Ketchican, Skagway Juneau

TXRed

What can we do and see on our own in these ports. The only thing we really wanted to do is a whale watching tour and that pretty much wipes out our $ for tours. So we are looking at what we can do on our own or for a small amount. Thanks for your suggestions in advance

Edited by TXRed

I have no idea about your interests or physical abilities so I will suggest that you learn about each port and decide for yourself what to do.

Borrow Alaska travel books from your library, look at town web sites, read past trip reports (in STICKY above) where photojournals will bring sights and activities to life.

ie http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

http://skagway.com/

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/itineraries.php

Also, utilize SEARCH THIS FORUM with the word 'budget' to find past threads.

Edited by mapleleaves

I have no idea about your interests or physical abilities so I will suggest that you learn about each port and decide for yourself what to do.

Borrow Alaska travel books from your library, look at town web sites, read past trip reports (in STICKY above) where photojournals will bring sights and activities to life.

ie http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ http://skagway.com/

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/itineraries.php

Also, utilize SEARCH THIS FORUM with the word 'budget' to find past threads.

Thanks for your reply....our interests are varied and since this is our first time to Alaska we are open. We are very active 70 yo's. We have no problem keeping up with our kids. ;-) Thanks for the link and the search suggestion. If anyone has any suggetions on what they did on their own, please post them. Again a huge thanks

This forum is filled with threads for all the ports you have listed. You can access them easily by using the "Search this Forum" function back on the main page (not the main Search at the very top); set it to "Advanced Search", type in the port (one port for each time you search), set it to "Titles only" and you'll get lots of threads describing what others have done. I know it takes a little time to go through them but that is part of planning a cruise and the excursions - researching. :)

Have fun in Alaska.

What can we do and see on our own in these ports. The only thing we really wanted to do is a whale watching tour and that pretty much wipes out our $ for tours. So we are looking at what we can do on our own or for a small amount. Thanks for your suggestions in advance
We are very active 70 yo's. We have no problem keeping up with our kids. ;-) Thanks for the link and the search suggestion. If anyone has any suggetions on what they did on their own, please post them. Again a huge thanks
Okay then, here are some of our suggestions for reasonably priced / low cost or no cost sightseeing.

If you have any interest in totem poles, for Ketchikan the "bargain" excursion is to take the public bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch Park.

The round trip bus ride only costs $1 each for seniors.

You can't beat that. Free admission to both totem pole parks.

Here are links to their websites.

Potlatch Totem Park

(If you like old cars, don't miss their garage full of antique cars as well as the totem poles.)

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Totem Poles at Totem Bight State Historical Park

And you can even jump off the bus at Walmart on the way back to pick up whatever you need, or inexpensive Alaska souvenirs.

Then take the free Walmart shuttle back to town.

If energetic, you can also do the free Ketchikan walking tours.

Pick up brochures and maps at the visitor center right on the cruise ship dock.

At least walk around the Creek Street area.

For Skagway, get a copy of Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway (google it),

rent a car for the day and take the scenic drive, making all the recommended stops along the way.

You can download a free version, or pay $5 to get the full version.

The price of a rental car for the day is really a bargain for such a wonderful, scenic full day excursion.

You may even meet some people on your cruise who will want to join you and share the cost of the rental car.

(But if you decide to take others along with you, I would recommend splurging and paying the extra cost to get full insurance coverage for the day, just for peace of mind.)

For Juneau, since you have already decided to take a whale watching tour, have your whale watching vendor drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards.

If you have a Senior or Golden Age pass, bring it along as it will get you free admission at the visitor center there.

(By the way, it will also get you free admission at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan.)

Do as little or as much hiking at the Mendenhall Glacier as you please, but if the weather is nice, at least take the easy hike along the lake out to Nugget Falls.

When ready to leave, you can catch one of the shuttle buses back to town for about $10 each.

Incidentally, there is free internet at the Juneau Public Library close to the cruise docks, among other places.

Edited by fleckle

We just returned from an Alaskan B2B and found a couple of gems that we had not heard about.

Juneau - The Alaskan Brewing Co tour. $20 gets you a shuttle from town to the brewery and back, a brewery tour and history lesson and 6 (7oz) glasses of beer to sample. I am not a huge fan of beer but their range is so out of the ordinary, some standouts were the Oatmeal Stout, Smoked Porter and Raspberry Wheat. Just go to the outlet on the main street, a few minutes walk from the dock, and book yourself in, they leave every few hours.

Skagway - Another $20 gem - the Days of ’98 show, a burlesque/vaudeville style show about Soapy Smith, a Skagway Klondike Gold Rush character. Really enjoyed this show but would suggest if you don’t want to be chosen to take part in the show, don’t sit at the front or the edges!

Someone else has already mentioned the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and the walk to Nugget Falls, this was one of the highlights of our trip and we also recommend it :)

Oh and the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan was well worth the $35!

In Juneau you can get a taxi to Alaska Brewery, and have free beer samples (also their root beer). The small tour is free, but the brewmasters are very knowledgable and love to talk!

Also in Juneau you can take the tram, which is really cheap if you buy the tickets directly rather than from the ship. You can buy the tickets when you are ready to go and the bird sanctuary at e top is quite interesting.

In Ketchikan there are museums and art shops that are an easy walk in town. Go to the salmon shops for plenty of smoked salmon samples.

On our last alaska cruise we didn't do any ship excursions and we had a great time. Part of this was due to having done a lot of excursions on our previous Alaska cruise. And of course you can always enjoy the ship while in port.

