Any News on an X Return to Baltimore?

urc12

My wife will not fly so we have taken our last 5 cruises on the Grandeur out of Baltimore. Nice ship, and a great crew, but I am really missing Celebrity. We did our honeymoon on the Horizon and several other cruises on the Mercury and the Century.

Give me some hope, tell me some good news, make my day. Over on the RCCL boards there are rumblings of this possibility but little or no details.

They don't have enough ships. Royal Caribbean has 3 times the ships Celebrity does.

The new builds for Celebrity don't start coming out until 2018 at that time they will most likely start selling the M Class Ships, which we were told by the Hotel Director on our recent Summit cruise are the most expensive ships to run.

Sorry to give discouraging news but it seems unlikely that Celebrity would return to Baltimore, due to the fact that their current (and proposed) ships cannot fit under the Bay Bridge. Bummer! I live within twenty miles of the port and would love to avoid SWA to Ft. L. or the drive to Bayonne. Loved the Christmas/New Years cruises on the Mercury.

I don't think that the M-Class ships can fit under Key Bridge.

Hi Wine-O

I think you are correct. I remember a very informative post from a while back, mentioning only the Century class ships could sail into Baltimore. As they are gone from the fleet, Celebrity does not have a ship that would be able to sail from this port - even if they wanted to.

On the bright side, there's always the option of Summit from Bayonne. I realize it's not a perfect solution, but she's a great ship.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Wine-O

I think you are correct. I remember a very informative post from a while back, mentioning only the Century class ships could sail into Baltimore. As they are gone from the fleet, Celebrity does not have a ship that would be able to sail from this port - even if they wanted to.

On the bright side, there's always the option of Summit from Bayonne. I realize it's not a perfect solution, but she's a great ship.

We took Galaxy out of Baltimore in 2003. Love that size ship. We took Summit last week from Bayonne. Love their new terminal -- no bus to ride to the ship. She will be refurbed this coming February, and taking her gain next year. :)

My wife will not fly so we have taken our last 5 cruises on the Grandeur out of Baltimore. Nice ship, and a great crew, but I am really missing Celebrity. We did our honeymoon on the Horizon and several other cruises on the Mercury and the Century.

Give me some hope, tell me some good news, make my day. Over on the RCCL boards there are rumblings of this possibility but little or no details.

Not sure who is rumbling but there has been no news of Celebrity

sailing out Baltimore. Did you ask the people over on the Royal forum

where they heard of this possibility? The last time Celebrity sailed

from there was when Mercury was on her final cruises...that was

quite a long time ago.

Sorry this is no hope to give you and Anne Maria is correct....there

are only 9 ships in the fleet and they all have full itineraries....none

sailing out of Maryland.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see if the Summit will work for us.

Eric

Liberty of the Seas is also currently sailing out of Bayonne and then Anthem arrives in November 2015 and Liberty will sail to Galveston. You could look into those sailings as well.

Summit is only in Bayonne from May through mid October. It does 1 week Bermuda cruises and then 3 - 2 week New England/Canada cruises, then the repositioning cruise from Bayonne to San Juan.

Edited by CruisingChick

The Port of Baltimore is a doomed harbor when it comes to the mass market cruise industry. The folly of building a cruise facility on the up bay side of the Francis Scott Key Bridge has come home to roost. The major mass market cruise lines are no longer building ships that can fit under that bridge and there is a little prospect for the future. There are still smaller vessels that will be able to bridge but lines like Celebrity seems to be heading in the direction of larger ships.

Hank

The Port of Baltimore is a doomed harbor when it comes to the mass market cruise industry. The folly of building a cruise facility on the up bay side of the Francis Scott Key Bridge has come home to roost. The major mass market cruise lines are no longer building ships that can fit under that bridge and there is a little prospect for the future. There are still smaller vessels that will be able to bridge but lines like Celebrity seems to be heading in the direction of larger ships.

Hank

Actually the Hotel Director on our Summit cruise said that the new ships, "Project Edge" will be smaller than the S class, but larger than the M Class. So at least Celebrity is not going bigger but taking a step back.

Actually the Hotel Director on our Summit cruise said that the new ships, "Project Edge" will be smaller than the S class, but larger than the M Class. So at least Celebrity is not going bigger but taking a step back.

Correct, that was in the press release announcing the building of the new ships so Baltimore is pretty much not an option. Don't know if doing something with the funnels like they did on Solstice to get into Vancouver is an option. I suspect in the long run like others that Celebrity does not have enough ships to make Baltimore a viable option. Too many other places to make more money.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/about-celebrity/about-celebrity-overview#footer_pages_about_celebrity_press_room_tab/about-celebrity/press-room%3Fsubtab=true&year=2014&event_date=2014-12-04&sequence_code=a

Edited by dkjretired