Vibration on NA

Doug J

My eyeballs shook loose from their sockets. My teeth were wrenched from my jaw, and ripped from my gums. (They skittered [gasp!] across the deck, winding up in the briny deep.)

Honestly though... We didn't notice any vibration and we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three weeks last year. If you are very sensitive to motion or areas highly suggestible, you might want to give the ship a pass. You'll probably want to avoid Celebrity too there are quite a few threads about movement there as well.

Been on the NA 2 or 3 times and also don't recall any vibration except in the Tamarind restaurant. Even this can be avoided if you take one of the mid-ships tables up there.

Edited by doublebzz

We were in a stern cabin (5188) in February and can attest to the fact that there were occasional strong vibrations, primarily when entering or departing port, but they never bothered us. I'd certainly book again with no absolutely concern.

We got some neighbors hooked on cruising and they have sailed a few lines the past 2 years. They said they would never cruise HAL again due to NA vibration. They said the coffee shook itself right out of the cup onto the table. This was their first (and only) HAL cruise. I have only been on Prinsendam so I have nothing to say about that problem. Just makes me cautious, though.

I don't mind vibration, but isn't the question asking about the mechanical issue that some CC members posted, that was supposed to get fixed during drydock? I'm curious.

Anybody back from a cruise on the NA since the recent drydock?

We got some neighbors hooked on cruising and they have sailed a few lines the past 2 years. They said they would never cruise HAL again due to NA vibration. They said the coffee shook itself right out of the cup onto the table. This was their first (and only) HAL cruise.

:rolleyes:

My eyeballs shook loose from their sockets. My teeth were wrenched from my jaw, and ripped from my gums. (They skittered [gasp!] across the deck, winding up in the briny deep.)

You are too funny. However, that is how I felt about the aft wraparound I had on the Noordam a few years ago and made me swear off of those cabins.

Terri

Whenever you are in a part of a ship that is over (or near) the props you are risking vibration issues which often will occur at specific prop speeds. Some of this is mechanical vibration but more often it is caused by "cavitation" which is an age old problem that drives marine architects to drink and even "walk the plank." DW and I seldom have to deal with this since we love cabins up near the bow where it is quiet (there are no major mechanical/engines in this part of the ship other then the seldom used bow thrusters). Of course others hate the bow quarter since this part of the ship is subject to more movement in rough seas (this just puts DW and I to sleep).

Hank

Whenever you are in a part of a ship that is over (or near) the props you are risking vibration issues which often will occur at specific prop speeds. Some of this is mechanical vibration but more often it is caused by "cavitation" which is an age old problem that drives marine architects to drink and even "walk the plank." DW and I seldom have to deal with this since we love cabins up near the bow where it is quiet (there are no major mechanical/engines in this part of the ship other then the seldom used bow thrusters). Of course others hate the bow quarter since this part of the ship is subject to more movement in rough seas (this just puts DW and I to sleep).

Hank

We booked aft of Rotterdam deck for both our upcoming Eurodam & NA cruises just to be close to the Sea View Pool. We've always done forward for the rocking. I hope we don't regret it.

Would this location be something you would even consider trying?