Any Pool Time on an Alaska Cruise

wolfpackmom

Should I pack our swim suits for our Alaska cruise that leaves Sept. 11. I think it might be too cold to go swimming, or even sit by the pool. Does anyone out there have any experience they can share.

The two times we went, the pools were relatively empty, but there are always a few hearty souls who figured since they brought their swim suits, they have to use them. On the other hand, the hot tubs were always busy. If that's your thing, bring the suit. Just if you do use the pool and it is heated and outside, you will not just go from the pool to your chair and warm up, the air is chilly.

Most of the people sitting by the pool weren't there for sunbathing specifically, so they might have had shorts on, just not many bathing suits.

Oh and we sailed both times late August. Weather was great, but especially while the ship is cruising, it will be a bit chilly out on deck.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I was wondering if people sit by the pool and enjoy the sun on those at sea days. What's it like?

I took a Pacific coastal cruise (Los Angeles to Vancouver) and didn't see anyone swim all week. People like to hang out around the pool without getting wet. The area does have a bar though, so maybe people went there to eat and drink. We did have company in the hot tubs, however.

Yes, people do swim and use the hot tubs on Alaskan cruises but seldom is the air temp much above mid-70's and the wind across the deck is 20 knots plus....well it's not the Caribbean I know and love.:)

RCI ships have the indoor solarium pool and hot tubs. Even the usually adult only solarium pool they allow children during certain hours on the Alaska itinerary.

OP is on Celebrity Solstice - which does have a covered pool (retractable roof, I believe).

I will definitely be bringing a swimsuit on the millennium next month. Our cruise is port-intensive, however most of our sailaways from ports are early, as are our tours. So I intend on throwing on my suit and relaxing in the indoor solarium pool after our tours and/or on sea-days. That will be my "unwind time".

My last cruise to Alaska was in May. While it was cold and rained from time to time, I swam laps for an hour a day every day. I swam in the Outdoor Aft pool because no kids would go in it.

The swimming was great but I forgot one important thing. Just because it is overcast you can still get a sunburn.

Should I pack our swim suits for our Alaska cruise that leaves Sept. 11. I think it might be too cold to go swimming, or even sit by the pool. Does anyone out there have any experience they can share.

YMMV, but swimsuits take so little room so pack them and see how weather goes. Its the weather, anything is possible :D

YES, and your flip flops too.

We swam in the covered pool on our last Alaska cruise daily.

Also there are hot tubs and the spa areas.

The nice thing about Alaska cruises is the pools and spas are never crowded. Not because of the weather, but because people don't think to pack suits and there really is no where to buy one. We got many comments from people who said they wished they'd packed their suits.

My favorite part was on the glacier viewing day I went with some ladies to the sauna which had a HUGE window. While everyone else shivered on deck, we got to see the glacier while sweating. :D

Some people may indeed forget to pack a suit, but IMO most just don't find the time nor have the desire to go swimming. There is just so much to see on the outside of the ship. Unlike the Caribbean, where the cruise IS port intensive, Alaskan cruises have scenic views and wildlife the majority of the trip, on shore or on the water.

One of my favorite memories from our first cruise to Alaska was relaxing in the hot tub at the back of the ship as we were docked in one of the ports. The ever-changing view of the sun against the mountains was spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with whoever said it takes very little space to pack them. You never know with Alaska. It was super hot in Skagway both times we have been there...once in mid-May and just recently in mid-June.

Hot tubs are nice for relaxing.

I would for sure bring. It has recently been pretty warm in Alaska. I am going this weekend and have packed a swimsuit since it will be warm. Wish that it would be cooler, forecasts show that it will be in the mid to upper 70s which is a bummer. For my next cruise I guess I will need to book one earlier in the season to have a better chance to get nicer weather. Bring it. It will be plenty hot to use it.

In Ketchikan right now and it is warm now. Its about 71 degrees but sunny so it feels hot...like Caribbean. Lots of people in the pool. In the morning though it was cool and rainy...so you never know

Wolfpackmom- absolutely! They heat the outdoor pool and play movies on the big screen. When i took my then 6 year old grandson with me on a cruise in Alaska they played Monsters Inc one day while we were swimming and we had a ball. Glaciers all around and there we were in a nice, warm pool. Of course we did have to get out sometime......... brrrrrr

Remember there is the indoor solarium pool as well and they have certain designated times for kids to be able to swim in there as well.

In Ketchikan right now and it is warm now. Its about 71 degrees but sunny so it feels hot...like Caribbean. Lots of people in the pool. In the morning though it was cool and rainy...so you never know

Man that isa big bummer that it is going to be hot. One of the big reasons for doing an Alaska cruise rather than a Caribbean one is cooler weather. Guess we are out of luck, leave this weekend. Guess we are going at the wrong time. Ill have to remember this and do my next Alaskan one earlier in the season to get better weather.