Königsdam brochure in the new Mariner magazine

Tarpeian Rock

Could that be the forward elevator corridor? Not sure why that'd limit exterior windows but maybe the hallway features decorations on the outside walls?

I was trying to figure out where this area is. Any chance someone could post a photo with that area highlighted?

Could that be the forward elevator corridor? Not sure why that'd limit exterior windows but maybe the hallway features decorations on the outside walls?

None of the elevators are on the outside of the ship, so it's not that. Looking at the deck plans, the porthole appears to be in a small room in the salon/spa area.

None of the elevators are on the outside of the ship, so it's not that. Looking at the deck plans, the porthole appears to be in a small room in the salon/spa area.

Double post

Edited by sppunk

That porthole looking area on lido deck just after it narrows in is bugging me. It throws off the lines. Copper, any idea what that is?

Looking at that area of the deck plan, it is the spa.

image.jpg

Looks like it's a spa massage room maybe.

I agree it is in the Spa although it looks like it is where the Thermal Suite is for the Spa but the question is, Is it only on the Port side??? That would bug me a bit because I like things geometric and that there should be a port hole on the Starboard side as well :D But pretty sure by looking at the deck plan there is not. Not sure why the ship designers, Steiner or Fincantieri would think that one big round port hole would be good there. The big floor to ceiling windows are work quite well the Thermal Suite.

I've Googled the Koningsdam and looked at dozens of photos, but none show the porthole the appears on the scale model. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to see which more accurately portrays the ship.

I agree it is in the Spa although it looks like it is where the Thermal Suite is for the Spa but the question is, Is it only on the Port side??? That would bug me a bit because I like things geometric and that there should be a port hole on the Starboard side as well :D But pretty sure by looking at the deck plan there is not. Not sure why the ship designers, Steiner or Fincantieri would think that one big round port hole would be good there. The big floor to ceiling windows are work quite well the Thermal Suite.

It's where they will place one of those "total body" capsules. That particular port hole window retracts, so as your head is partially outside, you can enjoy, not just wonderful aromas and soothing sounds, but also amazing views outside

Hi

Looking at the Ms Koningsdam Are the promenade deck cabims all going to be listed as"Fully Obstructed? Also I love being on deck. I love the sea I love looking far and wide and just thinking (Day dreaming). I love looking at the wake. Its to bad on this ship you will not be able to look down instead of seeing the sea all you see is the top of the life boats. Beautiful inside But no view from the deck

Mary

This is a bit disconcerting as I think I read somewhere once that the US Coast Guard requires a vessel be able to be completely evacuated in 45 minutes. I could be dreaming that, so don't flame me. Of course, that probably is with 100% favorable conditions and circumstances.

I never found out details of the medical emergency. Maybe it was something they didn't feel they had to move that quick on?

The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) under SOLAS Chapter III Regulation 21.1.4 requires that all survival craft shall be capable of being launched with their full complement of persons within a period of 30 minutes from the time the abandon ship signal is given. However, this regulation stipulates that the 30 minute timeframe only starts when all the passengers have been mustered with lifejackets donned.

I doubt that the launching of a single lifeboat would take 45 minutes in an emergency, and I doubt that a single member of the crew would have been assigned to complete the task if there had been a medical emergency.

I never said there was only one man taking down the lifeboat. There were many crew members at work; only one on top the lifeboat (which was directly outside my window).

I'm certainly not going to make up a story just so I can post something. But, if it makes you feel better, doubt all you want.

My point is that I can see how having the lifeboats on the prominade deck would make evacuating a much quicker process.

Hi

Looking at the Ms Koningsdam Are the promenade deck cabims all going to be listed as"Fully Obstructed? Also I love being on deck. I love the sea I love looking far and wide and just thinking (Day dreaming). I love looking at the wake. Its to bad on this ship you will not be able to look down instead of seeing the sea all you see is the top of the life boats. Beautiful inside But no view from the deck

Mary

Lol. I don't think I've ever seen an OV listed as "Fully Obstructed", no matter how limited the view. 😕

That would be nice, but at least we have CC and other resources to try and find out before booking. 😊

Looking at the Ms Koningsdam Are the promenade deck cabims all going to be listed as"Fully Obstructed? ... Its to bad on this ship you will not be able to look down instead of seeing the sea all you see is the top of the life boats.
There are no Promenade deck cabins, and I see no verandahs marked as even partially obstructed, never mind fully. On the Vista/Sig ships the deck 5 center cabins look down on lifeboats, and on the K it will be those on deck 4.

It's where they will place one of those "total body" capsules. That particular port hole window retracts, so as your head is partially outside, you can enjoy, not just wonderful aromas and soothing sounds, but also amazing views outside

:D Good one!

I never said there was only one man taking down the lifeboat. There were many crew members at work; only one on top the lifeboat (which was directly outside my window).

You said:

At the time, I was simply amused by the little man taking down the lifeboat outside our window.

I think it was quite reasonable, albeit incorrect, to interpret this as I did, and your inclusion now of the additional fact that there was a whole crew working at lowering the lifeboat puts it in a new light.

In any event, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you were making anything up, and I'm sorry that you took it that way.

Edited by Fouremco

You said:

I think it was quite reasonable, albeit incorrect, to interpret this as I did, and your inclusion now of the additional fact that there was a whole crew working at lowering the lifeboat puts it in a new light.

