TA or without TA that is the question?

We-R-Off

When booking a future cruise OB, is their any advantage or disadvantage of the booking being transferred to a TA?

So far I have found that any queries or changes that have to be done - the TA consults with Celebrity & gets back to me a little later with the reply.

If I don't use the TA I can get reply direct from Celebrity immediately, without the middleman.

If cruises are not booked OB, it could it be that the TA have specials to encourage custom, sacrificing perhaps some of their commission & hoping to get the custom for flight deals, so cruises could be offered cheaper than the Celebrity prices?

I understand once, that when prices fell after final payment the TA could get OBC or upgrading. Do they have this advantage, or is it the same without a TA?

Am I missing something, should I always have a TA to back me up.

Thanks

We checked with our TA before we sailed to see if they'd offer more incentives for us to allow any onboard booking to be transferred to them. They offered us additional OBC which they have since added to our booking. Not sure if they can do anything more if the price falls as we haven't been in that situation.

This is a very personal choice. I have used TAs 2 times and it was a very negative experience for me as they were never available for an immediate answer when I wanted/needed an answer. Other cruisers always book with a TA. I don't need their perks even if it is OBC. I need service when I need it, not tomorrow or the next day. We are Elite+ with Celebrity and thus Diamond with Royal and have also sailed with Princess and NCL so you can see we are not without experience cruising. Again, very personal choice and you will need to decide what is more important to you.

We've found several advantages to a TA, if you find the right one. We use a national membership warehouse, book by phone.

- OBC is a big reason, varies of course by price of what you book. We usually get at least $300 (refunded on board to a credit card at the end of the trip if unused.)

- Very good quality trip insurance offered at a reasonable price.

- Lower price sometimes

- Other amenities included sometimes, such as specialty dinners or special events for members. Some agencies may offer gratuities, Bev Package, etc. We don't shop around but you can easily do the math, find the true net rate, and compare offers.

- Often the agents are more knowledgable and better at getting fast answers than some of the phone-answerers at cruiselines. We've secured price reductions several times that way.

- Cut your own deal and then transfer to get the extra benefits. Example: we came back from a December cruise and got a Welcome Back X email for an OBC to entice a new booking. Then got an X email offering $25 deposits for 25th anniversary. Booked a cruise with 123Go, got the extra OBC, switched it to the agency, received their offerings too.

But sad to say, many local Mom and Pop agencies may not be able to do much or any OBC. And from our experience, the knowledge, advice or service may be minimal these days. Some will charge you a nonrefundable fee when you book.

To me, trust is an issue, and I might hesitate to deal with some online agencies, though others seem happy with them.. On the HAL forum, someone has reported being cheated by a local New Jersey agency (used by the family for decades) after paying by check. Use a credit card no matter who you deal with, so you have some recourse.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

[To me, trust is an issue, and I might hesitate to deal with some online agencies, though others seem happy with them.. On the HAL forum, someone has reported being cheated by a local New Jersey agency (used by the family for decades) after paying by check. Use a credit card no matter who you deal with, so you have some recourse.]

I read those posts here. Did she post both places?

At this point I prefer to book directly with the cruise lines as I like control over my booking. We only can sail on 7 day itineraries at this point so the discounts being offered from online agencies are not that enticing. If I was interested in a long cruise or a group cruise I would probably seek out a TA. I'm also not one to book on board the cruise ship as I can't be locked into a trip so far in advanced without being able to get my deposit back.

The key is finding a good TA. We love ours..She used to actually own the company at 1 time, sold it, and stayed on as an agent. I can email her and she replies back right away..even on her days off. On our AQUA class room we got the 1.2.3. go promo, same price that Celebrity was offering..plus $500 OBC back from her. I have found better deals by a bit from other TAs..but I trust her and we like her personal touch. When dealing with a TA, ensure the $$$ (credit card) goes directly to the cruise line--if not run!!

Some people either cannot handle their own reservations or do not want to be bothered. Witness my neighbor, a fan of Cunard. He books his cruises through the major automobile agency in the USA and gets no benefits. When I asked him why he did this, he responded that his agent was on a first name basis with the cruise line and that impressed him. So, several years ago, I checked his cabin class on line and found that the price was $1000 lower for him and his wife than what he was paying. He was most appreciative and had his agent make the adjustment. The point is, he had to initiate the action and only when I pursued it with him. Yet, on subsequent cruises, he still uses the same agent, proving you can lead a horse to water but...

