Add a second passenger?

Eddie4Paws

Hi. I have a single cabin booked for October 29 on the Star. Does anyone know if I can add a second person (previous Princess cruiser) in my cabin. I know that fare/port charges, etc, will apply, however I'm curious if Princess will allow this to be done. Anyone have any information about this? Thanks!

I know you can add (or remove) a 2nd passenger after booking a cruise but I don't know if you can after final payment. There's normally a $50 charge to change a passenger name after final payment but I don't know if it would apply in this case.

Best thing to do is to check with your TA. If they do allow the 2nd passenger, your cost as a single would go down by a LOT (since as a single you're paying 60 - 95% of the full cost of the cabin, i.e., 2 people) and your cabinmate would pay the same amount you wind up paying for the cruise. I don't know whether the cost of the cruise would be recalculated based on current rates or whether it's based on the rate at the time you booked. (For example, when you booked, the cabin might have cost $1000pp but as a single, you paid $1750 for the cabin. The current rate for that cabin could now be $1500pp so that to add a 2nd person, your rate might go up to $1500 with the cabinmate also paying $1500. I dunno.) Something else to check with your TA.

I also agree that you probably won't have any problems, but I suspect the price will change to the current double rate. If the current rate is lower than your original rate though, I would bet that your "per person" rate won't drop.

BTW, I also would like to know the outcome of this. Please post your results (and whatever pricing policy info you find out along the way).

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with my TA and he said that even though the ship was totally booked, additional passengers are based on life boat space available. I had absolutely no problem booking the second person in my cabin, and the fare stayed the same. This is always good to know. Thanks to all of you for your input. :)

Eddie4paws. Terrific! Can you clarify the fare staying the same? As in what you originally paid for a single now covers two? OR your friend booked at the same fare that applied when you booked, (the one you originally paid some 150-190% of)? Did you get a refund and your friend pays the same as you? I know this is awfully nosy of me, but this sort of question pops up regularly and we all would love to know the real answer. Thanks!

Eddie4paws. Terrific! Can you clarify the fare staying the same? As in what you originally paid for a single now covers two? OR your friend booked at the same fare that applied when you booked, (the one you originally paid some 150-190% of)? Did you get a refund and your friend pays the same as you? I know this is awfully nosy of me, but this sort of question pops up regularly and we all would love to know the real answer. Thanks!

My sister was able to book at the original rate for a double cabin. Since she's my OLDER sister who JUST turned 50 :D , I asked her only to make up the difference from the 150% (single supplement) that I originally paid. Sort of a birthday gift.

So, in answer to your original question, the fare stayed the same. And, nothing nosy about asking..that's what these boards are for. :)

My experience has been: Price for the cabin is the same for one or two - price is "per cabin." There is no reduction because only one is in the cabin. There is additional cost for third person - but it's not very much additional cost.

Port fees are another issue. If there is one person in the cabin, there is one port fee - if there are two - there are two port fees, etc.

Eddie, thanks for the response, I now know more about pricing when converting a single with supplement into a double booking.

1cat4jan, your experience is reflective of your lovely taste in accomodations. The published single supplement for balcony cabins and higher (usually) is 200% of the individual fare and it is 150% for most OV and insides, per the brochure fine print. But many posters have reported paying other percentages, perhaps due to TA perks, group bookings, miscellaneous sales, flash pricing, etc. Pam In MA just reported a fare last week of 160% for her single rate. You are absolutely correct that port fees should not be charged twice, but that has also been a source of problems, and perhaps, the source of confusion on the calculated rate and percentage.

Cheryl... sometimes I pay 160% of the per-person rate, sometimes it's 200%. I'm paying about 175% for my Island Princess cruise and the 200% (but I pay the govt, port fees and insurance for only one person) for my Sea Princess cruise. I haven't taken the time to try to figure out the rhyme or reason why the different percentages since both are 14/15 day cruises.

When I've added a 2nd person to the cabin, the price for the cabin has remained the same and each of us has paid the per-person cost. If you've booked using a Future Cruise Credit, the additional person only has to pay the $100 down. At least that's what happened to me.

While I'm sympathetic to the people traveling with small children who have to pay a fare for them, I have less sympathy when they whine that their kids don't eat, drink or enjoy the entertainment and thus should go for free or for a lot less. I pay almost full price for a phantom passenger and budget for the additional cost of cruising single in a cabin; if I can't afford it, I don't go.

Hey, don't forget THIS sister on your next cruise! ;) I want to go too!

Hey, Gloria! How've you been? I see that you were able to make up for your December Sun Princess cancellation. I'm glad that things worked out for you.

Sorry..but I doubt there is anyone else walking/cruising this planet who can be everything to me that my sister is. :)

however, I should've - knowing that hardly anyone pays the same for their cabin as their next door neighbor. Pricing for cruising is kinda like flying where there are almost more prices than seats. LOL

Thanks for the info.

Posted by Cheryl&TK:

The published single supplement for balcony cabins and higher (usually) is 200% of the individual fare and it is 150% for most OV and insides, per the brochure fine print.

I actually just added my friend to my cabin before reading this thread. There was no problem, and i had already made final payment. I find Princess offers much better rates for singles in a cabin, I almost always pay 150% but it is usually and inside or outside, not balcony. I have looked into buying a single on rccl and celebrity and it was usually 200%. In adding my friend we just had to add the cost if it had been the two of us and then we worked out the difference.

I recently added a 2nd passenger to my balcony cabin for a Celebrity 2006 cruise, and I had to pay the current rate for the cabin (as opposed to the rate as it stood 5 months ago when I originally booked as a single) ... :mad:

The per-passenger rate had gone up $200 ... so my total cruise cost increased by $400, plus the additional port charges for passenger #2. Last year I added a second passenger to an eastern Caribbean itinerary and did not encounter the same cost increase (only the additional charges for port and tax) ...

My only thought is that this is an Alaskan itinerary (notoriously costly), and I have since seen the price steadily increasing almost monthly.

Archived