In any event, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you were making anything up, and I'm sorry that you took it that way.

I guess I just didn't think anyone would even vision one man taking down a lifeboat.

At the time, I was just amused by the little man right outside my window (next to me while I was in bed). It was kind of weird. Felt a little creepy having a strange man so close, so I got up out of bed and watched from a little further back so I wouldn't creep him out while he was doing this important task.

There were several crewman below.

I never found out details of the medical emergency. Maybe it was something they didn't feel they had to move that quick on?

I'm certainly not going to make up a story just so I can post something. But, if it makes you feel better, doubt all you want.

My point is that I can see how having the lifeboats on the prominade deck would make evacuating a much quicker process.

Couple of items to add if I may; When lifeboats/tenders are lowered, it takes an entire team of sailors under the supervision of their Bosun and Asst. Bosun and under the leadership of a Deck Officer, usually the 1/O, to do so. The actual lowering of a tender or lifeboat from its normal stowage position to embarkation Deck (where the crew and, during an abandon ship evolution, the passengers, enter(s)) is done by only a single person (probably the "little man" you saw) however, located on a small platform (at approx. the same height level where the boats are stowed) where the winch control for that davit/boat is located.

In the case of a medevac by ship's tender, a lot of things come into play as to how fast that particular boat needs to be lowered to the water. With one exception, the medevacs by boat I've been involved in have always taken place from one of the tender platforms that had been lowered to the water line and rigged by the "boatmen" (similar to what a passenger would experience during tender operations). At the same time, the patient is being "prepped" for transport by medical staff inside the ship's infirmary and then taken to that same tender platform. What I'm attempting to convey is that medevacs by boat, with few exceptions, are not a "we need to get a boat in the water now" type of thing. Operations of that kind are planned before the ship reaches the transfer destination and are usually not time dependent as opposed to a 'abandon ship for all hands" situation. In many such operations, the actual transfer at the tender platform is to a land-based boat, as opposed to a ship's tender but there are exceptions

Lastly, the U.S. Coast Guard regularly observes Abandon Ship crew drills onboard and pay particular attention how the crew operates in emergency situations, including how long it takes them to muster on deck, and how long it takes them to get a boat, or boats, into the water. Passing those drills satisfactory is a prerequisite to passing USCG recertification.

Couple of items to add if I may; When lifeboats/tenders are lowered, it takes an entire team of sailors under the supervision of their Bosun and Asst. Bosun and under the leadership of a Deck Officer, usually the 1/O, to do so. The actual lowering of a tender or lifeboat from its normal stowage position to embarkation Deck (where the crew and, during an abandon ship evolution, the passengers, enter(s)) is done by only a single person (probably the "little man" you saw) however, located on a small platform (at approx. the same height level where the boats are stowed) where the winch control for that davit/boat is located.

In the case of a medevac by ship's tender, a lot of things come into play as to how fast that particular boat needs to be lowered to the water. With one exception, the medevacs by boat I've been involved in have always taken place from one of the tender platforms that had been lowered to the water line and rigged by the "boatmen" (similar to what a passenger would experience during tender operations). At the same time, the patient is being "prepped" for transport by medical staff inside the ship's infirmary and then taken to that same tender platform. What I'm attempting to convey is that medevacs by boat, with few exceptions, are not a "we need to get a boat in the water now" type of thing. Operations of that kind are planned before the ship reaches the transfer destination and are usually not time dependent as opposed to a 'abandon ship for all hands" situation. In many such operations, the actual transfer at the tender platform is to a land-based boat, as opposed to a ship's tender but there are exceptions

Lastly, the U.S. Coast Guard regularly observes Abandon Ship crew drills onboard and pay particular attention how the crew operates in emergency situations, including how long it takes them to muster on deck, and how long it takes them to get a boat, or boats, into the water. Passing those drills satisfactory is a prerequisite to passing USCG recertification.

That does ease my mind. Thank you 😊

If you look at the Konigsdam on Hal's website and choose explore the ship, then choose activities you will find a picture of a couple walking on a deck like the one we all know and love. Hal's description of the Konigsdam's promanade is as follows -- "A nautical tradition, our teak Promanade Deck encircles the ship, offering spectacular views in every direction - the perfect place for a brisk run, an after dinner stroll or simply relaxing on a clasic teak lounge chair."

Wow, there is a lot of interesting reading here. Now I'm trying to catch up. I'm booked on the Nov 23/16 S. Caribbean. Sadly, I think HAL has dropped me from their mailing list...it's been a while since I've sailed with them. I love Celebrity's Solstice class for its airiness and am looking forward to having a new favourite. :) I'll give them another week then will call the Mariner Society and see if I can get a copy of the brochures.

Okay, now, wait a minute: it takes an entire team to lower a lifeboat, or one guy? Am I understanding that it takes a team to get it ready and loaded, but only one guy to actually lower it? Seems like I remember looking at one of those direction placards (whatever you want to call it) attached to a davit or maybe it was attached to a bulkhead showing only one person was needed to launch it. If it operates by gravity, which is how I think it works, all the guy launching it has to do is set the boat in motion and then jump into/onto it and ride it down. If that's the case, then that's the answer to my question, "how does the last man get off a sinking ship?"