Real beach, not man made

curious_st

I am looking for a "real" beach with a gentle slope to splash around in the water. I am turned off by the thought of a retaining wall back filled with trucked-in sand - I'm looking at you, Money Bar, Chankanaab, El Cid. I am also trying to get by without spending a ton of money. We would most likely order a couple of cokes, maybe 1 - 2 mixed drinks, and possible some nachos or some other snack. I can't justify the cost of an AI with our lightweight drinking habits. We just want a relaxing, low-key day.

Any suggestions?

Either the non-AI side of Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach should meet your needs. Cab fare for either will be about $17 each way for up to 4 in the taxi, so pair up with others on your roll call or in the taxi line to save $$ :cool:

You could try the east side of the island, of course, it isn't always suitable for swimming. The west side often has to supplement its beaches due to the geography of the island. The conditions that make it a mecca for scuba diving (off shore reefs, iron shores) don't make Cozumel beaches the greatest.

But the southern beaches are mostly decent.

I've only been to Cozumel twice: Passion Island the first time and Chankanaab the second.

Passion Island is a beautiful beach, but you have to ride a boat to get there and it is AI -- food and drinks.

Chankanaab has a sandy area for lounging but you have to access the water via steps because of the rocks -- but it's great for snorkeling.

Or, if you're just going to wade a bit along the shore and want a beach to hang at, check out the Rasta Bar (I think it goes by the name Paradise Café, not to be confused with Paradise Beach), down just at the turn from the south beach road to the east beach road. Great beach, good drinks, good food. Little longer taxi ride than to other beaches. Or head for Playa Palancar, before Punta Sur. Also a nice beach, sandier bottom, good food and drinks and less crowds.