Sun Princess revamp is new to me

I took a peek at the Sun Princess on line the other day and noticed an IC and a Sushi restaurant. Was this ship intended for the Japanese market?

What other changes have been made? Looks nice in any case :)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Yes it has been used over there doing a season there then here.... WE have done several on her since the changes and it's come up nicely and favourably. .... The I C has been a hit but not the Sushi ....very few folks went there...more staff.glad they left the pizza restaurant too....

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

I loved the Sun fitout. Nice and break now. It looked great. The sushi restaurant doesn't get a lot of use each time I walked past it. It was the same on the Diamond Princess for the repo cruise. Hardly anyone in there. I went for lunch though. Food was very nice.

I think what puts a lot of people off Kai Sushi is the prices.

We tried it at Christmas, when they had a fixed cover charge. A couple of things were very good but I can get better quality sushi and sashimi at my local Woolworths supermarket sushi bar. The udon soup had great flavour but all the seafood in it was overcooked. I certainly wouldn't pay a-la-carte prices.

Overall, Sun was looking very elegant and we enjoyed our cruise on her.

Sun Princess did two seasons in Japan, but we have been told she will not be going back. She now does occasional round-trip cruises to Japan from Sydney. One of the officers on the ship told us that bookings were not good for the Sun in the Japanese market and she was losing a lot of money every day. It makes more sense to do the round-trips out of Australia that are sold-out cruises.:)

I agree with what the other people said - IC great and Kai Sushi has hardly anyone in there. We were told the Kai Sushi restaurant would be taken out, but it hasn't happened yet. We also like the new re-vamped Horizon Court.:)

The Sun also had bidets in all the public toilets and in the suites, but these were taken out last October.

I agree with what the other people said - IC great and Kai Sushi has hardly anyone in there. We were told the Kai Sushi restaurant would be taken out, but it hasn't happened yet.

I wonder what they will put there in its place?, and what was there before Kai Sushi??

I wonder what they will put there in its place?, and what was there before Kai Sushi??

Before Kai Sushi there was a bar that wasn't used very much and several lounges/chairs. It was a nice quiet spot to sit and chat or read a book.

We noticed when we were on the Sun recently, people often sat at the tables in Kai Sushi to play cards, read or do craft work. At a certain time of the day the tables were all set in preparation for lunch (and later for dinner) waiting for customers that didn't come. We commented that they could have just set tables in the area closest to the serving area and maybe put a folding screen across the space like they do for the Sterling Steakhouse. They they could leave the tables at the far end for people to play cards or whatever. On the other hand, setting all the tables does give the staff in Kai Sushi something to do .....;) I can't image how boring it is for the staff - three people (that I could see) there for two meals but in the six week cruise we saw only a handfull of people eating there and some were officers.

The Sun also had bidets in all the public toilets and in the suites, but these were taken out last October.

Such a shame they didn't leave those in place. Don't know why they went to all teh trouble of removing them unless they wanted to reinstall them on another ship - the bidet is actually in the toilet seat so easy to install and remove.

Just recently off the Sun and personally think the Sun layout is currently the best of the Sun class ships. Main reasoning is the inclusion of the 24-7 International Cafe as well as the Horizon Court layout.

Kai Sushi I've been told will be replaced during next dry dock (back to Magnums type of bar).

Common areas looked in better shape than Dawn & Sea, and no sewerage problems (or smells) encountered during my trip which was a plus.

Staff excellent, food standard princess offering which is good.

For the drinkers, Princess ran happy hours twice a day in Wheelhouse bar - buy one and get the second one for $1 from 3:30-4:30pm and 9:30-10:30pm. They also offered at any bar at any time, buy either a Heineken or Dos Equis XX beer and get one free which was also a great deal.

Common areas looked in better shape than Dawn & Sea, and no sewerage problems (or smells) encountered during my trip which was a plus.

Yes, Sea Princess suffers that badly.

I preferred Sun's layout too, but haven't been on her since the revamp.