Selection of River Cruise Cabins

DW1111

Some do, some don't. It depends on the cruise line and the particular ship.

Do you know of any ships that have it? This topic comes up from time to time, but usually as a complaint about the absence of screens. It would be good to know which ships provide it.

Do you know of any ships that have it? This topic comes up from time to time, but usually as a complaint about the absence of screens. It would be good to know which ships provide it.

The only one I recall reading specifically about was Uniworld's SS Catherine:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=721

"one nifty new touch on S.S. Catherine is the addition of a screen to keep flies away"

We didn't have a screen on the Antoinette recently, but can't say we really needed it (in late August, early September). We never had an issue with insects in the cabin and we left the window open pretty much full-time.

Many of the Scenic ships have screens that can be lowered on their balcony cabins.

On the Uniworld Queen Isabell the boat always docked so that the starboard side cabins had the view out on the river, and the leeward (even numbered) rooms always faced the wall. This was the case except in Oporto, which happened to be the only dock where ships raft up with one another. My advice for this trip is to reserve a starboard (odd numbered) cabin!

On the Uniworld Queen Isabell the boat always docked so that the starboard side cabins had the view out on the river, and the leeward (even numbered) rooms always faced the wall. This was the case except in Oporto, which happened to be the only dock where ships raft up with one another. My advice for this trip is to reserve a starboard (odd numbered) cabin!

IMHO, it doesn't really matter. River cruisers always dock pointing upriver for stability. No matter which side you're on you'll have a view of one side of the river or the other unless you're rafted, which can be on one side or on both sides like a sandwich. Rafting is very common and with the increasing traffic in river cruises on some rivers like the Danube and the Rhine, it's almost inevitable during the height of the season. I always choose an even sided cabin because I prefer to look out over the river as opposed to the dock, which sometimes is a good view and sometimes isn't. :D

IMHO, it doesn't really matter. River cruisers always dock pointing upriver for stability. No matter which side you're on you'll have a view of one side of the river or the other unless you're rafted, which can be on one side or on both sides like a sandwich. Rafting is very common and with the increasing traffic in river cruises on some rivers like the Danube and the Rhine, it's almost inevitable during the height of the season. I always choose an even sided cabin because I prefer to look out over the river as opposed to the dock, which sometimes is a good view and sometimes isn't. :D

What I think it means is that -- for this particular river, the Douro -- all the ports are on one side of the river so the ship always docks with the same side near the shore and those cabins get less privacy. Rafting is epidemic on the Danube, but not yet on other rivers. So I have made a note when booking our Douro cruise to get a cabin on the starboard side. Thanks, pinotlover.

The boat MUST be docked with the Bow going against the river. I'm sure there is a better nautical term for that. When the boat is tied to shore, bow against the current.... That is the correct and safe way to anchor, dock and secure the ship. Depending on which side of the river to are docking at, you never know if you will look at the shore, a dock, a wall or a Balcony of a Longboat 6 inches from your window.

We rafted often, sometimes 3 deep. Sometimes all nite or a few hours and sometimes we changed positions to accommodate one of the ships leaving earlier than us.

Met some interesting people on ships we rafted with, also observed people on the other ships whose face would crack before acknowledging your wave or hello! People are interesting that's for sure....

Dock locations are assigned and NOT the choice of the captain.

Edited by JVilleGal

The boat MUST be docked with the Bow going against the river. I'm sure there is a better nautical term for that. When the boat is tied to shore, bow against the current.... That is the correct and safe way to anchor, dock and secure the ship. Depending on which side of the river to are docking at, you never know if you will look at the shore, a dock, a wall or a Balcony of a Longboat 6 inches from your window.

We rafted often, sometimes 3 deep. Sometimes all nite or a few hours and sometimes we changed positions to accommodate one of the ships leaving earlier than us.

Met some interesting people on ships we rafted with, also observed people on the other ships whose face would crack before acknowledging your wave or hello! People are interesting that's for sure....

