Königsdam brochure in the new Mariner magazine

Tarpeian Rock

So this is the first big picture of the ship I've been able to study. Perhaps this has been discussed before, but the position of the lifeboats appears to block the view from virtually all the promenade deck. Could that be correct?

Edited by Tarpeian Rock

Yesterday I got a brochure for cruises leaving from North America because I put my mariner number in to get a quote on Canada/New England cruise in July. Alas, I can't afford a cruise this year.

Us too. The World Cruise marketing package came on Friday.

Gee, I thought Ohio was a bit closer to Seattle than Florida.:rolleyes: (And, I did well in my geography classes as a student.):D

I can only hope the Mariner Magazine will eventually arrive.

Yup, we got it Thursday.

No outside elevators because revenue cabins make much more sense in their place. The promenade will be wrapped around but like you said largely useless for relaxing due to the lifeboats. There is much speculation whether it's a SOLAS requirement.

Yes, this has been discussed. It is not the usual walk around Promenade Decks we are accustomed to on HAL ships. The lifeboats sit on the deck.

I was looking for a cruise on this new ship, guess I will cross it off my list, just like I did the new Princess Royal and REgal... if they don't have a wrap around deck... I am not interested. I will not waist my time. The older ships which I like are cheaper too. smile.

I was looking for a cruise on this new ship, guess I will cross it off my list, just like I did the new Princess Royal and REgal... if they don't have a wrap around deck... I am not interested. I will not waist my time. The older ships which I like are cheaper too. smile.

There is a 360 degree promenade. It just in portions becomes narrow to allow for the lifeboats. We will know how they handle it more in a few months but it won't be a wide open relaxing deck, the chairs will be more aft. The days of open promenades are done, and not all because companies want to screw over the pax.

You can get a little sense on this photo from late March.

image.jpg

Edited by sppunk

We received our copy yesterday.

The ship is clearly a new design. I remember several years ago when Celebrity cruisers were complaining about the new Solstice class, before they were delivered. We have since sailed on three of them and think they are fabulous ships. We need to give it time.

That said, several things look very different. The picture of the lido looks nothing like the Lido on any of the current ships. Also, the main theatre has a 270 degree LED screen with seats surrounding much of the stage. In addition, there is the new Sel de Mar Seafood Brasserie, The Grand Dutch Cafe, and the NY Deli & Pizza.

It should be interesting. While many would probably prefer the old ships (we are on the Statendam next month), this new design should appeal to a large number of cruisers.

Do you need to be a multi-star Mariner in order to get this magazine?

Unless something has changed, and I didn't hear about it, the magazine is supposed to be sent to all Mariners. However, it is sent out in batches, so it can take a while from the time the first recipients get it and the last ones have theirs.

Few love the "S" Class ships more than me but I am eager to see Koningsdam. She sounds like a new, attractive direction for HAL.

I really think she will be beautiful. We are booked for Thanksgiving 2016 to see her first-hand.