carry on drink question

shof515

I just off a NCL cruise and they didnt say anything about my 12 pack of Fruit2O water bottles and i taken this same 12 pack on 4 other carnival ships before :mad:

The key word here is "before". It sucks for some people, but rules change. I wouldn't be surprised to see other cruise lines doing this in the future to help speed embarkation.

this is absolutely false

False is false.

From FoodEditorial.com

Bottled Water May Be Tap Water

You will probably be surprised to learn that they get at least 25% of our bottled water right from the tap. Bottlers simply bottle the local tap water, label it, and ship it off to stores. Sometimes they treat it first – sometimes they don’t. We consumers pay up to 10,000 times more per gallon for bottled water than we would pay for tap water.

What disreputable bottler would get bottled water from a tap?

1. The Coca Cola company – for "Dasani" bottled water. Coca Cola admits this.

2. The Pepsi Cola Company – for "Aquafina" bottled water. Apparently, Pepsi is not required to tell you this on the label.

Most bottled water is processed with filters and other treatments, but you should read labels carefully. Bottled water that is packaged as "purified" or "drinking water" probably is tap water, and unless it was "substantially" altered, the label must tell you that. However, as noted above regarding the Pepsi Cola Company, sometimes a bottler can get away without telling you.

Entire article is here.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/beverages/beverages/where_do_they_get_bottled_water.html

Since you and I dont know what type of water they are using, I will agree to disagree. I think they are using their own water which they are filtering and treating themselves which would be cleaner than normal tap water in my opinion.

Since you and I dont know what type of water they are using, I will agree to disagree. I think they are using their own water which they are filtering and treating themselves which would be cleaner than normal tap water in my opinion.

Of course they do. Haven't you seen their new bottling and packaging system they have just installed on each ship?:rolleyes:

problem is that the people taking cruises decided to break rules like a child so Carnival needed to do this. I assume they will continue to add these type of rules until people decide to follow the rules.

smugglers are to blame for this.

Think about it, if we smuggle, drink too much and fall overboard, carnival is liable. Yes this rule is due to the many who choose to break it. Carnival didn't establish this to stop your water from being brought on.

Think about it, if we smuggle, drink too much and fall overboard, carnival is liable. Yes this rule is due to the many who choose to break it. Carnival didn't establish this to stop your water from being brought on.

But this assumes that the water shaking doesn't work... It does.

I really doubt that carried on water bottles amount for even 10-15% of the smuggled alcohol. Rum Runners, water bottles in checked luggage, other hollow fake products, and simply putting sealed bottles of booze in checked luggage accounts for the lion's share of smuggling these days. And this new policy does nothing to stop that.

Plus, I would think that if they wanted to stop people from drinking too much they would also stop their program that allows a person to drink 15 Long Island Ice Teas in 3 1/2 hours, and the program that allows you to buy 2 liters of alcohol and consume it all in one night if you want.

But they didn't change those programs.

No, I think it's mostly about selling more water. They offer a great price for purchased water, AT THE ONSET, and people are happy to do it. Then they simply start raising the price a dollar this month, a dollar 6 months later, and the next thing you know it's $9.99 a 12 pack and Carnival's profits have gone way up. I have heard that this strategy works well for boiling a frog... :) Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant plan, but it's not about smuggled alcohol in carryons.

Now they ARE correct about the time needed to shake water bottles and how it slows down embarkation. But I will bet you dollars to donuts that they will have to inspect cans as well. Pretty sure the inspection time will be a wash. If not, you will see just as much smuggled alcohol in cans as that is easy to do also.

But that's just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

It has been my experience if someone wants to break the rules they will. Rule followers, like myself, will continue to follow the rules. None of this spoils my vacation. I did find the following items amusing....I also saw a walking cane that could be filled up. It held an amazing amount of fluid.

The Body Flasks

Just when you thought you saw it all...There are many types of body flasks out there, but here are the down falls:

1) Your alcohol will get warm very fast when it is attached to your body.

2) No plastic pouch is leak proof, leaving you at risk of looking like you wet yourself.

3) They are more expensive and do not hold that much liquid (besides the Beer Belly).

All that being said it looks like a lot of fun and might be worth the amount of amusement you get from it.

Here are some of the Body Flask options out there:

beer_belly_body_flask.jpg

Beer Belly - Holds 80 ounces - Cost: $34.54

wine_rack_body_flask.jpg

Wine Rack - Holds 25 ounces - Cost: $29.95

Problem is this new rule treats me like a child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carnival needs to treat everyone like kids, because of the bad behavior found on the ship. Cheap cruise, smuggling, equals one giant party. Other cruise lines will treat you like an adult, but than they don't have the same reputation.

