Queen Elizabeth: an informal night; what to expect?

rkacruiser

Truly am considering booking a QE cruise for 2016, but I think I need to know what experiences to expect.

It is informal night. Jacket, open neck shirt with no tie is expected as I understand the standard. I have just returned from a long, hot, tiring shore excursion. From the information that I have learned on CC and Cunard's brochures, I am expected to meet this dress code. If I do not, then, I am expected to dine in the Lido Restaurant and enjoy the evening in the Garden Lounge. Don't show my face elsewhere in the ship. Is this accurate?

My dress for such an event would be what Holland America call's Smart Casual.

If I choose to remain in the Garden Lounge after dinner, what may I expect for entertainment? If any?

Guidance/information, please. Thank you.

Truly am considering booking a QE cruise for 2016, but I think I need to know what experiences to expect.

It is informal night. Jacket, open neck shirt with no tie is expected as I understand the standard. I have just returned from a long, hot, tiring shore excursion. From the information that I have learned on CC and Cunard's brochures, I am expected to meet this dress code. If I do not, then, I am expected to dine in the Lido Restaurant and enjoy the evening in the Garden Lounge. Don't show my face elsewhere in the ship. Is this accurate?

If I choose to remain in the Garden Lounge after dinner, what may I expect for entertainment? If any?

Brief answer: Yes, on Cunard you are expected to comply with the dress code.

There are a number of lines which have either no real dress code, or do not enforce what code they have. Perhaps, if complying with a known dress code is not what you want, you should consider a line other than Cunard.

Brief answer: Yes, on Cunard you are expected to comply with the dress code.

There are a number of lines which have either no real dress code, or do not enforce what code they have. Perhaps, if complying with a known dress code is not what you want, you should consider a line other than Cunard.

Thank you for your response. My question remains: if I choose to spend the evening in the Garden Lounge/Winter Garden, will there be any entertainment options to entice me to do so?

Thank you for your response. My question remains: if I choose to spend the evening in the Garden Lounge/Winter Garden, will there be any entertainment options to entice me to do so?

You will most likely have to amuse yourself by people watching as they head off in their jackets (there will even be more with ties than not)for the full run of the ship due to their following the requested dress code.. Unless you have run a 26 mile marathon on shore, I know of no tour that should impede a relaxing shower and a redress into a fine pair of dress slacks, a neat long sleeved shirt and a sports jacket. Hardly something to fight against.

Entertainment (live music) in the evening is offered across the ship, including Garden Lounge, but this is not systematic. You may want to check a typical daily programme to get an idea of the times and venues of entertainment.

Also, one should keep in mind that, considering the relatively high average age of the passengers and the hectic days ashore when cruising, many tend to retire for the night relatively early, which means that live music eventually withdraws to only a few spots late a night (Yacht Club...). However, as the number of passengers still up gets lower, so may the vigilance about the dress code.

Just checked the Daily Programme for fifteen port days from the 2014 World Voyage. The Garden Lounge hosted entertainment six of those days. The harpist played on two different nights, the string quartet on two nights and a sporting event was broadcast on two different nights.

Just checked the Daily Programme for fifteen port days from the 2014 World Voyage. The Garden Lounge hosted entertainment six of those days. The harpist played on two different nights, the string quartet on two nights and a sporting event was broadcast on two different nights.

Scrapnana,

Thank you for your research and information! That is exactly what I wanted to learn.

Please don't think me rude rkacruiser,but the more threads I read from you the more I am convinced Cunard is not the line for you.

Rodger.

Rodger,

Do I consider your thoughts rude? Absolutely not! Thank you for providing them.

You are correct in my attempt to assess whether another Cunard cruise is right for me. I have no problem with dressing for the evening. And, while I prefer the Celebrity and HAL definition of approriate dress during nights that are not formal, it will not spoil my cruise experience by wearing a jacket during the evening with an open neck shirt. (There will be no tie, however. Unless, of course, my lottery numbers appear or I win the Publisher's Clearing House prize and I upgrade myself to the Grills.)

I am looking for a different cruise experience from what I have had without entering the luxury category. I am thinking a voyage on Queen Elizabeth might provide that.

Thanks again, for your input.

RKACRUISER,

Excuse if I have got this wrong, but you are wondering about the dress code a after along day on tours?

I have done some very long tours from QE as Like Scapnana I have done world cruises on QE. The dress code on a port day will be casual.

If you want to dine in the MDR you would need a jacket and no tie although many men still wear a tie. You can then leave the MDR and go out and about on the ship. You may well men with out jackets say in the theatre on a casual night who have removed their jackets. I

However, if it is a formal night which it will definitely be on a sea day, it will be formal dress.

If you do not want to dress formally you eat in your cabin with room service, or the Lido. You can only use the Winter Gardens for drinks and dancing afterwards. They often play music in there and sometimes there may be a live band such as the one that plays at deck parties. plus the things Scrapnana has pointed out already

I think if you decide not to dress on a formal night you miss out of a lot of things on a Cunard ship. You would definitely be in the minority. I have looked into the Winter Gardens many a night whilst on a four month voyage and it is never busy. Most people who cruise Cunard adhere to the dress code .

I hope you decide to book your cruise and just go with the flow but do dress accordingly. Happy sailing. :)

Edited by maggiemou

Basically, each line has it's "schtick" so to speak...Carnival(the "fun ships")RCCL(We know the Caribbean)NCL(started "Anytime" dining)Cunard(Proper British seafaring with people dressing properly for dinner) You see..That's Cunard's thing..Tradition & respect for past maritime travel. It's why so many of us love the line. If you are unwilling to respect the other pax who paid good money to enjoy their trip, by all means go to a casual line. If you like great food try Oceania(still have to wear slacks & nice shirts at dinner)If dressing down IS your thing then I suggest Carnival/NCL. You've read the brochures, as you've said.You ARE expected to follow the dresscodes out of respect for the other pax. I hate to say it, but if you can't, then Cunard is NOT the line for you!

keithm,

Sir!

I must object to the tone/message of your post. My initial query was directed as to what to expect in 2015-2016 on Cunard. Clearly, the evening dress code has changed since my Queen Mary 2 cruise soon after she was introduced.

If you had taken the time to read the previous posters comments, you would understand that I have learned what I needed to know. A Cunard cruise in 2016 may well be the "change in pace" for which I am looking.

Edited by rkacruiser