Königsdam brochure in the new Mariner magazine

Tarpeian Rock

Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't you just sit on a portion of the Promenade Deck where the views are not obstructed? It's not going to be 100% of the way around that is like that...

not to mention the other public decks that will also have tons of lounge chairs, etc...

The other public decks are not as shaded as the older ships.. Both unobstructed sides of the ship have lifeboats on them..The lifeboats on the other ships provide shade for us.. We live in Fla & don't need to sit in the sun..

We always sit out under the lifeboats in the shade, but there are many who sit out there & even now if we don't get out early enough those seats are gone.. Also the areas where there are no lifeboats, look like they are enclosed in metal instead of the openness of the other areas..

I would love to be able to actually see this ship, when it comes to Fla...But doubt that it will be possible, unless HAL has a special Mariner Luncheon while it's in port..

Edited by serendipity1499

Got my Mariner Magazine and Koningsdam brochure last night. I must be in the minority, because I think the ship looks very exciting, with several new eating and entertainment venues. In fact, I was so impressed I called my sister to tell her about it!

Roz

P.S. Lisa, I'm old enough to remember that song. Cute cruising remix of it. :D

Got my Mariner Magazine and Koningsdam brochure last night. I must be in the minority, because I think the ship looks very exciting, with several new eating and entertainment venues. In fact, I was so impressed I called my sister to tell her about it!

Roz

P.S. Lisa, I'm old enough to remember that song. Cute cruising remix of it. :D

I think most people are excited about it. I know that some folks do like the old ships. I'd be pretty ok never sailing on an old ship again.

Over the next 10 yrs. we're going to see some more of the older ships retire from the HAL fleet, so those that want the smaller ships are going to have less choice.

Roz

Got my Mariner Magazine and Koningsdam brochure last night. I must be in the minority, because I think the ship looks very exciting, with several new eating and entertainment venues. ..........................

You're not in the minority! ;)

I must be in the minority, because I think the ship looks very exciting, with several new eating and entertainment venues.

It doesn't matter how many entertainment venues the Koningsdam has if the entertainment isn't fun.

There's plenty of room on every ship to have a decent variety of nighttime entertainment that would satisfy a spectrum of tastes. But that doesn't happen. So much of the music playlists are duplicated from one venue to another.

Even if you find something that's just perfect for you, the venues close down early. Adagio is done with at 10:00! Some of us have barely finished dinner by then. We would like to go in for a while, but the place is shutting down in a few minutes.

I got my copy of Mariner yesterday, along with many folks. I was also excited to view the new Koningsdam brochure. She is going to be a very sexy ship, and I think she represents a very logical evolution of HAL's brand. As someone who has sailed mostly with Norwegian the past few years, I feel like Koningsdam was designed for me personally. I will be 48 years old in October, I sail a few times a year, and I think I'm the type of passenger HAL is trying to attract. In fact, I'm on a wait list for Koningsdam's Northern Isles sailing, so the ship must be doing it's work. ;)

I am particularly intrigued by the new single cabins, although there are too few. (I hope HAL will install more on the second build in the class.) The many new restaurant options appeal very much to my Norwegian side. The new Music Walk seems like a nice evolution of Mix on Maasdam. The Lido and Seaview pools are very compelling, as always, but with an additional restaurant and bar. I think the upper terrace might be a good shade option for folks who are lamenting the new promenade configuration. (I love the magrodome roof over the Lido Pool more than any other feature on HAL. It saved our sea day on Maasdam last week!)

For all the folks who have declared that they will never sail a Pinnacle-class ship, I'm afraid you may be missing out on a lot of great features. And I'm willing to bet that once aboard, Koningsdam will feel very much like a Holland America ship. Happy sailing!

While I love the "S" Class (Maasdam in particular), I am excited about HAL's new ship. I got my magazine and the brochure for Koningsdam today and I'm excited about the this ship. I'm happy about more specialty restaurants, don't much care about the new show lounge as I rarely go to the shows but sure looks like there will be plenty to do and enjoy what appears to be a beautiful addition to HAL's fleet, IMO

As someone who has sailed mostly with Norwegian the past few years, I feel like Koningsdam was designed for me personally. I will be 48 years old in October, I sail a few times a year, and I think I'm the type of passenger HAL is trying to attract.

For all the folks who have declared that they will never sail a Pinnacle-class ship, I'm afraid you may be missing out on a lot of great features. And I'm willing to bet that once aboard, Koningsdam will feel very much like a Holland America ship. Happy sailing!

I think you hit the nail on the head. When you are building a ship for 15-20 years of profits you are building a ship for a shifting demographic. I have personally introduced a few 'peer couples' to HAL after they sailed other lines. They are sold on the Vista and Signature ships.

Dennis

I never thought to sail with such a huge ship. Ms Rotterdam was huge enough for me. But then we saw in May pictures of the new ship and the deck plan. It is awesome. Especially the World Stage and dining room. But also the bright verandah cabins, Sel de Mer and the Music Walk. And the price was okay, so we booked. And now we check the web every day for new information or new pictures. Very exciting.

