What to Do at FLL for Early Morning Arrival on Jetblue?

alocsin

We're arriving in Jetblue at around 6:30am at Fort Lauderdale Airport, Terminal 3. Since the cruise port (Oasis of the Seas) doesn't open until 10am, what can we do at the airport to kill time?

Are there restaurants we can sit and eat at after we get our baggage?

Are there lounge chairs to hang out in?

There are plenty of places to grab a bite that early in the morning. Just be aware they are not located outside security. You will need to stay in the secured area. I know of only one restaurant located outside of the secure area. Although, it is 24/7.

Reserve a cheap room near FLL for the night before, and then call the hotel (not the 800#) and let them know you will be checking in about 7:00 - grab some breakfast, a shower, a nap and maybe a dip in the pool. Ask for a late check out and then cab to the ship about 1:00 :cool:

There are plenty of places to grab a bite that early in the morning. Just be aware they are not located outside security. You will need to stay in the secured area. I know of only one restaurant located outside of the secure area. Although, it is 24/7.

Is baggage claim still within the security area? I'd like to get our bags before eating.

Another option if you don't want a room , cab to a hotel near the port, have breakfast there, relax in the lobby and then head to the port. The hotel concierge will hold your bags with a tip while eating. Better than the airport.

Reserve a cheap room near FLL for the night before, and then call the hotel (not the 800#) and let them know you will be checking in about 7:00 - grab some breakfast, a shower, a nap and maybe a dip in the pool. Ask for a late check out and then cab to the ship about 1:00 :cool:

I second this.

Jet lag for me from west to east is brutal.

I can't imagine trying to function that morning.

We don't typically suffer jet lag in either direction when we're heading to our vacation. And that includes trips to the other side of the world in Asia. In fact, we're so keyed up with excitement that we can't sleep for several hours. So arriving early in the morning is ideal.

We usually crash from jet lag when we get home from any direction.

You're asking advice and here is mine: personally, I don't see the point of taking a hotel room for just a few hours. I think it is a waste of time and money. If you are anything like us, you will want to be at the pier and start your vacation as soon as possible, but in my experience they do not open for boarding or receiving passengers at 10:00 - that seems too early, as they are still clearing the disembarking passengers from the Port at that time. I would head over for around 10:30 am. A cab will be about $15.00 for up to 4 of you.

At the airport get your luggage, grab some coffee and breakfast, settle in with the free wifi (it was free when we were there last), and just wait it out. Hop into a cab just after 10 and you will be set to go. :)

You're asking advice and here is mine: personally, I don't see the point of taking a hotel room for just a few hours. I think it is a waste of time and money. :).

Thanks, we're definitely considering that option. Chili's Too seems to be open early enough and service there is reputed to be excruciatingly slow. So we could kill time there.

Thanks, we're definitely considering that option. Chili's Too seems to be open early enough and service there is reputed to be excruciatingly slow. So we could kill time there.

I don't see Chili's Too listed pre-security on FLL's website any longer, but maybe I am just missing it. I know when we were at FLL in 2014 Chili's Too pre-security had nothing there. They advertised soup and nachos, but neither were available. We were waiting for my parents to come in on a later flight and I was grateful that I still had part of my breakfast sandwich saved from before my flight.

I would consider sending one person ahead for the luggage and the second person picking up some breakfast and meeting after picking up the luggage.

I don't see Chili's Too listed pre-security on FLL's website any longer, but maybe I am just missing it.

Maybe that's no longer an option then. Finding a place to eat then will kill even more time ;)

Whatever option we decide, I'll put it in our trip report -- I hope to do a live one when the time comes.

I don't see Chili's Too listed pre-security on FLL's website any longer, but maybe I am just missing it. I know when we were at FLL in 2014 Chili's Too pre-security had nothing there. They advertised soup and nachos, but neither were available. We were waiting for my parents to come in on a later flight and I was grateful that I still had part of my breakfast sandwich saved from before my flight.

I would consider sending one person ahead for the luggage and the second person picking up some breakfast and meeting after picking up the luggage.

Chili's is now after going thru security:(. From talking to the staff, it's seems Chili's was not very happy with the change as many people would go there to eat while they were waiting for someone coming in on an inbound flight.

Maybe that's no longer an option then. Finding a place to eat then will kill even more time ;)

Whatever option we decide, I'll put it in our trip report -- I hope to do a live one when the time comes.

You could also go to the Denny's on Federal Highway. It is just past 17th Street and you could sit down and take your time with breakfast. If you land at 6:30 you should be there by 7:30.

From there you could walk down 17th Street (if you can handle your luggage) and stop at Publix for any last minute items, hop a cab there to the port.

Or you could hop on the Trolley for a couple of hours and ride it around.

You could also go to the Denny's on Federal Highway. It is just past 17th Street and you could sit down and take your time with breakfast. If you land at 6:30 you should be there by 7:30.

From there you could walk down 17th Street (if you can handle your luggage) and stop at Publix for any last minute items, hop a cab there to the port.

Or you could hop on the Trolley for a couple of hours and ride it around.

We could easily do the walk to Denny's without luggage but it's a bit of a trek with our suitcases.

I like the Sun Trolley idea though. Does that go to the Airport?

We could easily do the walk to Denny's without luggage but it's a bit of a trek with our suitcases.

I like the Sun Trolley idea though. Does that go to the Airport?

Yes, the Sun Trolley does do the airport but it is Saturday and Sunday from 9am until 4PM so the hours are restricted.

You couldn't walk to Denny's from the airport.

Take a taxi from FLL after you arrive and take the short five minute cab ride to Grampas Restaurant which is located in Dania Beach, just west of Federal Highway (US1). They have a great breakfast menu and you can easily spend a hour or two there. After breakfast the cab ride to Port Everglades is only ten minutes. A very nice way to kill a few hours before you board your ship.