Do you want an honest review of Oasis of the Seas?

We returned from the Eastern itinerary on Oasis of the Seas 6/20.

I will begin by saying we cruise fairly often and we did have a good time. The worst day on a cruise is better that the best day at work.

I have pictures and some funny stories but there are so many reviews of this ship already. It's because it is huge. There were 6400 passengers.

I'll tell you what I didn't like and what I liked. I'm not a sore head and I am pretty funny but I'm also very direct.

When I figure out how to attach a decent sized photo I'll include images.

2145849525_St.Thomas6-16-15.jpg.90e5a93c42d3fd31942a2ccc8df8b223.jpg

Yes, please give us your opinion. We did the Freedom a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't mind sailing her again in the near future, but really want to try the Oasis. The ship would be the vacation, not the ports of call. I am concerned that bigger is not always better.

Am I the only person who reads a title like this and thinks "does the poster think everyone else is not being honest"? :confused:

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that. All my live reports are honest. Or is that different to a review in that they're as it happened (well pretty much, let's not get pedantic) as opposed to drawn from memory?

Am I the only person who reads a title like this and thinks "does the poster think everyone else is not being honest"? :confused:

I didn't think that at all. It does seem as though most "reviews" here are celebratory recappings of wonderful family vacations. And while those are really enjoyable in their own way, they aren't always an "honest" review of the particular cruise experience.

By popular demand I shall begin. I still haven't figured out how to get a large image on a post.

The food was worse than Luby's and better than the school cafeteria. I've had better steaks than Chops in Texas and it was cheaper also. I was really burned out on the food by day 3. I liked the guacamole at Sabor but nothing else at that restaurant. I liked Johnny Rockets. The anytime dining (or whatever they call it) is problematic. It works fine if you have a reservation. If you don't be prepared to wait an hour for a table. We were late for our show one night. We were told we didn't need a reservation by the restaurant staff. It was pretty tasteless. I hated every single thing at Vintage. We went there to try something different and it was just gross. The only thing edible was the stuffed pimento.

The entertainment was better than most cruise ships. My favorite was the aqua show. I thought one of the divers would go SPLAT. The underwater stage raises and lowers while you're not looking. One minute they look like they are walking on water and the next someone is diving from 60 feet. It's quite thrilling.

The ice show was great. The story line was for children but the pairs skating was exceptional. I thought her head was going to hit the ice for sure. The throws and spins were professional level.

I almost peed on myself at the comedy show. I know better than to sit on the front row or yell out TEXAS.

The room steward was very good. She was always working in the hall and kept our ice bucket full. She added an egg crate to my bed. We tipped her well and she called me Mrs. Bell. I love a tidy room. The pillows are flat as pancakes. I didn't really sleep well until about night 4.

I didn't think that at all. It does seem as though most "reviews" here are celebratory recappings of wonderful family vacations. And while those are really enjoyable in their own way, they aren't always an "honest" review of the particular cruise experience.

Some people are worried about getting picked on so they only tell the good stuff.

Why not? Do you have to have something bad happen for it to be honest?

That's not what I meant. Maybe "honest" is the wrong word. Maybe "frank" or "objective" is better. I like hearing people tell what an amazing time they had, because I usually do as well. But it is also nice to get "honest" feedback on quality of food, service, conditions, etc... without having to put it in the context of how enjoyable the overall experience was.

. I've had better steaks than Chops in Texas and it was cheaper also. .

Ive had better steaks than Chops at Western Sizzlin :cool: Seriously. And MUCH cheaper. Chops is "meh" to us now and no longer worth the upcharge. Twice we have given it a chance with the same end result. Sad too because we enjoyed it very much back a few years ago (2011).

Edited by ryano

Ive had better steaks than Chops at Western Sizzlin :cool: Seriously. And MUCH cheaper. Chops is "meh" to us now and no longer worth the upcharge. Twice we have given it a chance with the same end result. Sad too because we enjoyed it very much back a few years ago (2011).

One of my biggest issues with these mass market lines is the insistence that everything be frozen. With all the amazing things they are doing on board these ships, how about a meat locker? Get sides of beef and cut fresh. There's an ice rink, a merry-go-round and a moving bar on board for crying out loud! Can't they crack the technology of fresh meat????

One of my biggest issues with these mass market lines is the insistence that everything be frozen. With all the amazing things they are doing on board these ships, how about a meat locker? Get sides of beef and cut fresh. There's an ice rink, a merry-go-round and a moving bar on board for crying out loud! Can't they crack the technology of fresh meat????

I think that the steaks are not frozen though. They order it in large primals and then cut the steaks themselves. This whole process wouldn't lend itself to frozen meat. They don't order the whole side, but a whole loin, etc. Usually frozen meat is already preportioned so that it can be frozen quicker and maintain some integrity in the product. The chicken and seafood is probably frozen.

My issue with the steaks has been just the overall quality of the steak and the cooking method. I always see them smashing the meat so it cooks faster, and subsequently, they dry it out.

I think everyone who posts a review is an honest review. Each person is for the most part telling there honest story and there honest experience of what happened to them. That is the best part of a review....you might have hated your dinner at chops where the person sitting at the table next to you might have thought it was the best meal ever.

Some people are worried about getting picked on so they only tell the good stuff.

I'm not sure that's true.

I tend to agree more with this train of thought. Opinions are subjective. Two people can be in the same place at the same time and experience virtually the same thing yet have two completely different perspectives of that experience. It doesn't make one a cheerleader and the other overly sensitive. People simply have vastly different expectations of what constitutes a good meal, show, drink, etc.

Some people want vacations to be relaxing - others want full on action morning to night. To some, fun means swimming, games and rock climbing walls. To others, fun means bingo, trivia, karaoke, video games and table tennis. It's all subjective!

Some expect fine dining experiences while others are very much satisfied with (what I like to call) banquet food. And on the subject of food, some consider "fine dining" to be Outback Steakhouse, while others consider "fine dining" to be Ruth's Chris. It's all subjective!

The reader should look at reviews with the understanding that what is being reported is based strictly on another person's expectations and just because they loved or hated something doesn't mean everyone else will walk away with the same experience.

There is no 100% honest review out there, because one person's expectations may be reasonable to them but completely irrational to someone else.

And that is just my 100% honest opinion. :D

That is the best part of a review....you might have hated your dinner at chops where the person sitting at the table next to you might have thought it was the best meal ever.

I agree. Food is so subjective. We disliked Giovanni's Table, but enjoyed Vintages and Chops. I also think a food review depends upon what part of the US you come from and what kind of food appeals most to that region as to whether or not you like a particular restaurant.

I enjoy reading all reviews since everyone finds something on a cruise ship that appeals to them and maybe I would not have explored that particular venue if I had not read about it here.

Keep writing because most of us are interested in what you have to say.

I pretty much stopped reading after this:

I agree. There were so many different tapas we enjoyed at Vintages, I just figured the OP and I were from different planets.

Edited by clarea