This American is Proud to Review the Pride of America 4/11 to 4/18

mel-b

Thanks for posting this very detailed account.

After reading, I think the hubs and I may just do the car rental thing for RTH and the sunrise crater. I had considered booking thru NCL but we can handle the driving I think. It will be more personal and certainly more affordable.

I am still wrestling with where to stay pre/post cruise. I still have LOTS and LOTS of time (we don't go until March 2017) but I am a planner! I am going to book our airfare this summer and then book hotel rooms so I can be a little more flexible with the air dates.

Again... THANK YOU for this review and GIG 'EM!

I'm excited for you!! Planning is half the fun, I think. I have a few friends who use travel agents. For me, I AM my own travel agent! And I love it. Let me know if I can be of further assistance as you finish your plans.

Whoop!!

I want to join everyone else and thank you for your wonderful review. I know it was a lot of work. Really appreciate it!

Thank you, KCalla. I'm glad this review has been useful! Unfortunately, I don't write as many reviews as I should. But with the POA, it seemed high time to have a good review available.

On a side note, I downloaded the App called "Ship Mate." I think there are a few more positive reviews of the POA on that app. This might be a good tool for y'all as you research this ship or others.

Thank you, KCalla. I'm glad this review has been useful! Unfortunately, I don't write as many reviews as I should. But with the POA, it seemed high time to have a good review available.

On a side note, I downloaded the App called "Ship Mate." I think there are a few more positive reviews of the POA on that app. This might be a good tool for y'all as you research this ship or others.

I cannot find this app. What does the icon look like?

Thanks for posting this very detailed account.

After reading, I think the hubs and I may just do the car rental thing for RTH and the sunrise crater. I had considered booking thru NCL but we can handle the driving I think. It will be more personal and certainly more affordable.

I am still wrestling with where to stay pre/post cruise. I still have LOTS and LOTS of time (we don't go until March 2017) but I am a planner! I am going to book our airfare this summer and then book hotel rooms so I can be a little more flexible with the air dates.

Again... THANK YOU for this review and GIG 'EM!

We took this cruise last month, and stayed 3 nights pre-cruise at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You have your choice of 6 or 7 towers, half of which are regular hotels and some are time-share based (Hilton Grand Vacation Club, but RCI available).

There are several restaurants and shops on the property, and it's right on the beach, plus it has it's own separate lagoon.

A big thank you, mel-b, for a informative, entertaining, fun and enjoyable review. I took plenty of notes, as I also am my own TA :)

I know it takes a lot of work/time to do a review, and I really appreciate it - for me it was very helpful.

Dani, Aloha and Mahalo! I'm so glad to hear this review was helpful for you!

Edited by mel-b

Mel-b thanks for this review. My youngest son wants to see Hawaii as his pre-graduation trip, so I've just started planning. He mentioned wanting to do a cruise. We'll be there 2 weeks (we did 2 weeks for his oldest brother in Alaska), but I think we'll probably only do 1 week for the cruise and then the other on land. Thanks to your review, I now have some ideas on where to spend out land vacation and things to do on the other islands.

Does Mauna Loa Helicopter have copters that take 3 guests? We did a plane tour in Alaska that took 6 passengers (my family made up 5 of them) and it was very nice. Similar to your experience, the pilot had music playing that so perfectly fit the scenery that it brought tears to my eyes. Reading your description, I got misty eyed.

Does Big Island Aina Tours offer different types of tours? My sons will be 17 & 21 in June 2017, when I plan on being there, and I don't think they would want to see the macadamia nut farm nor the orchid gardens. They might like doing a 4x4 tour or something along those lines - a little bit of an adrenaline rush but not so much that dear old mom gets worried!:)

You said you were able to get in the family suite next to yours. I am considering that for the 3 of us. Did you happen to get any pictures?

Thanks again for jump starting my planning. I'm sure my son will love his trip as my as my oldest loved Alaska.

Does Mauna Loa Helicopter have copters that take 3 guests? We did a plane tour in Alaska that took 6 passengers (my family made up 5 of them) and it was very nice. Similar to your experience, the pilot had music playing that so perfectly fit the scenery that it brought tears to my eyes. Reading your description, I got misty eyed.

Does Big Island Aina Tours offer different types of tours? My sons will be 17 & 21 in June 2017, when I plan on being there, and I don't think they would want to see the macadamia nut farm nor the orchid gardens. They might like doing a 4x4 tour or something along those lines - a little bit of an adrenaline rush but not so much that dear old mom gets worried!:)

You said you were able to get in the family suite next to yours. I am considering that for the 3 of us. Did you happen to get any pictures?

Thanks again for jump starting my planning. I'm sure my son will love his trip as my as my oldest loved Alaska.

Hi Olemissreb! Thanks for reading this review. I'm glad to hear it's been helpful in your planning. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

I believe Big Island Aina Tours only offers the type of small group tour we went on with those particular stops mentioned. I'm not aware of them offering a private tour for cruise ship passengers. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact Gil. He was super quick in his response and very kind and helpful. If he can't accommodate y'all, he might have a suggestion. http://www.ainatours.com/cruise-ship-tours.htm

There might be another tour operator that offers a 4x4 type of excursion, or perhaps through the ship? Another idea might be to rent a vehicle and go off exploring on your own. The Hilo side would be super easy to do that, even though you would need to obtain your rental vehicle at the airport (grab a taxi from the cruise port or perhaps the rental agency would offer a shuttle to pick you up).

I did not get a picture of cabin 9698, the 2 bedroom aft wraparound suite. I did find this picture online, and it's accurate of the balcony.

hawaii9698.jpg.b430018aa3ee1c75dcfaac9342e4e8b1.jpg

Good luck and let me know if I can answer anything else!

I just realized I didn't address this question! I believe Mauna Loa can take three guests. We were seated in the two back seats, pilot in the front right seat. There is a front left seat, and I recall the pilot mentioning a person could sit there. All depending on weight limits I'd imagine. It'd be worth inquiring with them!

• 1 month later...
I was so excited to find your review, I'm just a little way through it, but enjoying it so much. Taking notes for our trip. Thank you for sharing, I know that is time consuming.

Thank you for reading! It's nice to know this review is still helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for reading! It's nice to know this review is still helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for your great review mel-b! This was a major factor in convincing my wife and I to book this particular cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary in April 2018.

Thanks for your great review mel-b! This was a major factor in convincing my wife and I to book this particular cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary in April 2018.

Well awesome! That's good to know, and I truly hope y'all enjoy this trip for your 20th. Looks like the POA is coming off a refurb too (if she hasn't already?) I look forward to reading more reviews on the POA, and would love to sail her again in my lifetime.

Thanks for the review!

I have just booked POA for our 10 year Anno in October!

We will have 2 little munchkins trying to ruin it but all good! Can't wait.

I saw that the ship has just had a bit of a refurb too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24-Dec-2015Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Thanks for the review!

I have just booked POA for our 10 year Anno in October!

We will have 2 little munchkins trying to ruin it but all good! Can't wait.

I saw that the ship has just had a bit of a refurb too.

Happy anniversary! I can only imagine your kiddos will have a blast. That's one thing I didn't check out - the kids activities and areas. But I'd imagine just like with any other cruise, you'd have the option to include them or have them hang with their peers while you get adult time. Enjoy your cruise!