DW and I do not require help with plane or car reservations; we make our own hotel arrangements, too. All we want from an agent is the best possible price and credits. I know there are many like us and we must be an agent's dream.

The one and only reason I book through a TA is for the perks, which can add up substantially. Otherwise, I can book on my own. We use two very knowledgeable and capable TA's. If perks ever disappeared when booking through them, bye bye TA for me.

Edited by nyfeds

I go to an online agency that bids for your business. They come up with their best offer and you can compare apples to apples what each is offering. I then go to our usual wonderful TA and see if she can bet the best offer or not.

I'm also not one to book on board the cruise ship as I can't be locked into a trip so far in advanced without being able to get my deposit back.

If you're in the US, the deposits for cruises booked on board are fully refundable (as long as you defer the OBC to the future cruise and don't take it on your current cruise.)

I had a fairly good TA for our first cruise...she really didn't have to do much - I already knew exactly what I wanted, but when I had a question, she'd reply back within 24 hrs or sooner. I booked the 2nd onboard and was hoping to use her again, but her agency wasn't offering much in the way of incentives, while almost every other TA was. So I tried a diff one.

Not too happy. I'm stuck with her on this booking, but never again. Takes 1-2 weeks to get back to me. I have to constantly follow up with multiple emails to request corrections to reservation errors (that were on her end.) I'm missing OBC I had before transferring booking, now disappeared. I've wasted so much time on what should have been a very simple, straightfwd transfer. I get the feeling I'm at the bottom of the priority list - she works for a very high volume online agency and I'm not a suite, aqua or high end cruise customer quite yet.

Live and learn. (At least I have a legit booking. I also read that thread about the scamming TA and feel so badly for that family.)

When we book a cruise it's pretty much a definite for us, so unless there's an extreme emergency, we're going. Therefore, we really don't need to adjust things.

Whether we book right with the cruise line or with the online TA, we always get the cruise's perks AND the perks from the TA.

It's true, we might not be able to get in touch quite as easily, particularly on a weekend, but considering we rarely have to do that, the additional perks, which can be substantial, are definitely worth it. We have no *need* of help from a TA - we are independent and do things ourselves but love the extras we get from them.

When we started cruising twenty years ago we used a couple of full service walk-in TA's. After we learned the ropes and didn't them to hold our hands we discovered that the web offered much better pricing. Once Royal and X stopped letting TA's undercut their rates we settled on one large online outfit that throws in free grats. Been using them for about 10 years now with no problems. If something urgent comes up and my rep isn't available I can speak immediately with a customer service rep. Very reassuring. Can't think of any reason to book directly with X.

We've found several advantages to a TA, if you find the right one. We use a national membership warehouse, book by phone.

- OBC is a big reason, varies of course by price of what you book. We usually get at least $300 (refunded on board to a credit card at the end of the trip if unused.)

- Very good quality trip insurance offered at a reasonable price.

- Lower price sometimes

- Other amenities included sometimes, such as specialty dinners or special events for members. Some agencies may offer gratuities, Bev Package, etc. We don't shop around but you can easily do the math, find the true net rate, and compare offers.

- Often the agents are more knowledgable and better at getting fast answers than some of the phone-answerers at cruiselines. We've secured price reductions several times that way.

- Cut your own deal and then transfer to get the extra benefits. Example: we came back from a December cruise and got a Welcome Back X email for an OBC to entice a new booking. Then got an X email offering $25 deposits for 25th anniversary. Booked a cruise with 123Go, got the extra OBC, switched it to the agency, received their offerings too.

But sad to say, many local Mom and Pop agencies may not be able to do much or any OBC. And from our experience, the knowledge, advice or service may be minimal these days. Some will charge you a nonrefundable fee when you book.

To me, trust is an issue, and I might hesitate to deal with some online agencies, though others seem happy with them.. On the HAL forum, someone has reported being cheated by a local New Jersey agency (used by the family for decades) after paying by check. Use a credit card no matter who you deal with, so you have some recourse.