Unless the water is name brand spring water, the water you are buying is the same water you were drinking out of the hose during a hot summer day after

Mowing the lawn.

The water we purchased from Bon Voyage and was delivered to our cabin on May 9 and May 16 listed the source as Ginnie Springs, FL.

But this assumes that the water shaking doesn't work... It does.

But it also requires someone to shake 24 bottles for each 2 person cabin to see if they have alcohol or not. That takes time.

While they are of course still making money on water at $3 per 12 pack, I'd say that's a rather small portion of their revenue stream. I think they didn't want to hassle of dealing with smugglers, so they banned the water and made it cheap to buy from them.

Fair enough, in my view. The amount you could save over their price by buying your own water isn't worth the effort of having to lug it around as a carry-on anyway.

Blame your fellow pax. If no one was smuggling alcohol in plastic bottles this wouldn't be an issue.

The many are being punished for the activities of a few.

I agree, spend 20 minutes on youtube and see how to smuggle...from filling water bottels in sealed bottles, from swapping out the wine contents with booze then recorking the bottle. Resealing packaing to shrink wrap packages and on and on.

It is a big game to get things on board, so I applaud CCL to take this step. Is there a small pecentage of people who will be upset with the restrictions on their favorite beverage, absolutly. That is a calculated risk. I'm more irritated that I can't restock a few bottels on the island or probably bring back partial bottels onboard after a day off the ship.

This is the classic mouse and mousetrap scenario...I see the downside being people trying to load that much more into their checked luggage which could delay delievery of luggae even more.

Carnival needs to treat everyone like kids, because of the bad behavior found on the ship. Cheap cruise, smuggling, equals one giant party. Other cruise lines will treat you like an adult, but than they don't have the same reputation.

After 8 cruises on Carnival ships I have yet to see this "bad behavior" or the "giant party". Yes, an occasional over indulger but not that bad. Reputation does not necessarily equal truth.

Of course there is the expensive, family cruise line, Disney, which allows you to take all the booze you want pretty much. I once watched one guy board with a portable hand truck stacked with cases of beer. I've seen some real drunks on their ships, so which is worse, smuggled or wide open overload?

I don't smuggle, don't concern about people who do, and personally, I have no problem with this new rule.

Not looking for an argument, just my 2 cents.;)

Wow.. that's very disappointing. I was able to bring on the ship in all of my cruises. The ships dont carry flavor water like Fruit2O or Lifewater

THESE work great in any water. Easy to pack, allowed and a couple of the CRAN-POMEGRANATE and its just as good as one from concentrate for mixed drinks. :D

1093775192_4casst.jpg.ac21fda3cadb8d6955a9398a584a250f.jpg

Blame your fellow pax. If no one was smuggling alcohol in plastic bottles this wouldn't be an issue.

The many are being punished for the activities of a few.

Children don't usually smuggle in gin and vodka in their water bottles.

I had the Carnival bottled water last week and it is NOT the same water that comes from the taps on the ships. That water is desalinated but still contains a lot of sodium - the bottled water was pure water. And it tasted good too! Not that Carnival tap doesn't taste good - I have always enjoyed it, but I do feel that I did not retain as much fluid by drinking mostly the bottled water on the ship.

I just off a NCL cruise and they didnt say anything about my 12 pack of Fruit2O water bottles and i taken this same 12 pack on 4 other carnival ships before :mad:

People keep pointing out that the NEW rule goes into effect July 9 ... so yes, in the past you might have carried bottles onto Carnival but that's no longer the case. :cool:

Fruit20 DOES make single serve powdered packets available at grocery stores where the Kool-Aid is. :)

You can pre-order a 12 pack/packs of plain water to be delivered to your stateroom for $2.99 per 12 pack pre-order or for $4.99 per 12 pack once aboard.

Seems like a reasonable substitute to me. :-)

Edited by summersigh

Are we allowed to bring liquid water enhancers like MIO or Dasani Drops on board?

Yes you are allowed to bring those or if preferred the individual serving powdered ones like Crystal Light. DH brings them all the time and the best part is those little liquid drop bottles do not count towards your carry-on beverage allotment.

Wow another fun thread on the great water debate. Just remember, if Carnival passengers behaved themselves, than they would be treated as adults, but apparently, the water bottles became such an issue that they, meaning Carnival, had to take corrective actions. As soon as everyone behaves themselves, maybe they will lift some restrictions. By the way, Carnival is the only cruise line that needs to take these actions.....makes for some funny stories.