That little marketing brochure we all got has done exactly what HAL wanted. Just this small community of CCers has been buzzing about it since it came out. All the pro and con discussions have generated interest, looks at the deck plans, etc. A year away and folks are anxious to see what it will be like and are making bookings. Win, win for HAL! And you can bet as time nears there will be some splashy TV ads.

I especially like that some very loyal CCers have booked early sailings. They will give us honest feedback. Can't wait to hear all about it.

We really think that the new color scheme is attractive. Very light and airy. I know that a lot of people think that this is huge ship, but it's not anywhere near as big as QM2 --- or a heckuva lot of other cruise ships built in the last 15 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world%27s_largest_cruise_ships

I especially like that some very loyal CCers have booked early sailings. They will give us honest feedback. Can't wait to hear all about it.

We are on the Greek and Turkish Treasures 15 April 16. That is if there are not any further launch delays or perish the thought we get 'asked' to move to accommodate some travel bigwig :). Since all the Neptunes are already booked our SC guarantee looks to be an SC guaranteed :)

Dennis

We really think that the new color scheme is attractive. Very light and airy. I know that a lot of people think that this is huge ship, but it's not anywhere near as big as QM2 --- or a heckuva lot of other cruise ships built in the last 15 years.

This is exactly right. IMO those bashing HAL for building a bigger ship are off the mark, I think HAL should get some credit for NOT building a bigger ship.

They incredibly easily - and probably cheaper - could have built a 130,000 ton 3100 ship. They didn't, they bucked a trend and set their own course.

SPECULATION: In 5 years Princess and HAL will be one, HAL will be the "small ships" and Princess will the "big ships". Koningsdam and her sister will be the first to move this forward.

We also like the new lighter shades.

This is exactly right. IMO those bashing HAL for building a bigger ship are off the mark, I think HAL should get some credit for NOT building a bigger ship.

They incredibly easily - and probably cheaper - could have built a 130,000 ton 3100 ship. They didn't, they bucked a trend and set their own course.

SPECULATION: In 5 years Princess and HAL will be one, HAL will be the "small ships" and Princess will the "big ships". Koningsdam and her sister will be the first to move this forward.

Interesting theory about the possible meaning of "Holland America Group" in the future. You may be right about the size differentiation between the brands. Pinnacle-class at 99,500 GT is appreciably smaller than Royal-class at 141,000 GT and with 910 fewer passengers per sailing. We should mention that Pinnacle-class is also smaller than Celebrity's Solstice-class by 22,500 GT and will sail with 200 fewer passengers. So HAL retains it's title as the small-ship brand.

Having just got my feet wet with Princess, I have to say that I like HAL's style a lot better, even if Princess is a bit more energetic in theory. But I realize that's a personal thing. And Koningsdam seems to up the energy level just a bit.

BTW, we will be shipmates in August 2016 on Koningsdam's Southern Caribbean Wayfarer sailing. Looking forward to it.

We got our Mariner magazine and the brochure today in the mail. (not too bad in the middle of nowhere is it? LOL).

DH likes the look of it :eek:

for those of you that have already booked it, I have a question/favour to ask.

I am curious what the surcharge is for the new seafood restaurant (Sel de Mer I think it's called)

When the specialty dining opens up, if you wouldn't mind letting us know what the cost is, it would be appreciated. thanks :)

We got our Mariner magazine and the brochure today in the mail. (not too bad in the middle of nowhere is it? LOL).

DH likes the look of it :eek:

for those of you that have already booked it, I have a question/favour to ask.

I am curious what the surcharge is for the new seafood restaurant (Sel de Mer I think it's called)

When the specialty dining opens up, if you wouldn't mind letting us know what the cost is, it would be appreciated. thanks :)

Remind me if I forget, I'll get all the scoops for you.

I know a very good CCer sailing the inaugural who will supply info to me as well.

Interesting theory about the possible meaning of "Holland America Group" in the future. You may be right about the size differentiation between the brands. Pinnacle-class at 99,500 GT is appreciably smaller than Royal-class at 141,000 GT and with 910 fewer passengers per sailing. We should mention that Pinnacle-class is also smaller than Celebrity's Solstice-class by 22,500 GT and will sail with 200 fewer passengers. So HAL retains it's title as the small-ship brand.

Having just got my feet wet with Princess, I have to say that I like HAL's style a lot better, even if Princess is a bit more energetic in theory. But I realize that's a personal thing. And Koningsdam seems to up the energy level just a bit.

BTW, we will be shipmates in August 2016 on Koningsdam's Southern Caribbean Wayfarer sailing. Looking forward to it.

Great! I'll buy you a wang wang!

Remind me if I forget, I'll get all the scoops for you.

I know a very good CCer sailing the inaugural who will supply info to me as well.

Just curious.

I booked last week for the Caribbean sailing. I am so excited to see something new and innovative from HAL. As someone in his early 30's I really appreciate the attention to detail and execution from the crew overall. The design and light aspects to all the new dining and entertainment options want me to be one of the first cruisers during her inaugural year.