOh

I'm going to answer this one based on two trips on Allure and that was 2011 and 2013 and things might have changed! In 2013 I was very active in our roll call and when it came to reservations, I poked my head into several Allure and several Oasis roll calls to see if people were reserving. What I found is both ships follow the same procedure, but it appears to be done by an individual on each ship and he may not do it the exact same day.

Whomever was doing this back then would open up several sailings for that ship at once. As a result, the bookings for my late April sailing opened the same date as the 2 weeks ahead of me. For me that was like 60 days ahead, but for the group at the beginning of the month it was closer to 45. I'll start watching again this winter.

It worked the same way for our Oasis cruise in September. On the same day our entertainment opened. other sailings several weeks before and after our sailing opened.

It worked the same way for our Oasis cruise in September. On the same day our entertainment opened. other sailings several weeks before and after our sailing opened.

I pulled a bone headed move I learned a lesson from then. When our Allure reservations opened, I mentioned in the Oasis roll call that left the day before that reservations were open. Turns out Oasis opened about 4 days later. :o I had been communicating with that group because I had planned on being on the beach when they sailed away. (That was a fun time)