We use what is probably that same TA. Very happy with them, as we get all the standard Celebrity pricing and promos PLUS about 8% of the cruise fare back as refundable OBC. Their phone support is great (although it's not 24 hr). They've always been fast and easy to work with. They sometimes have to call the cruise line to do something, and sometimes that takes a while, but it's still often faster than calling myself.

I'm someone who prefers to do as much as possible myself online. So I compare cruises and prices online, usually for weeks or months before I actually book it. And I book it online (I hate giving names and numbers over the phone as it's too easy to be heard wrong, so I prefer to type it all in myself). This TA's website is pretty good and straightforward for making real bookings as well as "test" bookings. (With one exception - I always have to whip out my membership card and type in the 12-digit membership number just to log in, rather than a user name).

Edited by dbsb3233

Once Royal and X stopped letting TA's undercut their rates we settled on one large online outfit that throws in free grats. Can't think of any reason to book directly with X.

This is a VERY common misconception, held by a great many people about many different cruise lines.

A major (my favorite) online agency advertises prices below those from the cruise lines every day. ;)

I agree completely about not booking directly with the cruise line. I can't afford to throw away money.

Edited by teecee60

We used a well known (in the NE) TA for our first cruise. The agent was not up to par to me, even being a novice. No real help or input. Only a discount booklet and that was it.

Now I use a big box TA with perks at least and I find them very helpful in contacting X while I Am on the phone and etc...

Even after changing sailings and the 123Go package was discontinued, the TA was able to get for me on the new sailing. Of course I Am happy with them. Then again, I have yet something catastrophic happen to put them to the test... ;-)

Go where you are comfortable. Perks or not..

Bon voyage...

[To me, trust is an issue, and I might hesitate to deal with some online agencies, though others seem happy with them.. On the HAL forum, someone has reported being cheated by a local New Jersey agency (used by the family for decades) after paying by check. Use a credit card no matter who you deal with, so you have some recourse.]

I read those posts here. Did she post both places?

No, I must have mixed up my forums. Apologies.

Some people either cannot handle their own reservations or do not want to be bothered. Witness my neighbor, a fan of Cunard. He books his cruises through the major automobile agency in the USA and gets no benefits. When I asked him why he did this, he responded that his agent was on a first name basis with the cruise line and that impressed him. So, several years ago, I checked his cabin class on line and found that the price was $1000 lower for him and his wife than what he was paying. He was most appreciative and had his agent make the adjustment. The point is, he had to initiate the action and only when I pursued it with him. Yet, on subsequent cruises, he still uses the same agent, proving you can lead a horse to water but...

DW and I do not require help with plane or car reservations; we make our own hotel arrangements, too. All we want from an agent is the best possible price and credits. I know there are many like us and we must be an agent's dream.

Or a nightmare if you keep calling every time the price drops and it eats into their commision. :)

But there is no one single answer to this question that will be the best answer all the time for all passengers for all cruises as there can be many variables involved.

We find that for many cruises it is advantageous for us to use a TA, while for others it is not.

Then even for the cruises where it is worthwhile to use a TA, one TA will be better for one cruise and a different TA will be better for another cruise.

We use the big wholesale membership club travel agent too. It is worth $500 refundable OBC to transfer our next cruise to them.

Before our last cruise I saw a price drop and called them about it. The agent I spoke with called Celebrity for me and reviewed our package with them. She came back to me and said that, yes there was a price drop, but she didn't think it was to my advantage to take it because we'd be losing our free beverages and free gratuities. She also discovered a discrepancy in our account. DH uses Jr sometimes after his name and it was on his passport, but not on our Celebrity account. She worked with them to get it fixed.

We had no hesitation to transfer our booking to them when booking onboard.

This is a VERY common misconception, held by a great many people about many different cruise lines.

A major (my favorite) online agency advertises prices below those from the cruise lines every day. ;)

I agree completely about not booking directly with the cruise line. I can't afford to throw away money.

I agree. I know by who I transfer it to whether I'm going to get OBC or a price reduction. Price reductions for RCL still exist.

Or a nightmare if you keep calling every time the price drops and it eats into their commision. :)

You know, I found the $1000 price drop for my neighbor, but I've never found one for me and my wife. Our initial booking always has been the lowest price.

But I sure waste a lot of time searching for our first price drop:rolleyes:

Edited by BosoxI