Dock locations are assigned and NOT the choice of the captain.

Right on all counts J'ville. As for meeting interesting people....sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....but at least you tried!!!The one time we were rafted 3 deep on our last trip we happened to be dockside so aside from strangers looking in at the lounge, we were least affected by it.

I think rafting is or should be a non issue. The fancy balcony cabins are certainly not able to be used as people intend and that ladies and gentlemen is where the issue is.

These folks see the beautiful commercials on TV and that is exactly what they expect..... Reality is somewhat different on the river!

Research and adjusted expectations is what Cruise Critic provides and hopefully you do that research before leaving and not after the fact!

I think rafting is or should be a non issue. The fancy balcony cabins are certainly not able to be used as people intend and that ladies and gentlemen is where the issue is.

These folks see the beautiful commercials on TV and that is exactly what they expect..... Reality is somewhat different on the river!

Research and adjusted expectations is what Cruise Critic provides and hopefully you do that research before leaving and not after the fact!

Very well said Kathleen, Hoping that you are feeling better.

Gary

Still in Budapest and still sick :(

Oh Kathleen, that's terrible :( Are you still able to do things or are you totally out of commission? Don't hesitate to ask the hotel concierge for an English speaking doctor if you need one....all the big hotels have one they can call to come to you if necessary.

In bed :( we just have nasty head colds. Fly home tomorrow. We have had an incredible trip and will return again!

ICK....thought of flying that distance with a head cold is making me shiver.... look forward to chatting when you're home and feeling better. Glad you had a good trip.:D

If you have any mobility issues, you probably do not want the lowest deck on Viking. The lifts do not go down to that deck. DW does not do stairs very well, so we only look at decks with access to lifts.

Interesting, when rafted to another ship how is she able to get off the ship? That can involve many stairs climbing up and over multiple ships??? And the elevators can't get you to the sun deck??

Only once or twice were we able to actually walk thru the ships rafted together, normally we had to climb our stairs, down our stairs, across the tops of both boats and down the other boats steps!

Edited by JVilleGal

I came down with a cold at the end of our recent river cruise, which thankfully hit its peak after we disembarked and was pretty much cleared up by the time we flew home. And JVilleGal got this terrible cold which hit badly on her cruise. This reminded me of another reason to pay the premium for a French Balcony cabin -- if you should get sick enough to have to stay in the cabin, it would be so much nicer to have a big window to look out of and the possibility of fresh air. [JVilleGal - hope you survived the flight and are now mending at home!]

Jazz;

You're welcome! The boats all dock on the north bank on the river in all the river towns. They however do not dock in Porto, but across the river, on the south bank, which is an easy walk over the bridge to Porto. A much easier walk that horrible bus ride in the traffic!

The Douro is different from other Euro rivers. Only daylight sailing is allowed. The river is so narrow in several locations that only one boat can pass through a long stretch at a time. This means that not only must the boats have reserved times in the locks, but also schedules times through the various narrows. This alone will keep the Douro from having the rafting issues that many complain about on the other rivers. There just isn't enough room on the river so that boats have to raft at the docks, with Porto being the only exception.

Jazz;

You're welcome! The boats all dock on the north bank on the river in all the river towns. They however do not dock in Porto, but across the river, on the south bank, which is an easy walk over the bridge to Porto. A much easier walk that horrible bus ride in the traffic!

The Douro is different from other Euro rivers. Only daylight sailing is allowed. The river is so narrow in several locations that only one boat can pass through a long stretch at a time. This means that not only must the boats have reserved times in the locks, but also schedules times through the various narrows. This alone will keep the Douro from having the rafting issues that many complain about on the other rivers. There just isn't enough room on the river so that boats have to raft at the docks, with Porto being the only exception.

This is one of the trips we've been thinking about taking with Vantage. I appreciate your information. How would you rate the trip in comparison with scenery, historic places of interests, shopping, etc. I've done 8 river cruises with Vantage including Russia and Egypt...I love looking at beautiful scenery but DH needs more!! :D