My License

Have you tried calling the port? I know the TSA has ways to allow you to fly with an expired licence. You need more time because they will do extra checks (They have to be convinced that it is you and not someone that took your expired licence when you got a new one). I know this because my boss had a flight home when his licence was expired and he asked what would have happened if he hadn't had his CAC (miltary ID)

As for why they have your licence expire on your birthday (someone asked above) which would be easier to remember... to check your licence around your birthday or some random day in the middle of the year that means absolutely nothing to you.

How would they get a new photo on the license if you renew it online? I know I can renew my car's registration online, but I must always go in to the DMV to renew my license in person. This is in Ohio though. The good thing here is that they print new license cards in the DMV office, so only need to wait a few minutes to have a new card, not 7-10 days. It seems MA is a little behind the times on this.

Don't know when the lat time you renewed is but there is a new Federal Law that does not allow them to do that any longer. We used to get the same thing here in NC, but it changed a few years ago, and now the new one is mailed to you, after they do all the necessary immigration checks.

As for why they have your licence expire on your birthday (someone asked above) which would be easier to remember... to check your licence around your birthday or some random day in the middle of the year that means absolutely nothing to you.

Here in NM our license expires one month after our birthday. That way if we check our license on our birthday we have a month to renew it. Very practical. I don't know why all states don't do that.

Don't know when the lat time you renewed is but there is a new Federal Law that does not allow them to do that any longer. We used to get the same thing here in NC, but it changed a few years ago, and now the new one is mailed to you, after they do all the necessary immigration checks.

I am not sure there is a federal law for something that the states are responsible for, which is what issuing licenses are a state responsibility. DMV.org is a good website to see what different state requirements are for DMV relates items. I looked at Ohio, since it has been a couple years since I renewed, and it indicates that renewal must still be in person.

Looking at MA, the OP should be able to renew online. I hope they would come back and tell us what they do.

I am also not sure why they would do an immigration check when renewing your license? Shoot, some states issue licenses to illegal aliens. Though that is a topic for somewhere else.

Edited by dioxide45

In PA we go in person to the DMV. We can get a camera ready card in the mail after we pay for the renewal on line, our picture is taken and the new license issued immediately. Our old license is returned with a punched hole and we are told to keep it in case we lose our current license. It makes it easier to get a replacement. If we haven't prepaid it just takes longer at DMV. My DH renewed less than a year ago and this is the same procedure we have been using for years. No federal law or immigration check involved. Maybe this is for new licenses?

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I am not sure there is a federal law for something that the states are responsible for, which is what issuing licenses are a state responsibility. DMV.org is a good website to see what different state requirements are for DMV relates items. I looked at Ohio, since it has been a couple years since I renewed, and it indicates that renewal must still be in person.

Looking at MA, the OP should be able to renew online. I hope they would come back and tell us what they do.

I am also not sure why they would do an immigration check when renewing your license? Shoot, some states issue licenses to illegal aliens. Though that is a topic for somewhere else.

The REAL ID act requires states to meet certain requirements when issuing drivers licenses and IDs, including verifying that the person receiving the license has legal presence in the US. If someone is not able to bring in the requisite documentation then they may be issued a non-compliant license/ID and they will not be able to use that to enter any Federal jurisdiction (or if a particular state does not meet the requirement to issue compliant IDs).

The REAL ID act requires states to meet certain requirements when issuing drivers licenses and IDs, including verifying that the person receiving the license has legal presence in the US. If someone is not able to bring in the requisite documentation then they may be issued a non-compliant license/ID and they will not be able to use that to enter any Federal jurisdiction (or if a particular state does not meet the requirement to issue compliant IDs).

That makes sense. Perhaps I am just confused as to why I was quoted in post #77?

In PA we go in person to the DMV. We can get a camera ready card in the mail after we pay for the renewal on line, our picture is taken and the new license issued immediately. Our old license is returned with a punched hole and we are told to keep it in case we lose our current license. It makes it easier to get a replacement. If we haven't prepaid it just takes longer at DMV.

You know, I'm not a big fan of PennDOT, but they did manage to make DL renewals pretty painless.