Carrying on your own wine

tiggrbaby

My sister didn't get the UBP, so she was thinking of bringing her own wine on board.

1. Is there a limit to how many bottles she can bring on as a single? I am assuming she carries them on.

2. Is the corkage fee automatic, or will she have to pay it for only the bottles she brings to the restaurants?

3. When paying the fee for corkage at the restaurants, do they store the leftover wine for the next night?

Thanks for all info I can pass on to her!

My sister didn't get the UBP, so she was thinking of bringing her own wine on board.

1. Is there a limit to how many bottles she can bring on as a single? I am assuming she carries them on.

No.

2. Is the corkage fee automatic, or will she have to pay it for only the bottles she brings to the restaurants?

Automatic. You pay before boarding. Fee is charged no matter where you drink it.

3. When paying the fee for corkage at the restaurants, do they store the leftover wine for the next night?

Yes. They will be glad to store the remainder of the wine upon request

Thanks for all info I can pass on to her!

Answers above, also from NCL.com:

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Edited by ColinIllinois

There is no limit on the number of bottles. People usually carry them on, and they usually make you pay the corkage right there upon boarding. (I guess you can put wine in your checked luggage, but then it probably won't get delivered to your cabin and you will be called to collect it yourself and pay the corkage.) You have to pay corkage on all bottles brought on board, no matter where you plan to drink them. The restaurants will store unfinished bottles for you.

Our experience on the Getaway last month was: they flag your luggage with the wine. Open, look and write out an automatic charge to your account for every 750 ml bottle. My daughter brought a 1.5 ltr and we paid $30 for that bottle. We got to bring them to our room. Could have taken them to the dining room(s). I think they would have kept it, although we used in our room even though we had drink package. Ate in different dining rooms each night so I think was really easier to get from their nearest bar. Hope that helps some.

Kathryn

Guest phd1003

When we did it we paid the corkage at the port and sent it to our room...It was $15 a bottle (more if it's over 750ml size)...That was just easier for us, if we were going to a show, we would just stop by the room, grab a bottle and glasses and head out...

If carrying on is too much hassle your sister might look into the VIVA VINO package. You choose 4, 6, 8 bottles and they have an assortment of wines. If you do a search for viva vino I think there is a price list and wine list somewhere here.

We brought ours on once. The next time we bought the wine package. By the time you buy the wine and pay the corkage fee you don't save a lot bringing your own on. If you want it for your balcony then bring it on and pay the corkage, if you want it for the dining room, i say get the package.

By the time you buy the wine and pay the corkage fee you don't save a lot bringing your own on.

This really depends on the wine.

I brought on a bottle of Pouilly Fuisse that cost me about $20 so with the corkage fee the total was $35.

The same bottle on the ship was $59 plus 18% gratuity equaling $69.62.

I saved almost $35 on one bottle of wine. If you are bringing several bottles of similarly or higher priced wine, the savings could be in the hundreds.

Lois

This really depends on the wine.

I brought on a bottle of Pouilly Fuisse that cost me about $20 so with the corkage fee the total was $35.

The same bottle on the ship was $59 plus 18% gratuity equaling $69.62.

I saved almost $35 on one bottle of wine. If you are bringing several bottles of similarly or higher priced wine, the savings could be in the hundreds.

Lois

I have some $12 - $14 bottles of wine that I really enjoy. I'd much rather carry them on and pay the $15 each, than spend the same amount on bottles that retail for $6, that I don't enjoy (we drive to the port, so no fuss). My sister is a wine snob, looked at DCL's wine list, and found none to her liking, so flew with her own wine.

I'm assuming they find the bottles in your luggage when baggage is x-rayed?

Last year in Vancouver BC it was so crazy they never even noticed the two bottles in my backpack. I am a compulsive role-follower, so when I spotted the man with the corkage fee stickers, I pointed out my wine. 😈