From what I have been reading on the boards, if you are limited on tour funds, don't waste it on whale watching tours. You will most likely see whales from the cruise. You are better off going on other tours since you see the whales anyway.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise!!! :):):):)

In Juneau you can get a taxi to Alaska Brewery, and have free beer samples (also their root beer). The small tour is free, but the brewmasters are very knowledgable and love to talk!

Also in Juneau you can take the tram, which is really cheap if you buy the tickets directly rather than from the ship. You can buy the tickets when you are ready to go and the bird sanctuary at e top is quite interesting.

In Ketchikan there are museums and art shops that are an easy walk in town. Go to the salmon shops for plenty of smoked salmon samples.

On our last alaska cruise we didn't do any ship excursions and we had a great time. Part of this was due to having done a lot of excursions on our previous Alaska cruise. And of course you can always enjoy the ship while in port.

Thanks for all your suggestions....they are now on my list. Much appreciated!

From what I have been reading on the boards, if you are limited on tour funds, don't waste it on whale watching tours. You will most likely see whales from the cruise. You are better off going on other tours since you see the whales anyway.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise!!! :):):):)

Thank you, if we see whales from the cruise we will certainly retink our priorities. I would prefer to see them from the ship as I am not big on small boats. :p

Skagway has a free walking tour put on by the Park Service. Sign up early at their office at the old train depot.

Also agree with the Soapy Smith show.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions...both are now on my list!:D

We just returned from an Alaskan B2B and found a couple of gems that we had not heard about.

Juneau - The Alaskan Brewing Co tour. $20 gets you a shuttle from town to the brewery and back, a brewery tour and history lesson and 6 (7oz) glasses of beer to sample. I am not a huge fan of beer but their range is so out of the ordinary, some standouts were the Oatmeal Stout, Smoked Porter and Raspberry Wheat. Just go to the outlet on the main street, a few minutes walk from the dock, and book yourself in, they leave every few hours.

Skagway - Another $20 gem - the Days of ’98 show, a burlesque/vaudeville style show about Soapy Smith, a Skagway Klondike Gold Rush character. Really enjoyed this show but would suggest if you don’t want to be chosen to take part in the show, don’t sit at the front or the edges!

Someone else has already mentioned the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and the walk to Nugget Falls, this was one of the highlights of our trip and we also recommend it :)

Thank you so much..I definately want to take the bus to Mendenhall and the walk to Nugget Falls. Soapy Smith sounds like lots of fun and thanks for the hint not to sit in the front. My son will certainly love the brewery tour! It all sounds right us our alley.:D

This forum is filled with threads for all the ports you have listed. You can access them easily by using the "Search this Forum" function back on the main page (not the main Search at the very top); set it to "Advanced Search", type in the port (one port for each time you search), set it to "Titles only" and you'll get lots of threads describing what others have done. I know it takes a little time to go through them but that is part of planning a cruise and the excursions - researching. :)

Have fun in Alaska.

Thank you for this information....I will certainly use it!

Okay then, here are some of our suggestions for reasonably priced / low cost or no cost sightseeing.

If you have any interest in totem poles, for Ketchikan the "bargain" excursion is to take the public bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch Park.

The round trip bus ride only costs $1 each for seniors.

You can't beat that. Free admission to both totem pole parks.

Here are links to their websites.

Potlatch Totem Park

(If you like old cars, don't miss their garage full of antique cars as well as the totem poles.)

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Totem Poles at Totem Bight State Historical Park

And you can even jump off the bus at Walmart on the way back to pick up whatever you need, or inexpensive Alaska souvenirs.

Then take the free Walmart shuttle back to town.

If energetic, you can also do the free Ketchikan walking tours.

Pick up brochures and maps at the visitor center right on the cruise ship dock.

At least walk around the Creek Street area.

For Skagway, get a copy of Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway (google it),

rent a car for the day and take the scenic drive, making all the recommended stops along the way.

You can download a free version, or pay $5 to get the full version.

The price of a rental car for the day is really a bargain for such a wonderful, scenic full day excursion.

You may even meet some people on your cruise who will want to join you and share the cost of the rental car.

(But if you decide to take others along with you, I would recommend splurging and paying the extra cost to get full insurance coverage for the day, just for peace of mind.)

For Juneau, since you have already decided to take a whale watching tour, have your whale watching vendor drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards.

If you have a Senior or Golden Age pass, bring it along as it will get you free admission at the visitor center there.

(By the way, it will also get you free admission at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan.)

Do as little or as much hiking at the Mendenhall Glacier as you please, but if the weather is nice, at least take the easy hike along the lake out to Nugget Falls.

When ready to leave, you can catch one of the shuttle buses back to town for about $10 each.

Incidentally, there is free internet at the Juneau Public Library close to the cruise docks, among other places.

WOW thank you for this info....I am so excited!! I love there is free internet in Juneau!!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and recommendations....you have been a huge help. With this information we will be able to 'do' Alaska on a budget for sure and still see and experience so many things.

There are not any tours at the Alaskan Brewery. They were discontinued last year. You can look around and there are some views. I would only suggest going there using the cheap, but infrequent city bus, or having a rental car. https://alaskanbeer.com/visit/

Whale watching, is no comparison to what you "may" see from a cruise ship. It's a huge difference that isn't mentioned. For whale viewing from a cruise ship- you will need to invest a LOT of time, and educate yourself on possible areas of sightings. A good pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary in my opinion. You can expect to be "looking" for hours, and then get a 30 second view. You must be ok with that with that choice- to not do a tour.

You need to allow 3 hours for Totem Bight and Potlatch Park. bus is only once/hour. It depends on your port time, plus several other details.

Heading to your library, try and get Fodor's and/or Frommer's Alaska Port's of Call book. great reference for walking tours. Older editions are fine, since it's easy to get current information if needed.

Edited by Budget Queen