Whittier on a B2B

Pushka

We are doing a B2B next year and will have the day in Whittier. The excursions aren't out yet, but was wondering what options we have for the day as we will have had two sea days prior and two days post and will want to get off the boat. We have the same cabin on both legs so no moving required. It is on Coral Princess but we don't need to do a ship excursion.

Edited by Pushka

The excursions from Whittier don’t change much from year to year so you can still get a good idea of what will be offered next year.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exlistfordestination.do?portid=WH1&t=A&exType=S

A day glacier cruise is good option in Whittier. There are also companies that you can book independently that will tailor a day trip out of Whittier around what you’d like to see like Salmon Berry Tours and 907 Tours. Both have received good reviews.

You could also rent a car and do your own thing. It’s easy driving and there is a lot to do within 1 hour of Whittier.

Another option that we just did last weekend is Spencer Glacier. It would take transportation to the Portage rail station but it's just up the road from Whittier.

https://alaskarailroad.com/travel/Destinations/BestDayTours/SpencerGlacierIcebergFloat/tabid/107/Default.aspx

416855084_SpencerGlacierRafting.jpg.513b2bcd3a4f6957d8bfb7d874c744ea.jpg

Edited by Glaciers

There are really only two options in Whittier thru Princess. Ist is the Glacier cruise, 2nd is a bus into Anchorage for the day. I've signed up for the Anchorage tour 4 times only to have it cancelled 3 times for lack of people. This is only for those passengers doing a B2B so you need a fair # for them to run the bus.

If you stay in Whittier about the only thing to see is the small local museum. It is nicely done but at most will only tke one hour of your time.

Last year we rented a car from Avis in Whittier and explored Kenai peninsula. Since ship doesn't leave until evening, we drove to Seward and Exit Glacier. We thought it was a great day with wonderful scenery.

i second the 26 bay glacier cruise, we did this - but not thru the cruise line, we did it independently. Way cheaper and we didn't buy it until we got there to ensure we had good weather.

I wrote all about it in my blog - link below - just click on Whittier label to see and read all about it

Thankyou again. I did see Princess also offered the 26 bay glacier but much more expensive. Is this a trip that travels across possibly rough seas I've read about in this area? I like the idea of waiting until we can check the weather too. Theres a pm tour that would suit given the 8.30 pm departure.

Edited by Pushka

Thankyou again. I did see Princess also offered the 26 bay glacier but much more expensive. Is this a trip that travels across possibly rough seas I've read about in this area? I like the idea of waiting until we can check the weather too. Theres a pm tour that would suit given the 8.30 pm departure.

You are on water- but take a look at a map. The area is somewhat sheltered and not open. There have been some "no sickness" guarantees in the past?

Be aware of the route differences, it isn't just one PWS boat tour. There are at least 3 different routes. You may want to take some time and select one that is preferable to you?

Philips is the ship contractor, I have seen this trip sold out. Walk up booking may be available, but less so, end of season when Major Marine stops their Surprise Glacier run.

I've gotten into the "habit" of taking this tour, every time I'm in mainland Alaska. Last year twice. :) It's nonstop scenery and just mesmerizing for me. :) A very good use of time, if on a back to back and one way cruisers.

I just did the 26 Glacier cruise and also debated about booking thru Princess, or cheaper as a walk up. I ended up booking thru Princess as I had a large amount of onboard credit that I knew I would not spend completely. There were only about 12 of us (I was on the small Pacific Princess) booked from the ship but the boat looked completely full and probably not available if I had tried a walk up.

I've now done the tour with both Phillip and Major Marine (2x) and enjoyed both excursions. I preferred the larger Phillips catamaran as it had more outdoor space. I think in rough waters it probably would have had the smoother ride.